Home | News    Sunday 13 April 2014

IGAD ceasefire monitors commence operations in South Sudan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

By Tesfa-Alem Tekle

April 12, 2014 (ADDIS ABABA) – A ceasefire monitoring team established by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) has officially begun monitoring a fragile truce signed by South Sudan’s warring parties.

JPEG - 10.4 kb
IGAD’s chief mediator for South Sudan peace talks, Seyoum Mesfin, speaks to the press following the signing of a cessation of hostilities agreement between the South Sudanese government and rebels in Addis Ababa on 23 January 2014 (Photo: AFP)

The East African bloc, which is brokering peace talks between the South Sudanese government and the rebel SPLM-In-Opposition, said on Friday that it had dispatched Monitoring and Verification Teams (MVTs) to South Sudan as part of regional efforts to secure a peaceful solution to the crisis in Africa’s youngest nation.
.
The first monitoring team was deployed to Jonglei state capital Bor on 1 April, followed by a second team, which was deployed to Unity state’s Bentiu on 5 April.

IGAD said it is planning to deploy a separate team to Upper Nile state capital Malakal on 15 April.

More teams are also planned to be dispatched to Nassir, Akobo and other areas in the near future.

IGAD has also set up a Joint Technical Committee headquartered in the nation’s capital, Juba, to supervise the monitoring teams.

The joint committee comprises representatives of the two warring parties, IGAD member states, the African Union, UN and other nations backing the IGAD-sponsored peace process.

According to the regional bloc, the MVTs will be tasked with “assessing, monitoring, investigating, verifying and reporting allegations of violations against the cessation of hostilities” agreement.

“As an impartial and transparent mission, the MVT is focused on supporting the efforts of IGAD’s special envoys to find a peaceful and sustainable solution to the crisis in South Sudan,” IGAD said in a statement released on Friday.

South Sudan has been engulfed by fierce violence since mid-December last year when forces loyal to president Salva Kiir clashed with members of the presidential guard loyal to former vice-president Riek Machar, who now heads the rebel movement.

The conflict has claimed the lives of thousands of people and displaced over one million.

Continued fighting and food insecurity is also forcing tens of thousands to flee to neighbouring countries, including some 100,000 to Ethiopia.

The two conflicting SPLM parties signed a ceasefire agreement in 23 January following weeks of IGAD-led negotiations, however, the peace pact has failed to halt fighting on the ground, with both sides accusing each other of violating the terms of the deal.

The involvement of foreign troops, particularly Ugandan forces, which are fighting rebels alongside the government army, has also hindered the implementation of the ceasefire and efforts to a reach a speedy peace deal.

South Sudan’s warring parties are due to resume a new round of negotiations on 22 April in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, without the participation of the seven former political detainees.

IGAD recently announced the so-called SPLM-7, who were detained in connection to their alleged role in a plot to overthrow the government before being released, would be excluded from the talks.

The move followed threats by South Sudan to boycott talks if the group of seven were allowed to take part.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 13 April 12:18, by Uncle J

    I can’t wait to see IGAD monitoring team to establish their base in Nasir where monarchy of Nuer Kingdom exist*** God of Ngundeng can you please help Nuer people.

    repondre message

  • 14 April 05:11, by siddaw

    What we need is nothing but PEACE to prevail in Junub. We can’t regularly be losing people in the name of sustaining the two empty headed and failed leaders know as (Riek and Kiir). South Sudan is better than them and we can’t be losing people like that without any clear objective.
    WE NEED PEACE.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


September 23 Uprising remains milestone in Sudanese struggle for democracy 2014-09-28 03:25:50 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman September 27, 2014 - This article comes against the backdrop of the First Anniversary of the September 23, 2013 Sudanese Popular Uprising. Moreover, on this saddening Day (...)

What the Khartoum regime really thinks 2014-09-26 06:12:06 (leaked minutes of critical August 2014 meeting of senior military and security official) By Eric Reeves September 24, 2014 - I received on 22 September 2014, from a source within Sudan whom (...)

Contextualizing realities of the crisis in N. Bahr el Ghazal government (Part 1) 2014-09-24 14:01:21 By Deng Dut Lual September 24, 2014 - The government of Northern Bahr el Ghazal state led by Kuel Aguer Kuel in a caretaker position has been seriously leaking. Leaking is a damning word that (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.