Home | News    Wednesday 19 February 2014

US activist says both sides of South Sudan conflict appear to have committed war crimes

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 18, 2014 (JUBA) – US-based activist John Prendergast, has said the ongoing conflict in South Sudan, which has now claimed thousands of lives and displaced almost a million people, could have been avoided.

JPEG - 6.9 kb
US activist John Prendergast of the Enough Project speaks in Washington at the National Press Club studios on 13 October 2013 (Photo: AP/J. Scott Applewhite)

The co-founder of the Enough Project, in a statement, said both sides in the conflict may have committed “war crimes”, stressing that the nature of targeting on the basis of ethnicity has made a resolution of this war much more difficult.

Founded in 2007, the project fights to end genocide and crimes against humanity.

“The level of destruction and loss of life in Bor was indeed catastrophic, and given its history even more heartbreaking for the people there, but there are other areas of the country that have suffered greatly as well,” he said after visiting Bor, the Jonglei state capital.

Prendergast also denied statements on the issue of war attributed to him on a Sudan Tribune story from a meeting held with South Sudanese officials.

"Quotes were attributed to me in this article that I did not make. I gave no interviews with any reporter, and didn’t say what I was alleged to have said in the meeting with government officials. Let me clarify that I believe war crimes appear to have been committed by both sides in this conflict, and the nature of targeting on the basis of ethnicity has made a resolution of this war much more difficult.

Violence broke out in the South Sudan capital, Juba in mid-December last year and later spread to three of its 10 states as forces loyal to President Salva Kiir battled anti-government elements linked to the country’s former vice-president, Riek Machar.

Describing the losses resulting from the conflict as “tragic”, Prendergast expressed the urgency for the two warring parties to resolve the conflict through negotiations, not on the battlefield.

“That requires leadership, which South Sudan requires more than ever”, stressed the US activist who held meetings with the commanding officer of the South Sudanese army (SPLA) in the area. He also visited civilians displaced at the United Nations mission site in Bor, massacres sites like church compound and Bor hospital, including the location of the mass graves.

Prendergast and fellow US actor George Clooney also helped direct Sudan Now, a 2011 campaign for the peaceful conduct of a referendum in South Sudan, in which its citizens overwhelmingly chose separation from Sudan.

(ST).

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 19 February 09:14, by Ayuiu Makuac Lam

    Us activist, are not fair, government is already arrested 20 soldiers who are involved into civilian killing, but more atrocities are committed by the rebels, like rape, extra judicial killing, barbaric dettention and destruction of civilians properities. All are committed by rebels led by Riak Machar and he should hold responsible of all event.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


An Alternative National Dialogue: Sudan’s last chance for sustainable peace and Unity 2014-08-30 06:18:14 By Suliman Baldo August 29, 2014 — Last week, with much fanfare and renewed hope on the part of Sudanese citizens, the African Union High Implementation Panel (AUHIP) for Sudan and South Sudan, (...)

A critique of the IGAD protocol for peace in S Sudan 2014-08-30 05:53:03 “A critique of the IGAD protocol on agreed principles on transitional arrangements towards resolution of the crisis in South Sudan” By David de Chand August 29, 2014 - First and foremost of all, (...)

IGAD failure to delivering peace for South Sudan! 2014-08-30 05:43:48 By Jacob Odong August 29, 2014- The East African Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) is concluding a plan to allow for what they are calling a unity government for South Sudan. If (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan: Those behind unlawful killings and torture of protesters must be brought to justice 2014-09-02 09:39:25 Amnesty International Sudan: Those behind unlawful killings and torture of protesters must be brought to justice The brutal suppression of protest in Sudan must end, and members of the security (...)

National Dialogue in Sudan: Past experiences and current challenges 2014-08-27 06:18:22 Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) Since independence, Sudan has undergone a number of national peace agreements, some of which were observed and honored for short periods, others which were (...)

A new approach to the National Dialogue will stop war and lead to democracy in Sudan 2014-08-22 06:50:30 A New Approach to the National Dialogue in Sudan that will Stop the Wars, Address the Humanitarian Crisis and Lead to Democratic TransformationChatham House, London on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.