Home | News    Thursday 27 March 2014

Jonglei: Twic East concerned over rebel advance on Duk county’s Poktap and Payuel

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

March 26, 14 (JUBA) – The situation remained in Twic East county despite reports that South Sudanese rebels are advancing on Duk county’s Poktap and Payuel villages of Duk county, officials from the Twic East county headquarters of Panyagoor said on Wednesday.

JPEG - 35.2 kb
People fleeing to the bush from Bor when the South Sudanese rebels attacked the Jonglei capital in December 2013. (Photo: John Actually/ST)

Duk Padiet in Duk county falls under rebel control on Tuesday when the rebels, overran a small force of SPLA and armed civilians from Duk and Twic counties, according to Sources who spoke to Sudan Tribune on Wednesday.

The commissioner of Twic East county, Dau Akoi, told Sudan Tribune that there was calm in his county but added that “panic may build up in Twic East should rebels advance to Poktap and Duk Payuel".

"The security situation is now calm. NGOs are operating normally, daily businesses are going on, we hope that the army is going to control the situation in Duk", Akoi said.

Both the army and rebels have violated the ceasefire deal they signed on 23 January, five weeks after the conflict was triggered by clashes between rival elements of the army in the capital Juba.

The United Nations estimate that 708,900 have been displaced by the conflict, while the International Crisis Group estimated some weeks ago the 10,000 people had been killed.

Commissioner Akoi said the civilians who remained in the villages in Duk county had finally fled to Twic East counties.

Soldiers from the South Sudanese army (SPLA) were seen leaving Panyagoor town on Wednesday heading towards Duk county to face rebel advance.

In a televised statement on South Sudan Television (SSTV) on Wednesday, a member of parliament representing Duk county in South Sudan assembly said the rebels were destroying the villages and killing civilians.

"Fourteen people were injured and 29 others are missing; we still count them dead," said Philip Thon on SSTV.

On the same programme, the SPLA’s spokesman, Philip Aguer, accused the rebels of "consistent attacks" in Duk and other areas since February.

He added that the SPLA unit that was overrun by the rebels in Duk county was small.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 27 March 2014 21:46, by Pinyin Gatkuoth

    Duk county.
    You are those who clamp the problem up from tree and u bring down to ur neck, why u cry now while Thon Leek his a one who told u that show ur side in order to fight with democratic force.
    This is a result of fighting go ahead and don’t bring dust to Twic East county.

    repondre message

    • 28 March 2014 08:11, by Kiir

      Duk people should blame Mr. Thon Leek of his propaganda against rebel. Duk must be occupied. Rebel will never touch Twic East county people.

      repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Why reports on alleged atrocities are flawed 2015-07-28 08:59:54 By Joseph de Tuombuk* The recently-released Human Rights Watch and UNMISS reports on alleged atrocities committed by SPLA forces, are seriously flawed and could not withstand any challenge in (...)

UNSC Sanctioned Janjaweed Leader Musa Hilal Flaunts Travel Ban 2015-07-25 06:05:13 By Enough Team" On July 20, the Sudan Tribune reported that Musa Hilal, the leader of the notorious Janjaweed militias during the Darfur crisis, flaunted his United Nations Security Council (...)

Will the report of AU Commission of Inquiry on South Sudan be released? 2015-07-20 06:52:08 By Luka Biong Deng When the AU Peace and Security Council resolved in its meeting on 30th December 2013 to establish a Commission to investigate atrocities committed since the eruption of (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese, human rights groups and advocates demand renewal of UNAMID 2015-06-25 06:03:32 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: New York: Ahmed H.Adam, Tel. +1 347 567 1491 or aha64@cornell.edu Kampala: Abdelrahman Gasim, Tel. +256 7 51 90 77 77 or gasim202000@gmail.com Geneva: Abdelbagi (...)

Civil society groups urge to stop hostilities in W. Bahr El Ghazal 2015-06-11 22:24:37 Urgent action for sustainable peace in Western Bahr El Ghazal State Civil Society Statement: June 10, 2015 Wau –Western Bahr El Ghazal State- The Republic of South Sudan We, civil society (...)

Two South Sudanese pastors face death penalty in Khartoum 2015-06-03 06:08:37 African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies Two South Sudanese Pastors face death penalty for voicing opposition to corruption scandal at Khartoum Bahri Church (2 June 2015) Two South Sudanese (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.