Home | News    Saturday 1 February 2014

UN peacekeeping chief to visit S. Sudan for discussions on ceasefire

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

January 31, 2014 (NEW YORK) - The UN under-secretary-general for peacekeeping operations, Hervé Ladsous, is due to arrive in South Sudan on Sunday, where he is expected to meet with senior government officials to discuss the implementation of the recently-signed ceasefire agreement.

JPEG - 22.9 kb
The UN under-secretary-general for peacekeeping operations, Hervé Ladsous, speaks to the press after Security Council consultations on South Sudan, on 9 January 2014 (Photo: Luke Vargas/TRNS)

Ladsous also plans to meet with staff and peacekeepers from the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) to thank them for their efforts in helping protect at risk civilians throughout the crisis.

The first group of peacekeeping reinforcements arrived in South Sudan in mid-January following a UN Security Council decision (UNSC) to bolster UNMISS forces by 5,500 to 12,500 troops.

Among the troops being sent are 850 Nepalese peacekeepers, 350 of whom will be redeployed from Haiti.

9 January, Ladsous said the 5,500-strong surge in UN peacekeepers and equipment could take up to eight weeks to be fully deployed on the ground.

At a press conference in New York on Friday, the spokesperson for the UN secretary-general, Farhan Haq, said UNMISS estimates it is now protecting more than 85,000 civilians at eight bases across the country, including about 43,000 people seeking shelter in two sites in the capital, Juba.

According to Haq, the mission is also currently providing protection for some 28,000 civilians in Upper Nile state capital Malakal, where nearly 1,000 patients have been treated at its hospital since the end of December. Twenty-nine babies have been delivered at the Malakal protection site during the same period.

“The mission has conducted 241 military and 62 police patrols in Juba, Jonglei, Unity and Upper Nile states in the last 24 hours”, Haq said in comments to the press.

A number of high-ranking UN officials have already visited South Sudan since conflict erupted in the capital, Juba, in mid-December following clashes between rival tribal factions within the presidential guards.

UN humanitarian chief Valerie Amos was in South Sudan earlier this week on a three-day visit to meet with aid groups and government officials.

While in mid-January, Ivan Simonovic, the assistant-secretary-general for human rights, visited the country as part of fact-finding mission on human rights abuses committed during the conflict.

According to the latest UN estimates some 740,000 people have been internally displaced since the conflict erupted in Juba before spreading throughout the country as forces loyal to president Salva Kiir and rebel elements aligned with former vice-president Riek Machar battled for control of key areas.

The warring parties signed a ceasefire agreement in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, on 23 January in a deal brokered by East African bloc - the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD).

However, violence in the country has continued since the signing, with both sides accusing each other of violating the terms of the peace deal.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 1 February 10:16, by Wicdail

    No ceasefire on the ground. Kirr’s SPLA and their foreign forces are attacking rebel positions ever since. Their aim is to retakes all towns including counties, forgetting that these places will be recapture by the rebel if that peace in Ethiopia between the two collapse.

    repondre message

    • 1 February 12:42, by Tutbol

      Wicdail,
      Your usual Nuers way of thinking on the straight lines are clamoring for Uganda soldiers to leave S Sudan; when you don’t know that your UN is more of more of a threat to S Sudanese lives than the Ugandan soldiers, but hey! who says Riek Machar & his bunch of his Nuer criminals who were deported by the same US that is using them to destroy our country....

      repondre message

      • 1 February 12:58, by Tutbol

        and kill our people in the name that the Nuers have been in the US and have turn up over night to be a disciple of democracy & that they would bring democracy back to S Sudan!
        The Nuers & their criminals in the US have messed up with the S Sudanese, This war that has destroyed our country is a US generated war against our people & the US with criminals behind must be fought by S Sudanese---

        repondre message

        • 1 February 13:10, by Tutbol

          with their juus & their criminals in Europe. The juus our peoples worship are just as evils as their US-European-Arab allies. These evil criminals would not in anyway, take control of our country & they will be shown their right places. The war in our country is a war that is being waged by the evil juus, the US, EU & their cabal financial backers in the Arab gulf states...

          repondre message

          • 1 February 13:13, by Tutbol

            thanks gods we have have known their evil intrigues game have been noticed by the S Sudanese. And their evil games will not be welcomed into S Sudan.

            repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Who was behind the killing of civilians in Bor? 2014-04-22 06:50:43 By Peter Gai Manyuon "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death", from unknown author. (...)

Embracing victimhood to celebrate victimisation 2014-04-22 06:28:12 By Juliana Bol April 21, 2014 - It was a bit disturbing to hear news of our citizens in the IDP camps (where they are seeking protection and shelter) celebrating the recapture of Bentiu -in (...)

South Sudan: Revenge Killings is not the basis for building a modern nation 2014-04-21 05:39:31 By Steve Paterno April 20, 2014 - The theme of this article develops as a result of my extensive research and writings on a culture of revenge killings among South Sudanese communities, (...)


MORE




VIDEOS



Latest Press Releases


Sudan: No justice for protest killings 2014-04-23 21:06:10 Human Rights WatchRelease Detainees and Punish Abusive Forces (Nairobi, April 21, 2014) – Sudanese authorities have failed to provide justice for scores of civilians killed in anti-government (...)

SDFG mourn the loss of a Sudanese activist 2014-04-20 09:02:39 The Sudan Democracy First Group mourns the loss of Osman Hummaida, a towering figure of the human rights movement in Sudan, and a tireless campaigner for democracy and peace in the country. Osman (...)

UNICEF supports emergency response for children in Sudan with 89 tons of life-saving supplies 2014-04-19 09:47:06 Khartoum, 18 April 2014 --- Today in Khartoum airport, UNICEF received 89 tons of life-saving supplies to support the humanitarian response to children affected by emergencies in various hot (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.