Home | News    Tuesday 22 April 2014

Sudanese army claims sweeping victories in South Kordofan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 21, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) has announced liberation of 5 areas in South Kordofan state within the framework of the second phase of the Decisive Summer campaign to end rebellion in the state.

JPEG - 35.2 kb
Rebel fighters from the Sudan People’s Liberation Army-North (SPLA-N) on patrol in the border state of South Kordofan on 6 April 2012 (Photo: AFP/Adriane Ohanesian)

Earlier this month, the defence minister, Abdel-Rahim Mohamed Hussein, told the parliament that the Decisive Summer military campaign against the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLA-N) in the Nuba Mountain has begun.

While, the director of the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS), Mohamed Atta, announced that units of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) militia were deployed in South Kordofan state to take part in the military operations.

SAF’s spokesperson, Al-Sawarmi Khalid Saad, said at a press conference on Monday they launched sweeping attack on rebel areas and recaptured the areas of East and West Zalataya, Saraf Falata, Tendomin, and Tagilbo, noting that rebels suffered heavy losses in lives and equipments.

Saad pointed that the liberated areas are rich in gold and include large groups of traditional miners, adding that SAF opened safe corridors for the residents.

The governor of South Kordofan state, Adam Al-Faki, for his part, said that SAF liberated 7500 people from the grip of the rebellion, underscoring the government seeks to achieve peace through negotiation with the rebels.

He called upon armed bearers to turn themselves in to SAF’s position and added that the latter would continue cleansing the area from rebellion in order to return residents to their areas.

He further stressed that SAF is capable of securing villages and liberated areas.

700,000 CIVILIANS DISPLACED : REBELS

But the spokesperson of the rebel Sudanese People’s Liberation Movement/North (SPLM-N), Arnu Ngutulu Lodi, said in a press release on Monday the second phase of the government’s Decisive Summer campaign led to displacement of 70.000 people in villages of Tomi, Tengalo, Al-Mansour, Kalopa, Klaro, Tarawa, Tendomin, Tagilbo, and Zalataya in Rashad province in the Nuba Mountain.

He claimed the government’s troops looted cattle and destroyed water pumps and wells, asserting that the government army continued to bomb displaced civilians in their hideouts in the mountains using heavy artillery and aircrafts.

Lodi added that several villages in Al-Abasiya province were bombed by Sukhoi Super jet, asserting that large number of cows perished and residents were terrified.

The Sudanese government has been battling the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/North (SPLM-N) in South Kordofan state for nearly three years.

The conflict erupted in 2011 when Sudan attempted to forcibly disarm SPLM-N fighters it accuses of being backed by their brother-in-arms in the South Sudanese army.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 22 April 06:23, by Akol Liai Mager

    Pathetic! Victories over its own citizens they are supposed to protect whilst Beja people suffer Egyptian occupation of their lands of Hallaib and Shallatine? genocidal forces must understand that these are the same victories they have claimed every now and then in South Sudan that got them back to Khartoum with only blood in their hands.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


World’s newest nation has unprecedented opportunity to end sexual violence in conflict 2014-10-17 21:34:44 By Zainab Hawa Bangura October 17, 2014 - As United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) on Sexual Violence in Conflict, I completed my first trip to South Sudan last (...)

Celebrate the golden jubilee of the October 1964 Sudanese revolution 2014-10-17 21:34:32 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman October 17, 2014 - Despite the dearth and lack of what needs celebration and rejoice in the reign of the National Congress Party (NCP) regime led by the tyrant genocidal (...)

Sudan, Iran, the Obama Administration, and Khartoum’s political vision" 2014-10-16 09:05:01 More about what we learn from the leaked minutes of the August 31 meeting bringing together Khartoum's most senior military and security officials By Eric Reeves October 15, 2014 - The document (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.