Home | News    Thursday 17 April 2014

US pledges ongoing support for humanitarian efforts in S. Sudan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 16, 2014 (BOR) – The US government’s humanitarian agency USAID has pledged to continue support for hundreds of thousands of people in critical need due to the ongoing crisis in South Sudan crisis.

JPEG - 90.3 kb
USAID’s Jeremy Konyndyk speaks to journalist Jacob Achiek in Bor, the capital of South Sudan’s Jonglei state, during a visit to the region (ST)

Speaking to the media in Jonglei capital Bor on Wednesday, USAID’s director of foreign disaster assistance, Jeremy Konyndyk, said his government had provided substantial assistance to South Sudanese people since a political power struggle between president Salva Kir and his former deputy, Riek Machar, erupted in violence in mid-December last year.

During his visit, Konyndyk visited displaced camp in Lakes state’s Mingkaman and Bor, also holding discussions with government representatives on the humanitarian situation in the country.

The US government is among the leading donors to the South Sudan crisis.

“The US government has already provided a great deal of support to South Sudan to address this humanitarian crisis since 15 December. We are providing millions and millions of dollars for the activities in Mingkaman and some activities here in [Bor],” said Konyndyk.

Konyndyk said USAID is currently providing assistance to people in both government and rebel-controlled areas, but said accessibility remained a major hurdle in delivering relief supplies.

“We are providing aid to people who are in serious need no matter who controls the area,” he said.

Konyndyk has called on both the government and rebel forces to lay down their arms and seriously engage in peace talks to resolve their differences non-violently, adding that a full-scale humanitarian intervention could only be conducted if a ceasefire was in place.

“This conflict should stop immediately. Both the government and the rebels should lay down guns and engaged seriously in the peace talk to resolve their differences peacefully not violently. This is only way to resolve humanitarian situation,” he said.

Jonglei was the scene of brutal fighting after violence in the capital spread to other areas, with much of the capital destroyed and about 100,000 people fleeing across the Nile to Mingkaman.

The influx of internally displaced people has seen the population on the tiny town on the White Nile swell significantly.

Conditions at the camps remains extremely basic, with many of the new arrivals lacking adequate shelter or regular sources of clean water and food.

Almost one million people have been displaced by the ongoing crisis in South Sudan, with thousands fleeing to neighbouring countries, including Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda.

International aid agencies have issued stark warnings, saying South Sudan is facing a humanitarian catastrophe and is edging closer to famine.

The UN says that 1.1 million people have so far been reached with humanitarian assistance, but almost five million people remain in need.

Aid agencies have so far struggled to raise funds to meet humanitarian needs in the country, with donor fatigue and minimal press coverage of the conflict blamed for the poor response.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 17 April 10:41, by Jalaby

    Well, US has to be blamed about all the chaos and killing that are going on in S Sudan, they tried to establish a country that doesn’t have the basic necessary elements to be a country valid for survival!
    US should take the ethical responsibility and announce to the whole world its responsibility about what’s happening in the south now and apologize to the whole world

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan: Justice remains elusive, one year on 2014-12-17 04:17:40 By Elizabeth Deng December 16 2014 - A year after the outbreak of violence in Juba last December, hopes of accountability for abuses linked to the conflict remain distant. Despite repeated calls (...)

President Salva Kiir has betrayed his people and the nation 2014-12-17 04:15:00 By James Gatdet Dak December 15, 2014 - After many painful decades of destructive war of liberation against successive oppressive regimes in Khartoum, people of South Sudan gained their hard won (...)

Sudan protects terrorists 2014-12-15 04:29:57 By Kimberly Hollingsworth* December 15, 2014 - Sudan used to be the heart of Africa; now, Sudan is the heart of international terrorist organizations. Sudan is the hub for training extremists. (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Norway grants US $1.9 million for humanitarian needs in Darfur 2014-12-16 06:47:08 The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - KHARTOUM Norway helps provide nutritious food to malnourished families in Sudan 14 December 2014 KHARTOUM – The United Nations World Food Programme (...)

Darfur Association "disheartened" by ICC decision to not meet them 2014-12-14 05:50:13 12 December 2014 RE: DPANY Requests/Direction of the OTP in the Situation of Darfur Dear Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, We, the Darfur People's Association of New York, are disheartened by your (...)

REDRESS calls for the immediate release of Sudan’s distinguished human rights lawyer 2014-12-10 09:02:53 December 9, 2014 ­­ — REDRESS, and many other individuals and organisations around the world, are extremely concerned by the continuing secret detention of Dr. Amin Mekki Medani. On Saturday, 4 (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.