Home | News    Thursday 24 April 2014

UNMISS denies turning civilians away from Bentiu base

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 23, 2014 (JUBA) – The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has disputed “erroneous” comments by the minister of information that it turned civilians away from its base in Unity state capital Bentiu during recent clashes between government forces and rebels for control of the strategic town.

JPEG - 115.2 kb
A UNMISS-supplied photo showing peacekeepers evacuating civilians in Bentiu, the capital of South Sudan’s Unity state, which was the scene of recent ethnically motivated attacks

Michael Makuei Lueth told a press conference on Wednesday that many civilians who fled to the UN compound after violence broke out on 15 and 16 April were instead directed to shelter at the local mosque, hospital or inside churches.

More than 200 civilians were reportedly killed and more than 400 wounded while sheltering at the mosque after rebels aligned with former vice-president retook Bentiu from government forces.

“As usual, citizens, all the time, ran to the UNMISS compound for protection, so that they feel safe. Of the citizens who decided to run to the UNMISS compound, a few were allowed to enter. The others were not allowed to enter by UNMISS,” Lueth told reporters.

“Those unfortunate, innocent, unarmed civilians were slaughtered by the rebel forces in the mosque, in the churches and in the hospital”.

However, in a statement issued on Wednesday, UNMISS said that at no point did it turn away any civilians seeking protection at the site.

“Since 15 April, the number of civilians accommodated in the UNMISS base north of Bentiu rose from about 8,000 to approximately 22,500 today (Wednesday),” the statement said, adding that its peacekeepers had gone to the main hospital and the Kali-Ballee Mosque to extract civilians trapped at the sites after learning of the attacks.

UNMISS distributed photos to media which appear to show its troops extracting hundreds of civilians from the hospital.

“All told, over 500 trapped civilians were extracted by UNMISS from the hospital and other places and taken to the protection of civilians site in the mission’s base,” its statement adds.

The body also expressed concern over remarks by the minister that soldiers who claimed to have returned to the South Sudanese army (SPLA) then rebelled again with support from internally displaced persons (IDPs) living inside the UNMISS camp and attacked Bentiu.

“The mission is concerned that the remarks associating the IDPs with a particular military group could place all of them at risk of being targeted and attacked,” the statement said.

“The mission wishes to emphasise the primary responsibility of the South Sudanese authorities for protecting all of their country’s civilian population and particularly the vulnerable, who include the displaced in UNMISS camps,” it adds.

JPEG - 117.1 kb
It is alleged that civilians sheltering at Bentiu’s main hospital were deliberately targeted in the latest outbreak of ethnically motivated violence in South Sudan (Photo: UNMISS)

It is alleged rebel forces in Bentiu conducted searches and carried out targeted killings of civilians after determining their ethnicity or nationality.

Images to emerge from the town show the bodies of the dead lying outside the mosque and scattered in the streets.

It has also been alleged that hate speech was broadcast on local radio, inciting violence and urging local men to rape Nuer women.

Political tensions in South Sudan erupted in violence in mid-December last year, with the conflict taking on on a disturbing ethnic dimension as loyalties divided along Kiir’s Dinka tribe and Machar’s Nuer ethnic group.

The latest outbreak of ethnic violence has shattered a January ceasefire deal signed between the South Sudanese government and the Machar-led Sudan People’s Liberation Movement in Opposition, sparking international condemnation.

The chairperson of the African Union Commission, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, described the targeting of civilians as a “dastardly act”, while the US issued a strongly worded statement saying the accounts emerging from Bentiu “shock the conscience”.

UN secretary-general Ban Ki-Moon said the killings may constitute a war crime and has called for an immediate investigation.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 24 April 2014 12:33, by Wicdail

    It’s has becomes a norms for Kirr and his brutal regime to accused the UNMISS for unfounded allegations is it? What a useless leadership never exist in this Planet Earth? How come UNMISS could virtually imagine to deny civilians entries into their compound, when it’s their mandate and moral duty to protect lives from danger? Was it not the SPLA and JEM who block the civilians’ entry into UNMISS?

    repondre message

    • 24 April 2014 12:45, by Wicdail

      Why you do you run away from war field, if you don’t want to be disarmed by UN guards at the gates; so that you can be allow to entry into the UN’s population area in the camp?

      repondre message

  • 24 April 2014 14:44, by Padiet Deng Alony

    Minister Makuei is right unmiss denied others civilians to inter the compound. one of my friend who is now in unmiss compound in bentiu told me that some civilians were denied to enter compound

    repondre message

  • 24 April 2014 15:07, by Padiet Deng Alony

    Minister Makuei is right unmiss denied others civilians to inter the compound. one of my friend who is now in unmiss compound in bentiu told me that some civilians were denied to enter compound

    repondre message

    • 24 April 2014 23:45, by Frak Cho

      Please UNMISS and the US, what investigation again and it is very clear that the killing of civilians was done by the rebels under the command of Maj.Gen. James Koang Chuol and is seconded by Dr Riek Machar that’s why he is silent. Merciless is the frequent habit of Nuer militias as can be reflected in the case of 1991 Bor massacre.

      repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


IGAD: Artificial solution on South Sudan conflict 2015-01-30 19:33:13 By James Gatdet Dak On Thursday, 29th of January, 2015, heads of state and government of the African regional bloc, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), served the warring (...)

Arms transfers to South Sudan ensure a violent future for a people desperate for peace 2015-01-28 14:06:46 By Geoffrey L. Duke Peace advocates around the world were shocked by news of China’s shipment of arms to the Government of South Sudan in June 2014. The shipment reportedly included $38 million (...)

A reading of the Arusha intra-SPLM agreement 2015-01-28 09:39:38 By: Dr Lam Akol On the 21st of January 2015, the three factions of the SPLM (now calling themselves ‘Groups’) inked in Arusha, Tanzania, an agreement dubbed “Agreement on the Reunification of the (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s Security Services raid and order closure of Mahmoud Mohamed Taha Cultural Centre 2015-01-24 03:41:41 African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies (23 January 2015) At 11am on 18 January, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) of Omdurman, Khartoum state, raided the Mahmoud (...)

Women groups announce their support for Sudan Call 2015-01-17 08:34:07 Position Statement from the Women’s Political Forces and Civil Society organizations and Groups on the Sudan Call To the People of Sudan We, the undersigned women, are fully motivated by our (...)

Norway grants US $1.9 million for humanitarian needs in Darfur 2014-12-16 06:47:08 The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - KHARTOUM Norway helps provide nutritious food to malnourished families in Sudan 14 December 2014 KHARTOUM – The United Nations World Food Programme (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.