Home | News    Friday 25 April 2014

UN says barge convoy attacked in South Sudan’s Upper Nile state

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 24, 2014 (JUBA) – The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) said on Thursday that a barge convoy carrying food items and fuel was attacked in the Upper Nile state’s Tonga area, leaving four people injured.

The attack occurred at 10:15am (local time) involving rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) and small arms, UNMISS said in a press statement.

“The UN Mission in South Sudan condemns in the strongest possible terms this morning’s unprovoked attack on a convoy of barges hired by the Mission to deliver urgently needed food and fuel supplies to the UNMISS Upper Nile Base in Malakal,” the statement reads in part.

Over 70,000 civilians have sought shelter at UN bases in many parts of the country fearing attack die their ethnicity due to the civil conflict that began in mid-December between the armed forces and defectors who are fighting alongside armed civilians.

The South Sudanese army (SPLA) and the armed opposition – the SPLM/A in Opposition – have been fighting in various parts of the Upper Nile state but both denied the presence of their forces in Tonga.

Last week, South Sudan’s minister of interior, Aleu Ayieny Aleu, said the government was providing protection to the barges on the White Nile river in areas under it control.

Aleu was asked about other barges that are claimed to have triggered tensions upstream in Bor, the capital of Jonglei state, which lies to the south of Upper Nile.

These other barges were delayed in Bor during escalating tensions, which culminated in an attack on a UNMISS camp by local youth who accused the UN of harbouring and arming the White Army – a Nuer civilian militia group fighting alongside South Sudan’s former vice-president, Riek Machar, who is leading the armed opposition.

The attack on the UN base in Bor resulted in the death of at least 48 people, although UNMISS is yet to release the exact number of casualties.

The world body is urging both parties to South Sudan’s conflict “to comply with the cessation of hostilities agreement” which was signed in January but has been largely ignored.

The UN statement accuses neither the SPLA or rebels of attacking its barges.

The attack occurred on Thursday after the barges left Mangalla in Central Equatoria state on 18 April with 16 crew members and 56 peacekeepers, UNMISS said.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 25 April 2014 09:12, by mathem jech amer

    UN should not blame both governemnt and rebels at the same time, UN knows very well that area around Tonga is purely controlled by Riek malitias and they should pay the price.

    repondre message

  • 25 April 2014 11:38, by Ross

    I believe that Government troops are the one that attacked those barges as they did in Malakal. The areas along the river is under control of Government and not rebels. This can be verified by their statement that government will protect UN barges which mean that UN is under protection. Their present in those areas will protect UN Convoy.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The leak AU’s report and IGAD’s threat of sanctions 2015-03-06 20:15:39 By James Okuk On March 7, 2014 and based on decision of the AU Peace and Security Council (PSC) and after consultations with different parties involved in the outbreak of the mid-December 2013 (...)

Doubts remain over South Sudan peace talks 2015-03-04 21:22:01 By John A. Akec News of a possible end to South Sudan’s 11-month-old conflict was received with guarded optimism at the start of February, and there were good reasons for this. On January 21, (...)

What do we expect from the final South Sudan Peace Talks? 2015-02-27 08:41:32 By Luka Biong Deng As the alleged final and last round of peace talks on South Sudan commenced in Addis Ababa, the people of South Sudan attach little hope and expect nothing as they have been (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Archbishop Taban calls for reconciliation and forgiveness 2015-02-23 09:30:38 February 2015 Greetings from Peace Village, Kuron. It is really a Peace Village. I had my peaceful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year in Kuron. God really blessed the area with Peace. You can (...)

WFP appreciates US additional support for S. Sudan’s hungry 2015-02-19 08:20:15 17 February 2015 (JUBA)- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of US$165.5 million from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to feed (...)

Press Release from the SPLM/A (IO) in Uganda 2015-02-11 09:39:09 February 10, 2015 1. The office of the SPLM/A (IO) and the presence of its diplomatic representation that was established under the Kampala outcome of the 21st August 2014 is operational and has (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.