Home | News    Wednesday 26 February 2014

S. Sudan rebels accuse government forces of violating truce

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 25, 2014 (JUBA) – The head of South Sudan’s ruling party (SPLM)-In-Opposition has openly accused pro-government forces of allegedly violation the ceasefire agreement both parties committed themselves to in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa a month ago.

JPEG - 34 kb
The head of the rebel delegation, General Taban Deng Gai, signs a ceasefire agreement, ending more than five weeks of fighting in South Sudan following negotiations in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, on 23 January 2014 (Photo: Reuters)

Taban Deng Gai, in a statement issued on Monday, said they had officially notified regional leaders mediating talks between the two warring parties, but warned of possible escalation of the country’s conflict should the attacks on rebel positions persist.

“The Sudan Peoples’ Liberation Movement/Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLM/SPLA) brings to the attention of the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) mediating envoys and the International Community the relentless violations, by the Government of the Republic of South Sudan, of the Cessation of Hostilities (CoH) Agreement reached on 23rd January 2014,” Gai said in a statement.

“Our forces have tried their best to adhere to the agreement as a matter of principle, knowing that the silence of guns provides an advantage for our already suffering populations to recover and mourn their slain relatives in requisite serenity”, he added.

The rebels further accused President Salva Kiir of using “delayed tactics” to undermine the monitoring and verification mechanism of the ceasefire, which formed the basis of the truce signed in Addis Ababa as part of efforts to end the conflict, which has killed thousands.

Such a move, according to the head of the rebel delegation, allegedly enabled the South Sudanese army (SPLA) to “make a mockery” of the ceasefire and thus launch attacks on rebels.

But the spokesperson of the army, in an earlier interview with Sudan Tribune, accused the SPLM-In-Opposition forces of violating the agreed ceasefire, citing attacks on the oil-rich Upper Nile capital, Malakal, which the rebels claim to be in control.

“Our forces have always respected the cessation of hostilities agreement, but this has continuously been violated by the rebel forces of Riek Machar,” said Phillip Aguer.

The South Sudanese government spokesperson, Michael Makuei Lueth also told reporters in the capital, Juba last week that President Kiir’s leadership was committed to the cessation of hostilities agreement it signed with the SPLM-In-Opposition last month.

He also dismissed rebel claims that they had defeated pro-government forces in Malakal, saying the latter was simply determined to see that the ceasefire agreement was not violated.

ATTACKS FOREIGN ARMY

The rebels further stated that the “continuous heavy and active” presence of the Uganda Peoples’s Defense Forces (UPDF) in South Sudan not only contravenes the ceasefire, but also enhances President Kiir’s morale to continue carrying out his “repressive” and “autocratic” agenda.

“Lest it be forgotten, Uganda’s [Yoweri] Museveni had declared to ‘defeat’ our forces, and this explains their recalcitrance to heed to calls for his forces to pull out,” Gai said.

The rebels, in their statement, also claimed government forces had allied with the Sudanese rebel Justices and Equality Movement (JEM) and the Sudan Revolutionary Front (SRF) forces and allegedly launched a number of attacks on their bases and civilian targets in Unity and Jonglei states and in several Upper Nile locations, forcing them to respond in self- defence.

“We, therefore, reiterate our plea to IGAD and the International Community to be decisive in arm-twisting and restraining the regime and its Ugandan allies from their false belief that violence can enable them fulfill their selfish objectives,” the statement stressed.

Meanwhile, the SPLM-In-Opposition has reiterated its commitment to the on-going mediated peace process, to restore stability in the war-torn country, but said their struggle, which they started by “asserting democratic and civil means”, instead ended up being halted by “sinister autocratic” methods of President Kiir and cohorts in self-defence.

“Protection of lives of our suffering masses, while keeping an eye on securing a bright future for them, is our farsighted resolve,” the rebels stressed.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


September 23 Uprising remains milestone in Sudanese struggle for democracy 2014-09-28 03:25:50 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman September 27, 2014 - This article comes against the backdrop of the First Anniversary of the September 23, 2013 Sudanese Popular Uprising. Moreover, on this saddening Day (...)

What the Khartoum regime really thinks 2014-09-26 06:12:06 (leaked minutes of critical August 2014 meeting of senior military and security official) By Eric Reeves September 24, 2014 - I received on 22 September 2014, from a source within Sudan whom (...)

Contextualizing realities of the crisis in N. Bahr el Ghazal government (Part 1) 2014-09-24 14:01:21 By Deng Dut Lual September 24, 2014 - The government of Northern Bahr el Ghazal state led by Kuel Aguer Kuel in a caretaker position has been seriously leaking. Leaking is a damning word that (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.