Home | News    Monday 14 April 2014

Sudan’s rebel alliance rejects government call for national dialogue


April 14, 2014 (KHARTOUM) - The rebel alliance of the Sudan Revolutionary Front (SRF) Sunday has reiterated its rejection to take part in the national dialogue, saying the government is escalating military operations instead of declaring cessation of hostilities and making confidence-building measures.

JPEG - 59.7 kb
SRF leaders, form the left, Gibril Ibrahim (JEM), Malik Agar (SPLM-N), Abdel wahil Al Nur (SLM-AW) Minnin Minnawi (SLM-MM) and Yasir Arman (SPLM-N), on 4 October 2012 after the signing of a new political agreement between the rebel groups in Kampala, Uganda (Photo SRF)

The rebel SRF, which says that a constitutional conference must lead to restore a democratic regime in Sudan, demands that such national process intervene after holding direct talks with them to negotiate a cessation of hostilities and open humanitarian access to civilians in the rebel areas.

The alliance pointed in a statement on Sunday that its leadership held continuous meetings throughout last week to assess the political situation and decide on participation in the national dialogue, saying it decided not to take part in it.

The statement added this strategic decision was made following a deep evaluation, pointing out that the regime launched systemic military operations during the last couple of months including escalation of aerial bombardment and ground attacks carried out by government militias targeting civilians in Darfur, South Kordofan, North Kordofan, and Blue Nile.

"The Revolutionary Front is not ready to participate in this farce par excellence. We represent the victims, their mothers, their parents, sisters and brothers , and we cannot provide a cover for the continuation of war crimes in the name of (dialogue).", said the statement.

The rebels said the government only seeks to buy time in order to produce another version of the same regime and draft a new constitution under the control of its security apparatus.

The statement added that the SRF doesn’t reject the dialogue and the comprehensive peaceful solution , but they want a dialogue to be based on clear roadmap to "move from war to peace and from totalitarianism to democracy".


In Khartoum, the ruling National Congress Party (NCP) reiterated its call for the rebel groups to join the national dialogue saying they are ready to offer guarantees for the rebel groups that accept to take part in the political process.

"We are in consultation with the dialogue partners to see what is the appropriate mechanism to extend an invitation to the armed movements and how we can engage the rebels in the dialogue", further said the head of NCP political sector Yasser Youssef on Sunday.

The government says rebel groups should reach separate peace deals to end war in Darfur and the Two Areas, but the rebels ask for a national conference brokered by the African Union and the United Nations before to hold the dialogue.

Also, the political forces that refusing the process and the SRF demand to form a national government to lead the country during an interim period and to implement the outcome of the inclusive and national process.


Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

SOUTH SUDAN: peace or genocide? 2015-10-07 12:59:30 By Richard Moula President Salva Kiir of South Sudan has once again declared a war of genocide and ethnic cleansing on the small ethnic tribe of Moru in Western Equatoria. As from 16th (...)

G-10 critique of establishment order is a complete baloney 2015-10-07 12:59:22 By Gordon Buay Muolana John Luk must be joking to argue that the Establishment Order that created the 28 states violated South Sudan Transitional Constitution without admitting that the (...)

Why rejecting creation of more states in South Sudan? 2015-10-05 16:31:37 By Peter Gai Manyuon South Sudanese president Salva Kiir has unilaterally decreed expansion of the current Ten (10) states to 28 federal states in the country in an unexpected move announced on (...)


Latest Press Releases

S. Sudan civil society groups to the 28 states issue to constitutional body 2015-10-08 17:26:10 South Sudan Civil Society Organizations Submission on the Creation of 28 States in the Republic of South Sudan Press Statement For immediate Release 8th October 2015 Following the announcement (...)

Sudan Democracy First Group Statement on The International Day for Democracy 2015-10-01 22:18:58 22 September 2015 Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) commemorated on 15 September 2015 the International Day for Democracy, which the United Nations (UN) marks as a day to encourage governments (...)

Ambassador Buay congratulates South Sudanese diplomats for blocking sanctions 2015-09-19 00:20:30 SOUTH SUDAN DIPLOMATS IN MOSCOW SHOULD BE CONGRATULATED FOR PERSUADING THE FEDERATION OF RUSSIA TO BLOCK SANCTIONS For Immediate Release 9/18/2015 The people of South Sudan are extremely (...)


Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.