Home | News    Monday 17 March 2014

S. Sudan leaders agree to allow IDPs to remain in Nimule amid local protests

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

March 16, 2014 (JUBA) – South Sudan government officials agreed on Saturday to allow internally displaced persons (IDPs) from Jonglei state to remain in Nimule despite strong objections from locals.

JPEG - 85 kb
Daniel Awet Akot (L), former deputy speaker of South Sudan’s national assembly and the current deputy chairperson of the Crisis Management Committee (CMC), speaks to the press after a public rally in Nimule, as Jonglei state’s minister of local government, Ding Akol, Ding looks on, 15 March 2014 (ST)

Of 35,000 displaced persons registered by South Sudan Relief and Rehabilitation Commission (SSRRC) in Nimule, only 10,000 are thought to have remained in Nimule, with most either returning to Juba or continuing to neighbouring Uganda.

The indigenous Ma’di have objected to the settlement of IDPs from Jonglei, accusing the Dinka Bor of refusing to leave Nimule after a 2005 peace agreement ended more than two decades of civil war with the north that left millions of people displaced.

In January, the Eastern Equatoria state (EES) government formed a committee to assess settlement areas for displaced people from the war-torn states of Jonglei, Unity and Upper Nile.

IDPs have refused a request by the state government to relocate to Kapeota and Ikotos.

EES governor Luis Lobong told a rally in Nimule on Saturday that IDPs had been well-received by some sections of the Ma’di community in Nimule.

“But when we visited the IDPs, they said they went there alone and are well received. The host community elders in that area concurred with the IDPs and said, ’We welcomed them,’” he said, adding that the government had no choice but to allow the IDPs to remain.

Lobong said his cabinet had halted distribution of food and medicines to IDPs in February in a bid to force them to relocate to the new areas, but the ban was subsequently lifted earlier this month amid humanitarian concerns.

A team from South Sudan’s Crisis Management Committee (CMC), headed by deputy chairperson Daniel Awet Akot, visited the IDPs in the remote village of Milijo, 19 km south of Nimule, on Saturday morning with Lobong.

MA’DI OBJECT TO IDPS

However, at a separate public rally at St. Patrick primary school, leaders of the Ma’di community presented position letter outlining their objections to hosting IDPs from Bor, on the basis of past experiences.

The letter, read by a youth leader, expressed concerns over land grabbing fears, insecurity and harassment of local people by IDPs.

Meanwhile, representatives for the IDPs have denied occupying the land by force and say they are ready to work cordially with the host community.

The CMC committee, accompanied by lawmakers from Bor, have appealed to the Ma’di to reconsider their stance and allow temporary camps to be established for the displaced.

“If you go to Bor, Bentiu and Malakal to see the level of destructions in those states’ capital, you will sympathise with these innocent women and children seeking refuge in your area,” said Akot.

In a lengthy speech to the community during Saturday’s rally, Akot said all South Sudanese people had suffered together to gain independence, warning that “the game of tribes will tear this country apart”.

“Look at small countries like Rwanda and Burundi with more than 10 million people living side-by-side,” he said.

“God has blessed us with a vast and rich land. Why do we have to hate ourselves?” he added.

Police had to intervene repeatedly to restrain women protesting during Lobong’s and Akot’s speeches.

COMMUNITY HAS CHOICE

Ding Akol Ding, a Jonglei state minister of local government who represented governor John Kong during the visit to Nimule, accepted that the host community could not be forced to accept the IDPs.

“We are tired as [the] government of Jonglei state to be begging our brothers from other states to host our people,” he said.

He said local people had a choice in the matter and could either allow the IDPs to remain in Nimule or refuse to host them altogether.

Nearly one million people have been displaced in South Sudan since conflict broke out in mid-December, including 70,000 people who have crossed into neighbouring Uganda.

Jonglei was one of the worst affected areas, changing hands a number of times as government troops and rebel forces battled for control of key areas.

The fighting caused major damage to infrastructure in the town, with many people still too afraid to return to their homes despite the signing of a ceasefire agreement on 23 January.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 17 March 08:22, by Joseph Canada

    The notion that says IDPs were welcome by the elders is simply alie! The Dinka know very well the reason why they did not want to go to Kapoeta. Lobong himself doesn’t know they won’t go with their cows there or they will face the raide by the " Lopayat".Dinka also know this very well. Go back to your land or Uganda forever!

    repondre message

  • 17 March 08:30, by Malakal county Simon

    Equatoria people’s should reject and condemn the illegal intention of IDP (Dinka Bor) to grabb the land by force, Let’s them go back to Bor-Jonglie, because it is under government control and safe as the State government claimed!!!!

    repondre message

    • 17 March 08:39, by Malakal county Simon

      These people’s are very chaos everywhere they go, and soon Equotaria will be in chaos due to their ugly attitude "born to rule" ideology!!!!

      repondre message

      • 17 March 09:02, by Bentiu son

        Dear Equatorians why do you allow Dinka Bor to defile your bless land with their attitude of grabbing other people land chronic hatred,envy,jealousy n illusion ideology to born to rule. It is a big shame for Equatorians Youths to allow them due for fear of being killing by Dinkas invaders.Why did you allowed women to demonstrated? Where are the youths? Waw! cowardice is not good buddies.Wake up!!!

        repondre message

        • 17 March 18:59, by Rommel

          Bentiu son:
          Land grabbing? Do you really wish to speak of land grabbing? Perhaps you can tell us why it is the Nuer refuse to return Longechuk from the Burun after you occupied it in 1981-2. I am of the opinion that the Dinka should leave Equatoria and live with their brothers in Bahr el Ghazal.

          repondre message

  • 17 March 08:56, by Juma El-Saidi.

    I for one is very sock to have heard that these primitive people have been allowed to settle again in Nimule.
    Remember that a person quality is determined by what he or she doee. That stupid mentality will never go from their minds.
    Remember that Stupid Luis Lobong has to answer as to why he allowed these barbaric tribe to again settle in Nimule.
    Ma’di leaders perform your rituals to quit dem.

    repondre message

    • 18 March 06:28, by Developer

      Madi people said they are ready to defend their land until smell edge of graves. they don’t have president that supplies them with guns to protect their crops.their elders hhave though them how to fight silence wars.ILIGOMADRI.

      repondre message

      • 18 March 07:26, by jubaone

        The SPLA says it has flushed out Machar rebels from Bor and now the town is peaceful. Bor IDPs can now return to Bor and start new lives. Why Daniel Awen Akot still insist that these jenges be given land in Nimule indicates that the SPLA is not in control of Bor. Such a scum

        repondre message

  • 17 March 08:56, by DDooggaa

    No way! You Dinkas when while looting the government money those days did you thought of some thing called ’brother" from Nimule?? Why don’t you go and crowd at Kiirs home in Juba with all your shit?? You go back to Bor or cross to Uganda. You Dinkas are cursed in this world thats why things happen that way. JUST GO BACK TO BOR WE DON’T CARE, Let Gadeth fuck you once again.

    repondre message

  • 17 March 08:59, by Ambago

    Unlike the so-called government big shot Daniel Awet who only sees the dinkocracy side of things, the Jonglei state minister of local government Hon. Ding Akol Ding seems a more reasonable person as he rightly realised that the host community could not be forced to accept the Bor IDPs.
    As things stand Ma’di will practically do everything in their capacity to reverse Awet’s patronizing decision.

    repondre message

    • 17 March 09:31, by jur_likang_a_ likan’g

      Ambago, much has been said to no attention from those working day and night to destroy the original demography of our nation. Talks alone will not solve our problem. Madi should borrow a leaf of action from Muru and Zande to solve this issue. I think this issue is actually a conflict between Equatorians and settlers. Enough is enough.

      repondre message

  • 17 March 10:31, by Zeki

    you all you are not serious and I want to assure you, the current fighting is not between Dinka and Nuer, this is the political. and should it be between this two brave freedom fighters, then you will see this fighting end before the end of this year. But the way you behave will cause you problem itself. Dinka lost strong commanders in greator Equatoria during the war, it’s not because they

    repondre message

  • 17 March 18:33, by Nhialahong’s Son

    Oh God! Why everyone defecate on Dinka when they really liberated the dogs (Equatorians) who only managed to ran to Uganda during the struggle and whose daughters and mothers were collected by Arabs to be used and stamped at the battocks and new one ordered daily. Anyway, I blame Riek Machar the blood sucker for always displacing Bor Community who are not even an enemy to no one.

    repondre message

  • 17 March 23:15, by Kim Deng

    It’s a matter of time. The greater Upper Nile will be occupied by Mighty Nuer Warriors from Renk to Mading Bor and from Ruweng-Abiemnom to Gambella-Pibor. I don’t blame the coward Jaang/Slaves who were expelled from their land by Mighty Nuer Warriors since 1991, but coward Equatorians for their cowardice.

    repondre message

  • 18 March 06:19, by LOJUBA

    My friends Dinkasses, all of know very well who is H.E mobuto , free your ass from jalaba, you Dinkass are known now very well, during the war you use to send nuer and equatorian ahead , when victory is there, then you prepare your ass that we fough, shame on you. Why Ugandans force are here.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The theory of African president and prime minister, working together 2014-11-22 05:32:12 By Steve Paterno November 21, 2014 - Africa is notoriously known for political instability, stemming in most cases, over power struggle among the ruling elites. Often times, the best and quick (...)

The UNAMID internal report on mass rape in Tabit. 2014-11-21 06:09:21 What UNAMID really said about their investigation of mass sexual assaults on Tabit: The internal report on what investigators found By Eric Reeves November 20, 2014 - On November 12, 2014 (...)

Bullying Darfur 2014-11-13 18:13:39 By Namaa Al-Mahdi November 13, 2014 - “We broke their backs in Abu Karshola, I doubt they have recovered since,” said a prominent Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) member about their counter attack on (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.