Home | News    Thursday 13 March 2014

Sudan says ship seized by Israel will not be permitted to enter

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

March 12, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) announced Wednesday that strict guidelines were issued not to receive a ship which was seized last week by Israeli navy commandos in the Red Sea off the Sudanese coast.

JPEG - 24.6 kb
Israeli naval officer stand next to dozens of rockets on display after being seized from the Panama-flagged KLOS C civilian cargo ship that Israel intercepted last Wednesday off the coast of Sudan, at a military port in the Red Sea city of Eilat, southern Israel, Monday, March 10, 2014 (AP Photo/Ariel Schalit)

A statement released by an unidentified NISS media director underscored the commitment of Sudan to peace and stability of the Red Sea region and its acclaimed role in combating all forms of transnational organized crimes, human trafficking and weapons smuggling.

The official said that that investigation conducted by NISS concluded that the vessel was unrelated to any Sudanese party.

Israel, which hauled the Panamanian-flagged ship to Eilat port, said Syrian-made M-302 surface-to-surface missiles supplied by Iran were hidden in the cargo that were intended for Hamas Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip. Iran and Hamas have denied the accusations.

Along with the missiles, some 180 mortar shells and 400,000 rifle rounds were laid out in neat piles on a pier in the port of Eilat. A navy missile boat that took part in the raid was docked behind the display.

The United States also announced that the interception of this ship was a product of joint cooperation between Washington and Tel Aviv.

The NISS pointed out that the arrival of any vessel to Port Sudan is normal considering it is open to all ships except Israel noting that the port is an important station for maintenance and refueling.

It also emphasized the efficiency of Sudan security services that are known for their excellence and professionalism.

The security apparatus further said it is mindful of its role in the achievement of international peace and security in the context of its commitment to a world of harmony and peace.

The statement did not explain why the ship is now banned entry even though a senior Sudanese foreign ministry official who spoke to Sudan Tribune last week accused Israel of spreading “lies” in order to pre-empt action it secretly plans to carry out.

It is widely believed that Israel carried out at least two airstrikes in eastern Sudan in 2009 and 2011 against targets involved in arms smuggling to Gaza militants.

In October 2012, Sudan accused Israel of being behind air strikes that targeted the Al-Yarmouk arms factory in Khartoum.

The Jewish state never confirmed or denied its role in these attacks.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 13 March 2014 09:48, by Akol Liai Mager

    Why should NIF Thugs receive the Ship anyways whilst it has been unloaded? I know NIF Criminals are ready to receive even Israelis Ship if it’s loaded with weapons to scorch-earth all African villages. Just wait for what the Saudis and United Arab of Emirates can do as NIF time will come right after Qatar being appropriately dealt with.

    repondre message

    • 13 March 2014 22:06, by Mohamed

      Get a life Akol,
      Why don’t you solve your own scorched earth issues in South Sudan and then come back to talking about Sudan.
      We have gotten over South Sudan thanks god!
      Why don’t you get over NOrth Sudan?
      We prepared the oil and gave you a country with a lot of cash income.
      Look what you are doing with it!
      This shows who is the real criminal!

      repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


ARCSS and HLRF: last or lost chance for peace in South Sudan? 2017-12-14 05:02:15 By James Okuk “Tell people in power that something they tried didn’t work as expected” – Peter Ross. “A state without the means of some change is without the means of its conservation” – Edmund (...)

Response to Bona Malual statements on Abyei 2017-12-11 20:24:24 By Hon Arop Madut Arop As I was reading the last proof of my new book on the Ngok Dinka history, which is currently with the printers, somebody sent me a recorded voice message purportedly given (...)

Is Jieng Council of Elders responsible for South Sudan crisis? 2017-12-10 17:59:57 By Samuel Maker Amuor Silence means acceptance! It takes less than a minute for one to come across Jieng council of elders’ meddle on national affairs as they claim. Either through social media (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


South Sudanese rights group call to release political detainees 2017-12-10 07:50:31 THE INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY: 10 DECEMBER 2017: SSHURSA CALLS ON ALL TO ACTION FOR SOUTH SUDANESE The 10 December usually marks the international human rights day. SSHURSA notes with (...)

Reactions to government agencies’ conspiracy against Greater Bor community 2017-10-08 07:54:31 By Manyok Abraham Thuch & Kuch Kuol Deng A monkey business or a donkey business in the government of the republic of South Sudan against the citizens is unacceptable. Therefore, we as youth (...)

Amnesty calls to release Nubian activists detained over protest for cultural rights 2017-09-12 20:47:54 AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE 12 September 2017 Egypt: Release 24 Nubian activists detained after protest calling for respect of their cultural rights Egyptian authorities should (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.