March 23, 2014 (KHARTOUM) - Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) said on Saturday that its troops have retaken to areas in North Darfur which had been recently captured by the rebel Sudan Liberation Movement-Minni Minnawi and another faction led by Ali Karbino.
SAF spokesperson Al-Sawarmi Khaled said that Sudanese troops recaptured Al-Tawisha area, in the southern part of North Darfur, and Alleit Jar-Elnaby, located south of Al-Tawisha.
He added that the rebels fled the two areas after "destroying telecommunication towers and burning the markets".
The SLM-MM together with the Liberation and Justice Movement faction led by Ali Karbino took the control of the two areas on 2- 4 March.
North Darfur governor Osman Kibir paid a visit to the two areas on Saturday and inspected the damaged public building and installations.
The government and rebels trade accusations over attack on civilians in the two areas.
UN agencies estimate that some 81,300 internally displaced persons fled the fighting in Al-Tawisha, Alleit and Haskanita.
However aid workers were not able to get access the towns and villages affected by the fighting.
CALLS FOR HUMANITARIAN ACCESS
The UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Sudan, Ali Al-Za’tari, said in a statement released on Sunday morning concerned by the increasing violence in Darfur and called on open access to the affected areas.
"Since the beginning of 2014, over 200,000 people in Darfur have been displaced," Al- Za’art said, calling on the warring parties to put the interest of innocent civilians ahead of other narrow interests.
"This means allowing aid agencies to deliver assistance to those vulnerable people who need it most immediately without delay or hindrance, and reaching an agreement that allows the people of Darfur to live in peace," said Al-Za’tari.