Home | News    Sunday 9 March 2014

Sudan accuses US of double standards on S. Darfur violence

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

March 8, 2014 (KHARTOUM) - The Sudanese foreign ministry accused the international community of adopting double standards on the recent violence in South Darfur, saying some western governments remained mum on rebel attacks and their continued efforts to hamper efforts to achieve peace.

JPEG - 29.8 kb
A woman holds her child in from of a shelter at the Kalma IDP camp outside Nyala in South Darfur on 29 November 2010 (Photo: Reuters)

The ministry was reacting to a statement released by the United States State Department on Saturday in which Washington strongly condemned attacks on civilians in South Darfur and called on the Sudanese government "to prevent further violence and to cease its own campaign of aerial bombardments".

The State Department further urged Khartoum to allow UNAMID peacekeepers access to the areas where the violence occurred, and renewed its call for the government and rebel groups "to begin an inclusive and comprehensive political dialogue to achieve a peaceful resolution to the conflicts in Sudan".

UN humanitarian office in Khartoum said in its weekly bulletin that between 30,000 to 40,000 people fled their homes in South Darfur during the last week of February as a result of clashes between the Sudan Liberation Army – Minni Minnawi (SLA-MM) and the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF).

The head of Darfur Regional Authority Tijani Al-Sissi said two days ago that the army did not play its role to repel attacks by rebel groups. He added that some uncontrolled elements took advantage of the intervention of the militia to attack villagers in the South Darfur areas.

The foreign ministry in a statement on Saturday evening said the rebel SLM-MM launched the attacks in the region aiming to undermine the peace talks with the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement North (SPLM-N) to end the conflict in South Kordofan and Blue Nile, pointing that the Darfurian group had accused the rebels in the Two Areas of betraying their alliance.

The statement also said the Sudanese government approved the efforts undertaken by the Chadian president Idriss Deby to persuade the rebel groups to join the Doha Document for Peace in Darfur.

The Ministry further calls on "some Western governments and organizations that rushed to condemn the Sudanese government to show for once impartiality, objectivity and fairness, and to condemn these outrageous attacks, to take practical steps that would push these movements to accept peace (...)," read the statement.

On a related development, the SLM-MM claimed in a statement released on Saturday that its fighters captured two new areas in North Darfur state.

"On Friday 7 February, our forces managed to liberate Koria Labn and Osman Dima areas," said a short statement released by SLA-MM military spokesperson Adam Saleh Abakar extended to Sudan Tribune on Saturday.

Abakar further said they destroyed one military vehicle seized three others.

From the North Darfur capital Al-Fasher, the governor Osman Kibir echoed the statement of the foreign ministry saying that "the international community not only stands idly by when rebels commit crimes but encourage them by raising a stick against the government".

He further denied rumours that Al-Fasher is threatened by a rebel attack, reaffirming that the army can deter rebel attacks and reestablish security in the state.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Arms transfers to South Sudan ensure a violent future for a people desperate for peace 2015-01-28 14:06:46 By Geoffrey L. Duke Peace advocates around the world were shocked by news of China’s shipment of arms to the Government of South Sudan in June 2014. The shipment reportedly included $38 million (...)

A reading of the Arusha intra-SPLM agreement 2015-01-28 09:39:38 By: Dr Lam Akol On the 21st of January 2015, the three factions of the SPLM (now calling themselves ‘Groups’) inked in Arusha, Tanzania, an agreement dubbed “Agreement on the Reunification of the (...)

The looming crisis of constitutional legitimacy in South Sudan 2015-01-27 09:27:20 By Luka Biong Deng The way government gets legitimacy has been at the centre of political inquiry. As political legitimacy is seen as individuals’ voluntary consent to be governed by the (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s Security Services raid and order closure of Mahmoud Mohamed Taha Cultural Centre 2015-01-24 03:41:41 African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies (23 January 2015) At 11am on 18 January, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) of Omdurman, Khartoum state, raided the Mahmoud (...)

Women groups announce their support for Sudan Call 2015-01-17 08:34:07 Position Statement from the Women’s Political Forces and Civil Society organizations and Groups on the Sudan Call To the People of Sudan We, the undersigned women, are fully motivated by our (...)

Norway grants US $1.9 million for humanitarian needs in Darfur 2014-12-16 06:47:08 The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - KHARTOUM Norway helps provide nutritious food to malnourished families in Sudan 14 December 2014 KHARTOUM – The United Nations World Food Programme (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.