Home | News    Monday 24 February 2014

Oxfam withdraws staff from Malakal

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 23, 2014 (JUBA) – British charity Oxfam said it was forced to withdraw four of its aid workers after they were trapped when violence broke out in South Sudan’s Upper Nile state violence, warning that the lack of access to civilians in need would worsen the already tenuous humanitarian situation on the ground.

Malakal, a strategic town 497km north-east of the capital, Juba witnessed lots of violence last week, leaving it completely destroyed with many civilian deaths, according to United Nations.

Several aid workers, Oxfam said, remain holed up in the UN compound and were unable to leave since fighting broke out on Tuesday between government troops and rebel forces.

“The first few days we were all afraid of what was happening in the town because of the sound of regular shelling. As the days went by, we heard terrible reports from the people arriving at the UN for their protection – stories of women and girls who were threatened with abduction by armed men and were then shot as soon as they ran,” said Cecilia Kiden, who headed Oxfam’s response team in Malakal.

She added, “When the violence in the town began, Oxfam had to severely scale back its work at the UN base as regular shelling in the town and violence both inside and outside the base made the movement of staff and supplies very difficult”.

With nearly 21,000 people reportedly seeking shelter within the UN premises, Oxfam said it was likely to resume its activities on Wednesday, citing clean drinking water, food and medical care as urgently needed by those displaced.

“We will get back to work to help the many vulnerable people in Malakal as soon as possible but the utter breakdown in the cessation of hostilities, as exemplified by this round of violence, is creating a difficult situation for us and an even more desperate situation for the nearly one million displaced by violence in South Sudan,” said Jose Barahona, Oxfam’s Country Director in South Sudan.

“Every day a gun is fired is another blow to a nation on its knees, a political solution to this horrific crisis cannot come soon enough,” he added.

Prior to the December 15, 2013 outbreak of violence, the British charity reportedly ran a long term development programme in Malakal, which was later suspended until early month. Currently, the agency is reportedly promoting good hygiene practices among the displaced people sheltering inside the UN base.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 24 February 2014 07:00, by Wicdail

    No way for peace, unless Kirr should step down periode. You don’t kill your own civilians using state powers, and at the same times Pretend as a president for all.

    repondre message

  • 24 February 2014 08:56, by George Bol

    After rebels learned that Riek machar left and leave them in hot water,they started surrendering to SPLA.Reliable sources said that rebels left their positions for what riek did to them. Nuer will understand riek this year.
    Plus, James Hoth informed riek to leave for his live because SPla
    http://chimpreports.com/index.php/regional-news/s-sudan/17381-3-rebel-generals-dead-as-spla-retain-gadiang.ht

    repondre message

  • 25 February 2014 14:12, by Tata

    Those Britsh know one thing that Riek is human being. Any other person in SOuth Sudan isn’t human and therefore deserve death. When Machar kills they don’t consider as "Human Right violation" bse the dead aren’t humans. Machar is a widower of a British aid worker woman. Leave the prople of Malakal. They have been living in that mudy region for centuries since time immemorial.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


What is wrong with the IGAD peace process? 2015-03-29 22:39:56 By Alfred Ladu Gore 1. The Effects of Flawed Methodological Approach on the Fundamental Issues Arising from the Crisis Situation in South Sudan In the methodological context of this paper, it (...)

Creating peace in South Sudan requires extraordinary precautions 2015-03-29 11:55:31 By Panther Alier On March 6, 2015, South Sudanese were hit again with grim news, the failure of the government and rebels led by Riek Machar to agree on almost everything that was on negotiation (...)

Darfur Conflict: why Mbeki has to soberly reflect on the missing links 2015-03-25 21:31:44 By Trayo Ahmed Ali There is no way to deny the fact that the protracted Darfur conflict has, at certain junctures received sufficient international attention. Certainly the velocity of the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Seventy-six organizations call for publication of AU Inquiry Report as deadline for peace passes 2015-03-07 05:04:51 6 March 2015: FOR Immediate Release SOUTH SUDAN: The African Union (AU) Peace and Security Council (PSC) should immediately consider, publish and disseminate the final report of the Commission (...)

Archbishop Taban calls for reconciliation and forgiveness 2015-02-23 09:30:38 February 2015 Greetings from Peace Village, Kuron. It is really a Peace Village. I had my peaceful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year in Kuron. God really blessed the area with Peace. You can (...)

WFP appreciates US additional support for S. Sudan’s hungry 2015-02-19 08:20:15 17 February 2015 (JUBA)- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of US$165.5 million from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to feed (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.