Home | News    Thursday 1 May 2014

African mediation team suspends peace talks on Sudan’s Two Areas

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 30, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The African Union’s (AU) mediation team suspended the stalled peace process aimed at ending the conflict in Sudan’s South Kordofan and Blue Nile states on Wednesday, as the government and rebel delegations once again failed to conclude a framework agreement.

JPEG - 29.9 kb
Former South African president Thabo Mbeki now heads the African Union’s mediation team for Sudan’s Two Areas (Photo: Ashraf Shazly/AFP/Getty Images)

Last March, the AU Peace and Security Council (AUPSC) asked the head of the AU High Level Implementation Panel (AUHIP) to broker the talks in order to reach an agreement by 30 April 2014.

On 22 April, chief mediator Thabo Mbeki submitted an amended version to the two parties providing to discuss a cessation of hostilities, humanitarian assistance, and political issues related to the Two Areas. Besides that the mediation proposed to discuss the national dialogue process to achieve democratic transition in the country.

After failing during the past nine days to bridge the gaps between the two parties, the AUHIP mediators on Wednesday evening announced the suspension of the talks. The mediators are expected to report to the AUPSC for further guidance.

“The mediation will present a detailed report to the Peace and Security Council,” said an African diplomat close to the file when reached by Sudan Tribune. He further said that the two parties are responsible for the failure of the negotiations.

He underlined that the panel worked to bring the parties to agree on the main issues that they have to negotiate but every party stuck to its position and refused to make the needed concessions.

Hours before the suspension of the talks the two delegations traded accusations about a meeting they had to hold on Wednesday.

The government team accused the rebels of missing the meeting where the parties had to present their final positions on the proposals of the mediation. But the SPLM-N replied by another communiqué saying they were informed that the encounter had been scheduled for 5:00pm not 9:00am .

Since February, the government refused a demand by the rebels to unify the two tracks for peace in the Two Areas and Darfur and to hold talks with the all the factions of the alliance of armed groups, Sudanese Revolutionary Front (SRF).

The government also maintains its refusal of a framework agreement sealed in June 2011 aiming to establish a political partnership to implement democratic transition between the two warring parties in Blue Nile and South Kordofan .

Initially, Khartoum’s rejection of 28 June agreement was justified by a demand the army made to disarm the SPLM-N fighters before any political partnership. The government recently added that the national dialogue process aims to involve all the political forces including the rebel groups in the democratic transformation.

Recently the SPLM-N proposed a roadmap endorsed by the rebel SRF providing to hold direct talks with the government on the security, humanitarian and political matters in the Two Areas and Darfur, before to convene a meeting to fix the modalities of the national dialogue outside the country.

Observers in Khartoum say the government wants to settle the conflict in the Two Areas but refuses to negotiate with Darfur rebel groups for which it proposes to join the Doha Document for Peace in Darfur, a framework document signed in July 2011.

The Sudanese army this week intensified the bombing on the SPLM-N positions in South Kordofan and announced the recapture of several positions, while the rebels denounced the attacks saying over 70,000 civilians were forced to flee their villages.

The political secretary of the opposition Popular Congress Party (PCP), Kamal Omer, said the suspensions of the peace talks paves the way towards the imposition of international sanctions on the two parties.

He underlined the need for another alterative accepted by all the Sudanese political forces without exception after the suspension of Addis Ababa process.

He further proposed to move the venue of the peace talks to inside the country after the signing of a ceasefire and a presidential pardon for the SPLM-N rebels.

The opposition parties participating in the national dialogue, including the PCP and Umma party, propose to involve all the rebel groups in this internal political process which aims to discuss solutions of armed conflicts in Darfur, the Two Areas and a new constitution.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 1 May 2014 08:37, by Jalaby

    Well, as expected, SPLA-N wanted a joint agreement between them and government only without the the rest of the oppositions,so they wanted to have another copy of Nivasha sick agreement and Yasir Arman, Al-Hilo and Aggar have their seats inside the republican palace as prominent ministers and consultants! who is going to buy that story idiot SPLA-N?

    repondre message

    • 1 May 2014 08:42, by Jalaby

      Well,militray point of view,we have the upper hand in S Kordofan and B. Nile now,SPLA-N are at their weakest situation as SPLA can’t really help because of their own ordeal and south rebel badly exhausted and weaken them,Museveni can’t help SPLA-N without the cooperation of Juba and if Juba decides to help (I doubt) then that will cost them high price they can’t offer

      repondre message

      • 1 May 2014 08:47, by Jalaby

        SPLA-N are left with little option, sign a deal or face the ugly beat on the battle field, Juba can’t help and without their help you will soon run out of ammunition and die of hunger!
        We will soon clear the whole areas from their dirty shit, you will see!!

        repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Thirtieth June 2015 passed on Sudan without stirring dust 2015-07-07 23:32:01 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Even though the writing about the anniversary in memory of the National Islamic Front's (NIF) sinister coup to take power from a legitimate democratically elected (...)

Reform of South Sudan Judiciary: where to start? 2015-07-06 22:36:08 By Ajo Noel Julious K. The other day I was at my favorite tea spot by the roadside at Mahata Yei, sipping hot kerekede – hibiscus tea – as speeding bikers and motor vehicles moved by. In local, (...)

If Garang were to attend the 4th anniversary of independence! 2015-07-05 07:19:40 by Luka Biong Deng July is a special month for the people of South Sudan during which they celebrate their independence as the most important achievement in their political struggle. Also in (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese, human rights groups and advocates demand renewal of UNAMID 2015-06-25 06:03:32 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: New York: Ahmed H.Adam, Tel. +1 347 567 1491 or aha64@cornell.edu Kampala: Abdelrahman Gasim, Tel. +256 7 51 90 77 77 or gasim202000@gmail.com Geneva: Abdelbagi (...)

Civil society groups urge to stop hostilities in W. Bahr El Ghazal 2015-06-11 22:24:37 Urgent action for sustainable peace in Western Bahr El Ghazal State Civil Society Statement: June 10, 2015 Wau –Western Bahr El Ghazal State- The Republic of South Sudan We, civil society (...)

Two South Sudanese pastors face death penalty in Khartoum 2015-06-03 06:08:37 African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies Two South Sudanese Pastors face death penalty for voicing opposition to corruption scandal at Khartoum Bahri Church (2 June 2015) Two South Sudanese (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.