March 31, 2014 (JUBA) – At least 30 civilians died and dozens were injured during last week’s attack in Duk county of South Sudan’s Jonglei state, officials said.
- Protestors from Duk county demonstrate in Bor. 13 November 2013 (ST)
“We counted 36 bodies, including children and women and seven people are still missing”, Elijah Mocnom Wuor, the county commissioner told Sudan Tribune on Monday.
“The rebel forces withdrew from the area over [the] weekend”, added Wour who fled Duk Padiet to Twic East county headquarters with thousands of civilians.
However, although initial reports from local officials put the numbers of those displaced at 68,000, no humanitarian agency has accessed the area due to the intensity of the fighting.
“There is no food and people are really suffering,” the commissioner said.
Philip Thon Leek, the Duk county representative in South Sudan national assembly said at least 31 people were injured. 14 of them, he added, were airlifted to Juba on Thursday.
Opposition forces allied to South Sudan’s former vice president, Riek Machar reportedly took control of Duk Padiet payam [district] last week after overrunning local youths.
The attack was the second on Duk county villages since February.
A rebel spokesperson claimed they were provoked by pro-government forces, an allegation the latter denied.