Home | News    Saturday 12 April 2014

Jonglei authorities recover 15 tractors looted from Bor

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 11, 14 (BOR) The ministry of agriculture and forestry in South Sudan’s Jonglei state has recovered 15 tractors that were looted following the outbreak of violence in South Sudan.

JPEG - 84.2 kb
Jonglei state’s minister of agriculture, Mayen Ngor, showing officials the tractors recovered in the capital, Bor, on 11 April 2014 (ST)

State government officials toured the ministry grounds on Friday to inspect the recovered tractors in the capital, Bor.

In a statement to officials, the minister of agriculture, Mayen Ngor, said 15 tractors were recently found scattered in and around Bor after they were looted from the ministry between December 2013 and January 2014.

Some of the recovered tractors were found to be missing parts.

Caretaker governor John Kong Nyuon said the tractors had been intended to assist people with growing and harvesting crops in a bid to boost food security in the state.

Nyuon has expressed disappointment at the theft of the tractors.

“Our people did bad work, more than what the rebels [did]. The state should have benefited a lot from these tractors,” the governor said.

The 15 tractors are the only ones to be recovered so far from the 48 that were stolen by looters, with the remaining 33 believed to be in rebel-controlled areas.

The state government had purchased 18 tractors since late 2012, with another 30 donated by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in collaboration with United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID).

According to the minister, among the 15 tractors four were intended for Pibor county and two for Pochalla, but were never delivered due to the inaccessibility of roads last year.

He said the farmers who managed to use the tractors in Bor county produced 30,000 bags of cereal crops in 2013, ready for sale to NGOs this year.

“These tractors, despite the fact that there were lot of floods, crops were destroyed, these tractors, they did a wonderful job. They increased food production and they improved food security,” said Ngor.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


September 23 Uprising remains milestone in Sudanese struggle for democracy 2014-09-28 03:25:50 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman September 27, 2014 - This article comes against the backdrop of the First Anniversary of the September 23, 2013 Sudanese Popular Uprising. Moreover, on this saddening Day (...)

What the Khartoum regime really thinks 2014-09-26 06:12:06 (leaked minutes of critical August 2014 meeting of senior military and security official) By Eric Reeves September 24, 2014 - I received on 22 September 2014, from a source within Sudan whom (...)

Contextualizing realities of the crisis in N. Bahr el Ghazal government (Part 1) 2014-09-24 14:01:21 By Deng Dut Lual September 24, 2014 - The government of Northern Bahr el Ghazal state led by Kuel Aguer Kuel in a caretaker position has been seriously leaking. Leaking is a damning word that (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.