Home | News    Friday 7 March 2014

Shots fired near UN compound in Juba following military clashes

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

March 6, 2014 (JUBA) – The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has expressed concern on Thursday after shots were fired near its compound in Juba, injuring at least one person, with the incident linked to military clashes which erupted in the capital on Wednesday.

JPEG - 53.5 kb
This photo taken from Jebel Kujur in the South Sudan capital, Juba, shows smoke billowing from a military facility in the distance as the sound of explosions were heard across the city on 5 March 2014 (Photo: WFP/George Fominyen)

A UN spokesperson told journalists in New York that the gunfire was in the vicinity of the UN House, with fighting also occurring close to the site on Wednesday evening.

“Firing also occurred close to the UN House yesterday (Wednesday) evening. However, the situation within the compound is calm,” the spokesperson told media, citing the latest information from UNMISS.

The spokesperson said the situation in the capital remains “tense”, calling on all parties to “respect the work and inviolability of UN premises”.

Clashes broke out between military units at the Geida military barracks in southern Juba on Wednesday after a reported salary dispute turned violent.

The sound of heavy gunfire erupted about 9am (local time) on Wednesday, sparking widespread panic across the city.

The barracks, which is the headquarters of the Commando unit and hosts the presidential brigade known as Tiger, was the same site where fighting erupted on 15 December between soldiers aligned with former vice-president Riek Machar and those loyal to president Salva Kiir before spreading to other regions across the country.

DEATH TOLL PUT AT 25

Meanwhile, the South Sudan army (SPLA) on Thursday revised the official death toll from the clashes to 25, with the figure initially put at five.

Brig. Gen. Malaak Ayuen, the SPLA director of information and communication, told Sudan Tribune by phone on that Thursday that an assessment on the ground had revealed more dead bodies buried under rubble near the Geida military barracks in southern Juba.

“It is difficult to give exact figure [of dead] because the fighting happened in offices but now there are 25 killed,” he said without providing further details.

Ayuen has blamed Wednesday’s shootings on undisciplined soldiers trying to stir panic in the city.

“The soldiers were pre-empting a situation,” he said, adding that no soldiers had been arrested in connection to the incident.

His comments apparently contradict earlier statements, in which he said four officers accused of instigating the clashes had been arrested.

Ayuen said the death toll could climb further, with the large amount of rubble from collapsed buildings as a result of shelling in the area making assessments on the ground difficult.

“We don’t know how many [dead bodies] are there under the stones,” he added.

A soldier at the scene in Juba told Sudan Tribune on Wednesday that he had counted 27 bodies at the scene, while other sources claimed the death toll could be at least 30.

Cabinet affairs minister Martin Elia Lomoru has confirmed that salaries were in the process of being paid to soldiers when heavy gunfire heavy erupted inside the barracks.

It is alleged that some soldiers attempted to collect the salaries on behalf of some of their colleagues who were not on the payroll, but this was refused as government employees are now required to collect payments in person. The measures have been implemented to ensure wages are not paid to so-called “ghost” workers or those who do not show up during the payment period.

A thick column of smoke was seen billowing from the facility, where a military store was reportedly hit by a rocket propelled grenade.

Residents in the Tongping, Munuki and Geida areas reported hearing sporadic gunfire overnight on Wednesday, with the security situation on Thursday remaining relatively stable.

Wednesday’s clashes are the most serious incident since the mid-December violence, which saw thousands flee their homes. The UN is currently providing protection to some 43,000 civilians in its sites in the capital.

(ST)

- Related coverage:
Heavy fighting erupts in Juba military barracks: witnesses
Salary dispute within S. Sudan army triggers heavy gunfire in Juba
Scores dead in S. Sudan military clashes in Juba: eyewitnesses

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 7 March 08:26, by Mi diit

    Look at those savage soldiers of Mrs. Akiir Museveni. They shot at the UN compound. Ban Ki Moon will give you sanctions soon if you are not careful.

    repondre message

    • 7 March 10:25, by Bentiu son

      Hey!the administration of brutal regime of Salva Kiir Mayardit had rotted from the top to bottom.All the cabinet became big liars n feeding the public with lies,baseless allegations n fabrication reports.They all run out of their minds.The biggest liars are:Salva Kiir,James Wani Igga,Kuol Manyang,Makuei Lueth,Philip Aguer,Ateny Wek Ateny,Dr Marial,Alew Alew and Malaak Ayuel plus their

      repondre message

      • 7 March 10:36, by Bentiu son

        bought traitors,blood money suckers from Nuer n Greater Equatorians n Greater Fertiit of Wau.The reliable source reported that the total numbers of victims of Wednesday madness is 200 victims whereby Nuer civilians alone were 95 people who were murdered in cold blood as Dinka militias did on 15-19/12/13.Dinkas,for how long will you continue killings innocent Nuer civilians? Why fearing armed Nuer?

        repondre message

        • 7 March 12:14, by Rami Tot

          A dinka always is happy to kill vulnerable person

          repondre message

          • 7 March 12:16, by Rami Tot

            Dinka announce fighting we they think they are more in that particular place

            repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan: Justice remains elusive, one year on 2014-12-17 04:17:40 By Elizabeth Deng December 16 2014 - A year after the outbreak of violence in Juba last December, hopes of accountability for abuses linked to the conflict remain distant. Despite repeated calls (...)

President Salva Kiir has betrayed his people and the nation 2014-12-17 04:15:00 By James Gatdet Dak December 15, 2014 - After many painful decades of destructive war of liberation against successive oppressive regimes in Khartoum, people of South Sudan gained their hard won (...)

Sudan protects terrorists 2014-12-15 04:29:57 By Kimberly Hollingsworth* December 15, 2014 - Sudan used to be the heart of Africa; now, Sudan is the heart of international terrorist organizations. Sudan is the hub for training extremists. (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Norway grants US $1.9 million for humanitarian needs in Darfur 2014-12-16 06:47:08 The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - KHARTOUM Norway helps provide nutritious food to malnourished families in Sudan 14 December 2014 KHARTOUM – The United Nations World Food Programme (...)

Darfur Association "disheartened" by ICC decision to not meet them 2014-12-14 05:50:13 12 December 2014 RE: DPANY Requests/Direction of the OTP in the Situation of Darfur Dear Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, We, the Darfur People's Association of New York, are disheartened by your (...)

REDRESS calls for the immediate release of Sudan’s distinguished human rights lawyer 2014-12-10 09:02:53 December 9, 2014 ­­ — REDRESS, and many other individuals and organisations around the world, are extremely concerned by the continuing secret detention of Dr. Amin Mekki Medani. On Saturday, 4 (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.