Home | News    Monday 10 March 2014

SLM-MM urges international pressure for humanitarian access in S. Darfur

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

March 9, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The rebel Sudan Liberation Movement-Minni Minnawi (SLM-MM) called on the international community to put pressure on Sudanese government to open humanitarian access to the needy in Darfur and denied its responsibility of recent vague of violence in South Darfur state.

JPEG - 32.3 kb
A woman carrying her baby rests near a stove made of mud at a development centre funded by the World Food Programme (WFP) at Shagra village in North Darfur on 18 October 2012 (Photo: Reuters/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah)

The Sudanese foreign ministry on Saturday accused the rebel group of perpetrating attacks on South Darfur villages where over 30,000 civilians were forced to flee their homes during the last week of February.

The government further condemned the silence of the international community over the attacks carried out by the rebel group in the region s saying its attitude encourage them to hamper its efforts for peace.

"The Movement highly appreciates the position of the international community which has been closely monitoring all the violations committed by the genocidaire government,"said Trayo Ahmed Ali, SLM-MM presidential assistant for external relations in a statement released on Sunday.

The rebel official further called on the international community and international organisations to pressurize the government to allow the return of aid groups expelled from the region since 2009.

The holdout rebel group also blamed Khartoum for the continuation of the 11-year conflict in Darfur saying they are keep to reach a genuine negotiated solution to it, mentioning their participation in two workshops organised last year by the joint chief mediator in Arusha and Addis Ababa.

Following a statement by the hybrid mission in Darfur, UNAMID, demanding humanitarian access to the displaced person in the vicinity of Um Gunya, 50 kilometers southeast of Nyala, the US State Department accused the government militias of the attacks and expressed its support for a comprehensive solution for conflicts in Sudan.

From London, the UK foreign office urged Sudanese government to open humanitarian access and to hold accountable the perpetrators of these attacks.

In a related development, the SLM-MM military spokesperson Adam Saleh Babikir claimed that their fighters easily captured Sunday a new area, Um Sa’auna, on the border of North and East Darfur states. the rebels said they captured 8 Land Cruiser vehicles.

TRIBAL FIGHTING

UNAMID said that tribal fighting in Saraf Umra, in North Darfur state, displaced thousands of civilians who sought refuge nearby its compound in the town.

"The Mission is providing protection and water to those affected, as well as medical treatment for more than 30 wounded individuals," said the mission in a statement released on Sunday.

In a statement released after a meeting with UNAMID and aid groups on Sunday, North Darfur state governor Osman Kibir confirmed the inter-communal fighting saying that efforts by traditional leaders successfully stopped the strife and brokered a reconciliation agreement between the parties to the conflict.

The identity of the tribes involved in the clashes was not disclosed the North Darfur government and the UNAMID kept silent alike.

Last year the Saraf Umra received thousands of displaced persons after tribal clashes in the Jebel Amir area, North Darfur state, between the Abbala and Beni Hussein tribes over control of the region’s lucrative gold mines.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


World’s newest nation has unprecedented opportunity to end sexual violence in conflict 2014-10-17 21:34:44 By Zainab Hawa Bangura October 17, 2014 - As United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) on Sexual Violence in Conflict, I completed my first trip to South Sudan last (...)

Celebrate the golden jubilee of the October 1964 Sudanese revolution 2014-10-17 21:34:32 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman October 17, 2014 - Despite the dearth and lack of what needs celebration and rejoice in the reign of the National Congress Party (NCP) regime led by the tyrant genocidal (...)

Sudan, Iran, the Obama Administration, and Khartoum’s political vision" 2014-10-16 09:05:01 More about what we learn from the leaked minutes of the August 31 meeting bringing together Khartoum's most senior military and security officials By Eric Reeves October 15, 2014 - The document (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.