Home | News    Wednesday 9 April 2014

South Sudan rival forces trade accusations over ceasefire violation

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 6, 2014 (JUBA) – The South Sudanese army (SPLA) and fighters allied to former vice-president turned rebel leader Riek Machar have traded accusations over alleged violations of a ceasefire agreement signed in January.

JPEG - 57.3 kb
Soldiers from the South Sudanese army (SPLA) on patrol in Lakes state’s Yirol East county on 15 February 2014 (Photo: Fabio Bucciarelli/Al Jazeera)

SPLA spokesman Colonel Philip Aguer has accused rebels of carrying out a campaign of mass mobilisation of the civil population with clear intent to launch an attack on government positions, describing it “belligerent act” against the cessation of hostilities agreement.

Aguer said it appeared rebels were particularly targeting oil fields in Upper Nile state, adding that attempts over the past few days had been repulsed.

Although the general security situation in the country remained relatively calm, the military spokesperson said the army was remaining vigilant and a disarmament campaign is ongoing.

“The SPLA forces have collected over 500 different types of weapons in Juba and this operation is still continuing until there are no weapons in the hands of unauthorised users. The reason is to keep Juba weapons free town so that no-one feels unsafe”, Aguer told reporters.

He denied claims that the army had launched an attack on rebel-held positions in Upper Nile state, saying he was not aware of any new offensive.

In a statement extended to Sudan Tribune on Monday, Brigadier General Lul Ruai Koang, the spokesperson for the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army in Opposition, said that government troops had launched an attack on rebel forces in Tonga payam (district) and Panyikang county in Upper Nile state.

Koang claimed a combined force comprising of two battalions from the Sudanese rebel groups Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLA-N) had re-occupied the area on 5 April after rebel forces conducted a “well-planned and organised tactical withdrawal”.

General Koang also claimed that separate military offensives in neighbouring oil-rich Unity state’s Mayom and Koc counties had left an unimaginable trail of destruction after government troops attacked Chotcharah, Tanyier Gardeng, Lare and Gotni villages west and south of Mayom county. Buaw and Pakur payams in Koch were also burned down.

“Kiir’s forces and allies escalation of the conflict is a clear violation of the cessation of hostilities agreement and confirms [the] government’s belief in military solution. The SPLA/M in Opposition condemns in the strongest terms possible repeated violations and reserves the right to fight in self-defence whenever attacked anywhere in the country,” Koang said in the statement.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 9 April 2014 13:55, by Bentiu son

    I had Never ever seen a government of a country burning down to ashes her own institutions, properties and facilities. I is only the government run by foolish Dinka Bahr el Ghazal drive to abyss by gossipers from Dinka Bor South,Kuol Manyang,Makuei Lueth,Malaak Ayuel,and liar Philip Aguer Panyang from Twic East.Bahr el Ghazal Dinka must wake up otherwise Dinka Bor South will destroy their brutal r

    repondre message

    • 9 April 2014 16:28, by Mapuor

      Hahahahahah Nyagaats hahahahah government must always be stronger than gangs who rape,loot,displace and kill innocent civilians.You deprived the poo Nuers of their livelihoods.Yal Shramit,miten tafakiru wa tandemu.

      repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


A brief history one man’s destructive misrepresentations 2015-04-18 08:07:54 By Eric Reeves Al Jazeera America is currently airing a two-part documentary that attempts to represent the character and causes of the catastrophe that has overtaken South Sudan following the (...)

Sudan’s election marred by arbitrary detention, and insecurity 2015-04-18 06:31:10 By African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies Sudan’s national general elections began on 13 April 2015. Scheduled to end on 15 April, they were extended one day by the National Elections (...)

President Bashir’s elections: victory by default 2015-04-16 21:24:18 By Magdi El Gizouli Two days before the start of polling in Sudan’s ongoing elections on 13 April a quarter-page insert in the Khartoum newspaper al-Intibaha congratulated the former finance (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese security arrest rights defender Adil Bakheit 2015-04-18 08:04:21 FRONT-LINE DEFENDRSPress StatementSudan Human rights defender Adil Bakheit arrested Human rights defender Mr Adil Bakheit was arrested on 16 April 2015 by the National Intelligence and Security (...)

Which do you choose? Peace or War? 2015-04-18 06:16:42 To the South Sudanese Diaspora Which do you choose? Peace or War? Coalition of Advocates for South Sudan, April 11, 2015 “The Voice of the South Sudanese Diaspora” Who are/What is the South (...)

Seventy-six organizations call for publication of AU Inquiry Report as deadline for peace passes 2015-03-07 05:04:51 6 March 2015: FOR Immediate Release SOUTH SUDAN: The African Union (AU) Peace and Security Council (PSC) should immediately consider, publish and disseminate the final report of the Commission (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.