March 24, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) has claimed that 75 rebels were killed during clashes in North Darfur state in a large counter-insurgency campaign aimed at containing attacks by armed groups in the region since February.
"The Armed Forces inflicted a crushing defeat on the rebel movements in Darfur during the fighting, which took place in Ba’ashim area, north-west of Mellit in North Darfur" on Sunday and Monday, said SAF spokesperson Al-Sawarmi Khaled in a statement to the official news agency, SUNA.
The military official said that the government troops killed 75 rebels and others captured, besides seizing 22 vehicles loaded with weapons and ammunition. He added they lost 4 soldiers.
On Friday and Saturday the Sudanese army retook Al-Tawisha and Alleit Jar-Elnaby, in the southern part of North Darfur. The two areas had been captured by the Sudan Liberation Army-Minni Minnawi (SLA-MM)and a rebel faction led by Ali Karbino.
The army and reporters who visited the areas during the weekend said telecommunication towers, public building and banks were destroyed and burnt by the rebels.
UN agencies said the recent fighting between the rebels and army displaced some 81,300 people in South Darfur and North Darfur regions.
UN resident representative Ali Al-Za’tari last Sunday called to allow humanitarian access to the affected civilians in the two states saying that the number of those who are displaced by the tribal violence military confrontation reached over 200,000 civilians since the beginning of this year.