Home | News    Sunday 23 March 2014

Jonglei’s Duk county calls for government protection from rebels


March 22, 2014 (JUBA) – Officials from Duk county in South Sudan’s Jonglei state have called on the South Sudan army (SPLA) to step up protection amid renewed threats of an “imminent attack” on the civil population.

Duk county lawmaker Philip Thon Leek said there are reports that rebel forces are mobilising in neighbouring Ayod county to launch a fresh attack on Duk and swampy areas were women and children took refuge in February after violence broke out in the region.

“This is a desperate situation,” Leek told Sudan Tribune on Saturday. “We fear that [at] anytime they will attack and we appeal for quick action [from the national army to protect civilians].”

Leek claims that the rebel forces are converging in Akuac Deng, a payam (district) in Ayod county neighbouring Duk to the north.

Sudan Tribune was not able to independently verify the claims due to the remoteness of the area, which is not easily contactable by mobile phone.

Leek alleged that rebel commander Khor Chol, who formerly headed army forces in Pajut in Duk county before defecting, is now leading preparations for a fresh attack.

Duk county officials said rebels forces had been driven out by local youths earlier this month after they occupied and destroyed areas in and around the main towns.

The Duk Lost Boys clinic, the sole health facility in Duk county and the neighbouring Uror and Twic East counties, was also ransacked.

Funded by US and European donors, the clinic provided a wide range of health services and was particularly known for its eye surgery.

A rebel spokesperson has dismissed claims its forces are preparing to launch a fresh attack, saying the allegations were an attempt by the government to cover up its plans to expand offensives in areas of Ayod county.

“The information we have gathered from the leadership on the ground is [the] opposite. It is instead the government and its foreign allies in Bor county which have been preparing to launch an offensive into the areas of Ayod county,” said James Gatdet Dak, the spokesperson for rebel leader Riek Machar.

Dak added that rebel forces have the right to self defence and were prepared to repulse attackers should they attempt to move in to rebel-controlled areas.

SPLA spokesman Col. Philip Aguer did not respond to calls by Sudan Tribune.

Duk county authorities alleged that anti-government forces began attacking villages on 24 February, forcing some 68,000 people to leave their homes.

The attacks reportedly occurred after rebel forces were repulsed by government forces from Gadiang, a military base in Jonglei.


- Over 68,000 people displaced by rebel attack in Jonglei’s Duk county
- Paramount chief of Jonglei’s Duk county detained by rebels: MP
- Rebels forced out of Duk county in Jonglei: MP

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 23 March 2014 08:36, by Mi diit

    Philip Thon Leek is lying. He is the one appealing to the government to launch attacks against the rebels in Ayod. Thank you Mr. James Gatdet Dak for pointing out the truth. These dictator propagandists should not be allowed to deceive the world.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

Khartoum dialogue process aborted sustainable peace in Sudan 2016-10-26 21:56:53 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman The October 10 2016 extravaganza of the Wathba Works Final Conference Ceremony brought nothing to the Sudanese people but Bashir remaining further on the Helm. He tried (...)

Funding our Universities to Deliver on their Mandate: The Case of University of Juba 2016-10-25 21:41:52 *By John A. Akec UNIVERSITIES AND NATION-BUILDING “Before going to war, Haifa must speak”, Israeli politicians are apt to telling their audience. This is specially so, when showcasing the (...)

52nd Anniversary of the glorious October 21, 1964 Sudanese revolution 2016-10-21 12:43:46 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Friday the 21st October 2016 will mark the 52nd Anniversary of the Glorious Sudanese October 21, 1964 Revolution. On that date, my memories go far back to the unique (...)


Latest Press Releases

Amnesty urges to investigate chemical weapons Sudan’s Jebel Marra 2016-10-12 12:52:01 Sudan: International chemical weapons investigation urgently needed into horrific Jebel Marra attacksAMNESTY INTERNATIONAL NEWSFLASH 11 October 2016 Sudan: International chemical weapons (...)

UNAMID JSR’s statement read to the media on peace in Darfur 2016-10-10 20:57:56 African Union United Nations Mission in Darfur Though the region of Darfur is relatively peaceful at this time, a small portion of Jebel Marra within Darfur continues to be intermittently (...)

Sudan: No justice for protester killings 2016-09-23 08:03:30 (Nairobi, September 22, 2016) – Sudanese authorities have yet to provide justice to victims of a violent crackdown on anti-austerity protesters in Khartoum in September 2013, the African Centre (...)


Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.