Home | News    Wednesday 26 February 2014

Sudanese military commander denies any wrongdoing by pro-government militia

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 25, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The commander of Sudanese troops known as Rapid Support Force (RSF) Maj. Gen. Abbas Abdulaziz said that troop movements in operation zones and other areas is not a mandate of the governors stressed but is under the purview of Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) General Command.

JPEG - 21.5 kb
Rapid Support Force (RSF) commander Maj. Gen. Abbas Abdelaziz (Ashorooq TV)

RSF were formed to help SAF in its military campaign which began last August through recruitment of troops from several states.

Abdulaziz emphasized in an interview with pro-government Ashorooq TV that RSF are present in the field to finish up the summer plan in Darfur states to crush the rebels and then return to complete the remaining tasks assigned to it by SAF in coordination with other military divisions.

The presence of Janjaweed militias incorporated in RSF in North Kordofan state capital of El-Obeid drew widespread condemnation from residents who accused it of spreading terror.

These forces were blamed earlier this month for looting commercial markets and killing of a merchant in El-Obeid leading to massive protests across the city.

The governor of North Kordofan state, Ahmed Haroun, announced at the time that his government made the necessary arrangements to drive them out from the state within 72 hours.

But Abdulaziz said in the interview that the incident was "normal" and that the events occurred in it is something that Haroun should be asked about asserting that the situation could have been contained and addressed in a different manner.

He disclosed that RSF quickly investigated the incident and arrested the culprit in an hour and made him stand trial after which he was stripped from his military immunity has been dismissed from the service

"There are parties which are supportive of rebel movements that rode the horseback of the opposition and portrayed it as if the citizens do not want these forces," Abdulaziz said.

He went on to say that they sat down with North Kordofan governor and clarified the facts to him noting that the movement of troops is linked to the completion of the deficiencies in coordination with SAF or through ground forces Chiefs of Staff.

The Janjaweed militias were originally mobilized by the Sudanese government to quell the insurgency that broke out in Sudan’s western region of Darfur in 2003.

That counter-insurgency campaign, which mainly targeted African ethnic groups on account of their affiliation to the insurgents, has led to the death of approximately 300,000 people and the displacement of more than 2.7 million, according to United Nations figures.

Haroun himself is one of the Sudanese officials wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for war crimes he allegedly masterminded in Darfur during his time as state minister for interior.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 26 February 2014 09:31, by Kalo

    The Malisha Gen.Abbas,one simple question did you defeated rebels in South Kordofan?why did you ran in Toroji-Jau with 1300 vehicles to Elobied,no rebels in Elobied why not Kadugli,hahaahah,you rape and loot in Karisana and clashed with resident there,the same in Elobied,do you think Sudanese people are foolish upto this level,you are just militants fighting for money not national army idiot.

    repondre message

  • 26 February 2014 09:39, by Kalo

    Militant leader Abbas,we were monitoring your militants careful from Khartoum,Elobied ,S.Kordofan war zone,after defeated by SRF ran to Elobied leaving over 400 dead with 4 mass grave,looting in Elobied,taking 15 million USD from Government even demanding payment of dead,heading to Darfur,looting civilians vehicles convoys in Nahud ,the world have advance but you are still behind knowing nothing.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


What do we expect from the final South Sudan Peace Talks? 2015-02-27 08:41:32 By Luka Biong Deng As the alleged final and last round of peace talks on South Sudan commenced in Addis Ababa, the people of South Sudan attach little hope and expect nothing as they have been (...)

The Berlin Meeting: What’s at stake? 2015-02-25 11:33:06 By the Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) Between 25 and 27 February, Berlin will become the hub for the Sudanese unarmed and armed opposition, invited by the German Foreign Ministry and the (...)

Can a democratic government extend its own life? 2015-02-23 07:32:25 By Dr Lam Akol Last Thursday, the government tabled before parliament an amendment bill in order to amend the Constitution for the Government to extend its life for two more years. In a (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Archbishop Taban calls for reconciliation and forgiveness 2015-02-23 09:30:38 February 2015 Greetings from Peace Village, Kuron. It is really a Peace Village. I had my peaceful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year in Kuron. God really blessed the area with Peace. You can (...)

WFP appreciates US additional support for S. Sudan’s hungry 2015-02-19 08:20:15 17 February 2015 (JUBA)- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of US$165.5 million from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to feed (...)

Press Release from the SPLM/A (IO) in Uganda 2015-02-11 09:39:09 February 10, 2015 1. The office of the SPLM/A (IO) and the presence of its diplomatic representation that was established under the Kampala outcome of the 21st August 2014 is operational and has (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.