Home | News    Sunday 16 March 2014

Sudan rejects US criticism over militia attacks in Darfur

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

March 15, 2014 (KHARTOUM) - The general commander of a Sudanese government militia, Lt Gen. Abbas Abdelaziz, rejected criticism by an American diplomat saying they used to hear unfounded and unfair accusation against its forces.

JPEG - 20.5 kb
Abbas Abdel Aziz, general commander of the Rapid Support Forces (ST)

US Ambassador to the United Nations, Samanta Power, on 12 March released a statement condemning attacks on South Darfur villages which displaced some 40,000 civilians.

"We condemn the most recent attacks in South Darfur by Rapid Support Forces supported by the Government of Sudan", Power said adding that the clashes between the rebel Sudan Liberation Movement – Minni Minnawi (SLM-MM) and the Sudanese army contributed to the displacement of civilians in South and North Darfur states.

In press statements on Saturday, Abdelaziz rebuked Power’s remarks describing it as "usual and unfair behaviour" from the American administration against Sudan, adding that such accusations would not frustrate the resolve of the government forces to perform its duties.

He said that the Rapid Support Forces are a positive factor in favour of peace and stability in Darfur, adding they were able in a short time to deter attacks by SLM-MM rebels and protect civilians.

UNAMID last week reported the burning of several villages in the area of Um Gunya, 50 km southeast of Nyala, adding they had been denied access to the area by the Sudanese authorities.

"The Mission has received reports of looting, arson and civilian casualties, as well as the arrival of newly displaced populations into the Al Salam and Kalma camps for internally displaced persons", the mission said.

The government and rebel SLM-MM trade accusations over the attacks on civilians during the recent wave of attacks and counterattacks between the two sides.

The Rapid Support Forces which depends from the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS), are formed in August 2013 from militias in Darfur and Kordofan regions to fight the rebel alliance Sudanese Revolutionary Front after a series of attacks in the greater Kordofan.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 17 March 2014 07:55, by Kalo

    So-called rapidly force-Janjaweed leader,why did you run from Toroji and claim to be the men in Darfur,your mission was not accomplished in South Kordofan,hot summer war hahahaah-the rain is coming.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan famine is a wake-up call to revive dead peace deal 2017-03-20 15:57:01 By Brian Adeba News that a famine has been declared in South Sudan is yet another stark reminder of the ever evolving nature of war-induced fragility in Africa’s newest country. As the world (...)

Africa’s next level of economic transformation 2017-03-20 05:57:00 By Jim Yong Kim The G20 finance ministers met last week in Germany to discuss critical challenges facing the global economy, from climate change to migration to humanitarian emergencies like the (...)

Mistake any armed opposition must not do 2017-03-20 05:51:57 By James Nguen South Sudan has been at war by itself since 15 of December 2013. This internal strife sent the new country to a new low and finally to a failed state status by all accounts. This (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Statement by South Sudanese Communist Party on the National Dialoguel 2017-03-22 05:44:42 The Communist Party of South Sudan On the Initiative of the National Dialogue The initiative taken by the President of the Republic of South Sudan declaring a need for a national dialogue is an (...)

An Appeal to President of the Republic of South Sudan 2017-03-15 07:22:45 Dear. Mr. President, I write to appeal to you for the release of political detainees now in the custody of the National Security Service at Jebel and other detention facilities. In doing this, I (...)

Militias of Bashir’s Regime and the Proxy War (1) 2017-02-08 21:49:09 Sudan Democracy First Group Militias of Bashir’s Regime and the Proxy War (1) War in the Blue Nile: Militias in the hunt of refugees and displaced population Introduction Throughout its rule, (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.