Home | News    Wednesday 26 March 2014

South Sudan denies dropping preconditions in talks with rebels

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

March 25, 2014 (JUBA) – South Sudan’s government delegation said on Tuesday that its stance on talks with opposition forces “remains unchanged”, describing reports it had dropped demands for seven senior political figures to be excluded from negotiations as “lies” .

JPEG - 16.6 kb
The leader of South Sudan’s government delegation, Nhial Deng Nhial (L), signs a ceasefire agreement aimed at ending conflict in the country following negotiations in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, on 23 January 2014 (Photo: Reuters/Birahnu Sebsibe)

“The rumour mongers are spreading the lies that the government had abandoned its position to allow [the] participation of the seven former detainees. This is not true,” spokesperson for the government delegation Michael Makuei Lueth said on Tuesday in a statement broadcast from the Ethiopian capital, from Addis Ababa, by the state-owned South Sudan Television (SSTV).

Dialogue resumed on Tuesday despite demands from the government that talks be limited to representatives from the ruling party (SPLM) and the South Sudanese army (SPLA); and the rebels – known as the SPLM/A in Opposition, which was formed in December from army defectors and disaffected politicians.

Lueth said the government had since reiterated its position during a consultative meeting on Tuesday with envoys from the Intergovermental Authority on Development (IGAD), which is mediating negotiations.

Lueth said the government was willing to consider the participation of other groups in national dialogue inside the country once talks between the two warring parties had concluded.

“The government position on the participation of the seven former detainees has not changed and it will never change until a solution is found. There will be an all inclusive dialogue after the conclusion of the talks, they can participate in this forum if they want,” said Lueth.

The group of seven politicians were jailed in connection to their alleged role in a ‘coup’ attempt in mid-December when political tensions erupted in violence in the capital, Juba, before spreading to key regions throughout the country.

Former vice-president turned rebel leader Riek Machar and his supporters are accused of orchestrating the plot to overthrow the government. They deny the allegations.

The seven SPLM leaders were later released in accordance with an initial peace pact signed in Addis Ababa on 23 January to allow them to participate in talks. However, the group decided to form a third bloc rather than join Machar’s delegation, despite having similar political grievances.

The government delivered an official letter of protest to IGAD less than 24 hours before the next round of talks were due to get underway on 20 March, in which they threatened to boycott discussions unless the group of seven are barred from taking part.

The January ceasefire deal has failed to halt fighting on the ground, with both sides accusing each other of violating the terms of the agreement.

The UN has warned that the country is facing a potentially “catastrophic” humanitarian situation.

Nearly 5 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance, including 3.7 million who are at high risk of food insecurity, John Ging, the director of UN humanitarian operations, told reporters in New York following a visit to South Sudan last week.

(ST)

- S. Sudan opposition parties agree to participate jointly in peace talks
- South Sudan drops preconditions ahead of talks with rebels
- S. Sudan government officially delivers protest letter to IGAD

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 26 March 2014 07:33, by mathem jech amer

    It is the same Sudan Tribune which reported dropping demands again now you are writing something different, it is good to confirm rather writing something heard from rumours or individuals.

    repondre message

    • 26 March 2014 07:35, by Joseph Canada

      Mathem, you also know very well the flip flop and flop flipping those thieves of yours in Juba are.

      repondre message

      • 26 March 2014 08:16, by mathem jech amer

        Mind your Canadian business, whetehr you are in canada or not, I will rather comment base on your name.I am not Juba supporter,nor do I benefit from any governemnt activities but I support those who support stability not destructors.If you are fighting for democracy,why do you kill inocent,burning towns,villages,are you really metally ok?

        repondre message

        • 26 March 2014 08:43, by Mi diit

          Those coward sorry leaders in Juba can say this thing today and deny it tomorrow. The world is getting hard time dealing with immature and inconsistent incompetent leaders, ruled by Museveni’s remote control in Kamapla. Our country has gone to the dogs for sure. Damn them!

          repondre message

    • 26 March 2014 08:57, by Naath

      President Reshuffles University Chancellors
      South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir has reshuffled the vice chancellors of the five public universities in the new nation. 25 March 2014
      President Salva Kiir [AFP File]
      Juba, March. 20, 2014 (Gurtong) – In a decree read on South Sudan television, the President relieved seven Vice Chancellors and appointed five replacements.
      According to the decree

      repondre message

      • 26 March 2014 08:59, by Naath

        Joseph Canada and midit
        President Reshuffles University Chancellors
        South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir has reshuffled the vice chancellors of the five public universities in the new nation. 25 March 2014
        President Salva Kiir [AFP File]
        Juba, March. 20, 2014 (Gurtong) – In a decree read on South Sudan television, the President relieved seven Vice Chancellors and appointed five replacements.
        Ac

        repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Perspectives on Kiir and Machar meeting 2018-06-20 22:48:12 By Santino Ayual Bol IGAD which has been facilitating and mediating the slow-heel Agreement to Resolve the Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan shortly abbreviated as ARCISS has unilaterally (...)

SLM’s al-Nur’s response to Troika countries about violence in Darfur 2018-06-20 22:02:28 Response by the Sudan Liberation Movement to statement by the United States, United Kingdom & Kingdom Of Norway on cessation of violence in Darfur By Abdul Wahid al-Nur Dear President (...)

Another electoral farce Sudanese should expect in 2020 2018-06-18 02:08:16 Sudanese Elections Scheduled for 2020 will be Fraught with Dangers andCounterfeiting like its predecessors By Mahmoud A. Suleiman The National Congress Party (NCP) regime’s Elections Scheduled (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


The Suspension of Hurriyat Online Newspaper 2018-04-29 07:04:37 Sudan Democracy First Group 28 April 2018 The Sudanese civil and political circles and those concerned with Sudan were shocked by the news that the management of Hurriyat online newspaper has (...)

Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan 2018-04-22 10:01:20 UN Secretary-General, New York African Union Commission, Addis Ababa UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan (...)

Abyei celebrates Mine Awareness Day 2018-04-05 08:52:03 4 April 2018 | Abyei - The United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) commemorated the International Day for Mine Awareness and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.