Home | News    Wednesday 2 April 2014

South Sudan peace talks stall over participation of seven officials

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 1, 2014 (JUBA) - Peace talks end the 14-week-old conflict in South Sudan, are stalled over the government’s insistence on the non-participation of seven officials from the governing Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) who were arrested in connection to allegation that they played a role in an alleged attempted failed coup.

JPEG - 15.9 kb
Seyoum Mesfin (L), chairperson of IGAD meditors, and Taban Deng Gai, SPLM In Opposition chief negotiator, attend the resumption of South Sudan talks in Addis Ababa on 11 February 2014 (Photo: Reuters/Tiksa Negeri)

Hussein Maar Nyuot, the spokesperson for the rebel delegation said talks have been suspended at the request of the mediation team to consult with the IGAD heads of state and government over position of the government on the participation of the seven officials.

"They said they want to go for consultation with the heads of state from IGAD member countries and they will give one month break, which goes up to the 30th of April,” said Nyuot

John Luk Jok, spokesperson of the seven SPLM officials said in a statement extended to Sudan Tribune on Tuesday that the talks were stalled because of the government’s rejection of their participation as signatories to the declaration of principles.

"The government delegation vigorously objected our inclusion as signatory to the document and led to the non-signing of the declaration of principles. This attitude of the government delegation was indeed obstructive to the process and a blatant violation of the IGAD Communiqués" the statement said.

The heads of State and governments of the IGAD member countries emphasised in a joint communiqué last month on the need for participation of the former detainees.

They also reaffirm the need for an inclusive political dialogue, while calling on the parties to include in the negotiations all South Sudanese stakeholders particularly SPLM leaders (including detainees), other political parties and representatives of civil society organisations as deemed necessary by the mediation Process.

The regional block leaders on the other hand called to recognise the former detainees as positive contributors to the peace process.

Jok, a former South Sudanese justice minister, said the government’s insistence on the non-inclusiveness of the process and their crafting of a new declaration of principles and merging the agendas prepared by IGAD for the political talks into one new single agenda has stopped the process from moving forward.

“As a result of this unfortunate position of the government", Jok said, "the future of the talks is now uncertain”.

In Juba, deputy foreign affairs and international cooperation minister, Peter Bashir Gbandi, said the government delegation was simply expressing the general position of the leadership of the country; reiterating talks should only be limited to the two parties in engaged in active combat.

“The identity of this group is not known and until they come out to tell the country who they are, the talks will remain between the government and the rebels of Riek Machar. This was what the leadership involving all the political forces in the country had agreed at the consultative meeting. The letter was written and sent to the IGAD chairperson by our chief negotiator," said Gbandi.

The regional bloc has reportedly given both sides a one-month period for consultation.

The two South Sudanese factions signed a cessation of hostilities agreement in January. Despite this deal, however, the two sides have continued fighting each other.

Last year outbreak of violence in the new nation has seen more than a million people displaced, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in its latest report.

"In the 100 days since the start of the conflict in South Sudan, over one million people have fled their homes,” OCHA said, adding that about 255,000 have fled to neighbouring countries.

The world body estimates that some 3.7 million South Sudanese are now "severely food insecure," with reports that over 10,000 people have been killed in the violence.

Last week, envoys from western nations urged all parties in the South Sudanese conflict to engage constructively in the IGAD-led negotiations.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 2 April 07:34, by Emporio

    Is ridicules to say 3.7 million southerns severely food insecure 10.000 people died in 2 month war propaganda and exgeration have no benefit to the nation

    repondre message

    • 2 April 08:16, by Johndumo14

      BBC-Tuesday,Dr Riek Machar had been found dead in one of the towns seized by his own rebel supporters in South Sudan. Lot of celebrations is going on all over the country,saying ,Justice has been done,to those who were murdered by him since 1991-2013,Allah Akbar,GOD IS GREAT!!!!

      repondre message

      • 2 April 08:25, by Letigolight

        Just wait for the fall of Malakal, the oil fiends and the collapse of the Kiir government

        repondre message

    • 2 April 08:29, by Johndumo14

      There is no smoke without fire .If it is not a true story about Dr Riek`s death,but for sure 90 percent of South sudanese want this man death,is only Nuer supports him!!WHEN PEOPLE WISHING you bad luck,it will happen.What happened to SPLA GENERAL Kerubino kuanyin bol,,will happen to Dr Riek Machar soon.

      repondre message

    • 2 April 08:34, by Johndumo14

      There is no smoke without fire .If it is not a true story about Dr Riek`s death,but for sure 90 percent of South sudanese want this man death,is only Nuer supports him!!WHEN PEOPLE WISHING you bad luck,it will happen.What happened to SPLA GENERAL Kerubino kuanyin bol,,will happen to Dr Riek Machar soon.

      repondre message

    • 2 April 21:56, by Johndumo14

      In South Sudan, rebel chief Machar aims to seize last operating oil field.“We want to take control of the [Paloch] oil field,” the rebel top commander said from his sanctuary of grass-roofed huts in the Upper Nile region. “This is MY oil.” SAYS Machar.

      repondre message

    • 2 April 22:02, by Johndumo14

      In South Sudan, rebel chief Machar aims to seize last operating oil field.“We want to take control of the [Paloch] oil field,” the rebel top commander said from his sanctuary of grass-roofed huts in the Upper Nile region. “This is MY oil.” SAYS Machar.

      repondre message

  • 2 April 08:30, by Letigolight

    Conflict regionalised as South Sudan government singns military treaty with Egypt that will allow it to have bases in South Sudan putting the dams in Ethiopia and Uganda under imminent threat!, It is not actually the participation of the 7 that stalled the talks, but some IGAD members have pulled out as mediators, FULL STOP.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The theory of African president and prime minister, working together 2014-11-22 05:32:12 By Steve Paterno November 21, 2014 - Africa is notoriously known for political instability, stemming in most cases, over power struggle among the ruling elites. Often times, the best and quick (...)

The UNAMID internal report on mass rape in Tabit. 2014-11-21 06:09:21 What UNAMID really said about their investigation of mass sexual assaults on Tabit: The internal report on what investigators found By Eric Reeves November 20, 2014 - On November 12, 2014 (...)

Bullying Darfur 2014-11-13 18:13:39 By Namaa Al-Mahdi November 13, 2014 - “We broke their backs in Abu Karshola, I doubt they have recovered since,” said a prominent Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) member about their counter attack on (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.