Home | News    Saturday 15 March 2014

78 killed in latest North Darfur rebel attack: official

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

March 13, 2014 (KHARTOUM) - The member of North Darfur state governor’s consultative office, Ibrahim Mohamed Mahmoud, said that 78 army personnel were killed during the recent attack on Mellit this week.

The official further said that 4 officers were killed among the military , pointing that 10 civilians were also killed during the attack.

On Thursday, the Sudan Liberation Movement – Minni Minnawi (SLM-MM) said it captured the strategic town of Mellit in North Darfur state, which is at 80km north to the state capital Al-Fasher.

The military spokesperson of the SLM-MM, Adam Saleh Abakar, said the attack was carried out by a joint force composed of their fighters and those of a splinter faction of the Liberation and Justice Movement led by Ali Karbino. (LJM-Karbino).

Mahmoud told Ashorooq TV that government forces defeated the attackers killing 9 and destroying 3 vehicles.

He added that all concerned bodies knew in advance that rebels could penetrate the town, attributing the incident to failure of those bodies to make the necessary arrangements to protect the town.

He pointed that regular forces in western and southern areas of the state including the border guards and the police central reserves forces fought desperately to defend the town; stressing humanitarian situation has not been assessed so far.

Mahmoud further said several houses were destroyed and pointed that the commercial market didn’t fully resume its activity. He however emphasised that conditions in the town are stable.

The Sudan Armed Forces issued a statement on Friday night about the attack on Mellit saying the army repelled the assailants rebel and prevented them from entering the town, adding they inflicted heavy losses in lives and equipment among them without providing any figures about the death toll from the two sides.

The governor of North Darfur state, Youssef Osman Kibir, for his part, said the Sudanese army managed to control Millet following the attack by SLM/MM and other rebel groups on Thursday evening.

He said in a briefing on Friday that Sudanese army inflicted heavy losses on the rebels and still chasing their remnants, pointing the road which links between El-Fashir and Mellit is now safe and passable.

Kibir stressed that attackers have not had sufficient time to loot residents’ properties because the army swiftly raided them.

The SLM-MM launched a series of attacks in South and North Darfur states since last February.

Earlier this month, the head of Darfur Regional Authority (DRA), Tijani El-Sissi warned against the rapidly deteriorating security situation in North and South Darfur states and criticized government for failing to restore security in the region, which has witnessed rebellion since 2003.

Sissi further said that the insecurity in North and South Darfur hampers the implementation of development projects. "What happens there will not be a catalyst to start in any reconstruction effort in those areas," he added.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


A new approach to peace 2018-04-23 06:16:35 By Miroslav Laják When the United Nations was created, its founders envisioned a different kind of world. A world in which disputes were resolved in meeting rooms and not battlefields. A world (...)

Bring Sudanese troops home now 2018-04-21 15:25:57 By Salah Shuaib The Sudanese troops fighting hard now in Yemen, who were sent there by order of al-Bashir, should return home. The process of implementing this task is much challenging. But, we (...)

Dissolution and formation of the Cabinet - 2013 2018-04-20 08:00:00 Amb Telar Deng The events that led to the 2013 dissolution of cabinet can be traced back to the deep mistrust that fermented back in 1991 when leaders failed to close ranks. After the 1991 (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan 2018-04-22 10:01:20 UN Secretary-General, New York African Union Commission, Addis Ababa UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan (...)

Abyei celebrates Mine Awareness Day 2018-04-05 08:52:03 4 April 2018 | Abyei - The United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) commemorated the International Day for Mine Awareness and (...)

Appeal for forgiveness and pardon of John Agou Wuoi 2018-03-07 08:28:08 H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit, President and Commander-in-Chief, of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), Republic of South Sudan (RSS), 5th February, 2018. Through: Hon. Michael Makuei Lueth (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.