Home | News    Wednesday 23 April 2014

S. Sudan army says it repulsed multiple rebel attacks


April 22, 2014 (JUBA) – The South Sudanese army (SPLA) said on Tuesday that it had repulsed rebel fighters under the leadership of former vice-president Riek Machar from attempting to extend their control on a number of fronts in Jonglei, Unity and Upper Nile states.

JPEG - 30.1 kb
The South Sudanese army (SPLA) spokesperson, Phillip Aguer (Photo: AFP/Getty Images)

Philip Aguer, the spokesperson for the army, said government troops had tactically decided to pull out of Mayom, a key strategic county located on the border with Sudan to the west of the Unity state capital, Bentiu.

“SPLA forces have been fighting serious and heavy battles in Unity state and they are still continuing as we speak,” Aguer told Sudan Tribune on Tuesday.

“But because our forces did not want to cause destruction and to avoid civilians being caught up in the crossfire, because you know that Mayom was inhabited by the civil population who returned to the area after the SPLA forces took control in January, they decided to make tactical withdrawal. But they are still around. They did not go far,” he added.

Rebel fighters who took control of Bentiu last week conducted searches on civilians sheltering in mosques, churches and a hospital, killing people based on their ethnicity or nationality, the United Nations said in its report issued on Monday.

“Fighting is ongoing, we are close by and will not let the rebels advance further,” Aguer remarked, insisting that the army remained in control of major oil fields and the country’s refinery, also located in Unity state.

Rebel spokesman Brig. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang denied, in a statement on Tuesday, UN reports which accused of them of committing atrocities in Bentiu town after taking control from government troops, describing it as “unfounded, cheap propaganda”.

“These are ridiculous allegations fabricated by enemies of war of resistance for democratic reforms. These allegations are aimed at tarnishing our image, name and reputation,” Ruai said in a statement extended to Sudan Tribune on Tuesday.

“Our democratic forces have crystal clear rules of engagement and operate under strict orders not to target civilians and other nonmilitary targets,” he added.

He said government troops and their allied fighters were entirely responsible for systematic killing of civilians and foreign nationals in Bentiu town and Rubkona.

“The government forces and their allies committed these heinous crimes while retreating,” he claimed, adding that fighters under the command of Major General Simon Gatwech Dual had taken control of Jonglei’s Duk county on Tuesday.

“The SPLA/SPLM forces, under the overall command of Maj. General Simon Gatwech Dual, this morning liberated Mareng, an administrative headquarters of Duk county, along with other government military outposts of Pajut, Duk Deng, Patuo-Noy and Poktap,” Ruai said in a statement.

He claimed that government troops were retreating towards Twic East county.

“Our regular forces and volunteer fighters conducted operation against government forces. The combined forces are moving with lightning speed in order to go and rescue survivors of Bor massacre last week,” the statement adds.


The South Sudan army spokesperson also confirmed that heavy fighting occurred in eastern Jonglei and north-east Upper Nile state, but said rebel attempts were repulsed during which scores of opposition fighters were allegedly killed.

“The SPLA forces in Upper Nile repulsed rebels attack today. We do not have complete details of the fighting but the report we have indicate that 48 rebels were killed,northeast Aguer said on Tuesday.

“The fighting in Jonglei was heavy but the rebels were also repulsed,” he said.

Sudan Tribune was unable to independently verify rebel claims that they had taken over some areas in Jonglei, as well as government claims of killing several rebels in Upper Nile.

The latest clashes have drawn international condemnation and calls for those responsible to be held accountable. The United States has already threatened sanctions against those responsible for the continued war.

On Tuesday, Samantha Power, the US envoy to the UN, warned that “all responsible for South Sudan horrors and deliberately targeting civilians must be held accountable”.


Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 23 April 2014 10:12, by mathem jech amer

    Rebel spokesman
    "The government forces and their Allies committed these heinous crimes while retreating" They are really taught by Arabs to lie when they were fighting South Sudanese for their freedom. How come that government forces run out of Bentiu and come back again to kill people in Mosque, churches, hospitals?

    repondre message

    • 23 April 2014 10:27, by Mi diit

      HAHAHAAAA… Duk county commissioner has indirectly confirmed that government soldiers are chased to Panyagoor in Twic East county as said by the rebels. He even expected the SPLA commanders to join him there in Panyagoor where he ran to for his life. Ahahahaaa…

      repondre message

  • 23 April 2014 10:26, by Mi diit

    Liars! I told you Philip Aguer will admit capture of Mayom in one to two days. Now who will believe them since their lies and denials are known worldwide? They will also admit the defeats by the rebels in other areas soon as usual. This year 2014 is the end of their sorry leadership in South Sudan. Mark my words.

    repondre message

    • 23 April 2014 13:36, by Bentiu son

      Renk Town in Upper Nile State had fallen into hands of our gallantry SPLA in Opposition under Dr Machar while Malakal and Paloich Oilfield are falling at de moment too.Soon,the Upper Nile State will be free from pro Salva Kiir’s Gelweng militias/SPLA and their hired mercenaries/invaders/new colonial forces of Museveni plus Sudan’s rebels JEM or SPLA-N respectively.

      repondre message

  • 23 April 2014 20:50, by George Bol

    Source: Nuer rebels for Riek Machar request Arab from Khartoum to fight for the control of Upper Nile to secure oil fileds,so Arab and his rebels share oil revenue 50/50. SAF had attack Renk town close to N.Sudan and it happened in Bentiu,all towns bordering Sudan are under severe attacks.Nuer loves to beg Arabs always but at the end we forced them to beg us. Worse is coming now that Paul Malang

    repondre message

Comment on this article


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

52nd Anniversary of the glorious October 21, 1964 Sudanese revolution 2016-10-21 12:43:46 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Friday the 21st October 2016 will mark the 52nd Anniversary of the Glorious Sudanese October 21, 1964 Revolution. On that date, my memories go far back to the unique (...)

Chemical Weapons Use in Darfur: The World walks away 2016-10-18 22:12:17 By Eric Reeves Despite overwhelming evidence of Khartoum’s use of chemical weapons in the Jebel Marra region of Darfur (western Sudan), the international community seems to be quietly walking (...)

Resources grabbing in the Nile Basin 2016-10-17 22:57:47 MISUSE, MISMANAGEMENT AND MISINVESTMENTS By Mohamed S. M. Yassin Ting Fa Margherita Chang Luca Iseppi Abstract. Historically the Nile constituted the major source of life for million of (...)


Latest Press Releases

Amnesty urges to investigate chemical weapons Sudan’s Jebel Marra 2016-10-12 12:52:01 Sudan: International chemical weapons investigation urgently needed into horrific Jebel Marra attacksAMNESTY INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH 11 October 2016 Sudan: International chemical weapons (...)

UNAMID JSR’s statement read to the media on peace in Darfur 2016-10-10 20:57:56 African Union United Nations Mission in Darfur Though the region of Darfur is relatively peaceful at this time, a small portion of Jebel Marra within Darfur continues to be intermittently (...)

Sudan: No justice for protester killings 2016-09-23 08:03:30 (Nairobi, September 22, 2016) – Sudanese authorities have yet to provide justice to victims of a violent crackdown on anti-austerity protesters in Khartoum in September 2013, the African Centre (...)


Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.