Home | News    Wednesday 5 February 2014

UN official calls for “political solution” to S. Sudan conflict

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 4, 2014 (JUBA) – The United Nations under-secretary general for peacekeeping operations has called for a “political solution” to the South Sudan crisis following the conclusion of a two-day visit to the country.

JPEG - 18.4 kb
UN peacekeeping chief Hervé Ladsous (second right) on a visit to the UNMISS base in Tomping, which has been sheltering civilians since conflict erupted in the country (Photo: UNMISS/Isaac Billy)

“There can be no other solution to the crisis in South Sudan than a political solution”, said Herve Ladsous, who met with senior government officials to discuss the implementation of the recently-signed ceasefire agreement during his visit.

Ladsous also reiterated the importance of adhering to the conditions of the accord, mediated last month by the regional bloc – the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa.

“Priority must go to the agreement signed on 23 January for the cessation of hostilities. In that sense, I conveyed the total support of the United Nations for the IGAD mediation process”, Ladsous said following a meeting with president Salva Kiir in the capital.

“UNMISS (the UN Mission in South Sudan) is concentrating on three areas: protection of civilians, human rights and help to humanitarian actors to deliver, but clearly the solution to this massive crisis has to be a political one”, he added.

In a press statement released by UNMISS on Monday, Ladsous also praised the UN’s decision to open its gates during recent fighting, saying the decision saved thousands if not even tens of thousands of lives.

“Had this not been done, then it would have been many thousands or ten thousands of civilians who would have been killed. Difficult as it may have been, as it is, as it could be in future, I think it shows a great example of the sort of thing we have to do”, he said.

Over 80,000 civilians are currently protected by UNMISS at eight of its compounds throughout the country, including 43,000 civilians in Juba alone, the mission says.

Ladsous one of the most pressing issues remains finding a way to reduce overcrowding at the bases ahead of the rainy season.

Community representatives told Ladsous that they were desperate to return home, but were afraid to leave the UN bases.

South Sudan forces have been battling anti-government troops loyal to former vice-president Riek Machar since violence flared in Juba on 15 December.

Machar, who now heads the rebel faction composed of army defectors and armed civilians mainly from his Nuer tribe, is facing treason charges amid allegations he staged a coup attempt to overthrow the government.

At 10,000 people are thought to have died, according to estimates from the International Crisis Group (ICG), while some 825,000 have been driven from their homes.

The UN Security Council (UNSC) has authorised a major reinforcement of UNMISS forces, which will see troop number increased by 5,500 to 12,500 troops.

Among the troops being sent are 850 Nepalese peacekeepers, 350 of whom will be redeployed from Haiti.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 5 February 2014 05:36, by George Bol

    Miidit/Omoni,
    Check this video out. My friend, we are not playing. Stop internet war.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVcXP8IJbZk

    repondre message

    • 5 February 2014 10:14, by Mr Point

      Sudan Tribune must ask Ping Deng Kuol, Juba’s Inspector General of police, what his force was doing in December when murder gangs were going door to door.
      ST should also ask him what he has done to find and charge the perpetrators of this mass murder.
      ST should also ask what measures he has taken to make sure Juba is now safe.

      repondre message

  • 5 February 2014 11:23, by Johndumo14

    Dr Riek Machar must see the video of how his tribemen the White army were killed in battle in bor and other places and left being eaten by Hynas and vultures,he will notdream about to be a prsident of South sudan.The vultures are feeding on the thousands of death Nuer in Bor and around villages in Jongeli.The vultures are tired of eating the human flesh(meat) they are only eating the EYES!

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Stocktaking the path of the 59th anniversary of Sudan’s independence 2015-01-25 08:33:41 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman January 24, 2014 - The primary purpose of this article, besides highlighting on the Sudanese Independence Day, is the following up the events that accompanied the years (...)

Critique of SPLM reunification agreement in Arusha 2015-01-23 06:33:49 By James Okuk January 23, 2014 - The Agreement on the Reunification of the SPLM that was signed in January 21, 2015 in Arusha, Tanzania, suggests three problematic tends despite the fact that it (...)

Why South Sudan elections must proceed on scheduled 2015-01-23 04:24:47 By Steve Paterno January 22, 2014 - South Sudan is preparing for the conduct of general elections as it is constitutionally mandated, within the period of May and June of this year. This, (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s Security Services raid and order closure of Mahmoud Mohamed Taha Cultural Centre 2015-01-24 03:41:41 African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies (23 January 2015) At 11am on 18 January, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) of Omdurman, Khartoum state, raided the Mahmoud (...)

Women groups announce their support for Sudan Call 2015-01-17 08:34:07 Position Statement from the Women’s Political Forces and Civil Society organizations and Groups on the Sudan Call To the People of Sudan We, the undersigned women, are fully motivated by our (...)

Norway grants US $1.9 million for humanitarian needs in Darfur 2014-12-16 06:47:08 The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - KHARTOUM Norway helps provide nutritious food to malnourished families in Sudan 14 December 2014 KHARTOUM – The United Nations World Food Programme (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.