Home | News    Wednesday 29 January 2014

WFP ramps up food aid in South Sudan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

January 29, 2013 (juba) – The World Food Programme (WFP) says it has provided assistance to some 185,000 people displaced by violence in South Sudan and is continuing to reach more each day, despite ongoing fighting.

JPEG - 94.4 kb
Displaced South Sudanese wait in line for food at the Dzaipi transit centre in Uganda (Photo: F. Noy/UNHCR)

The agency is currently ramping up relief efforts in the country as hunger looms for thousands of people affected by the conflict, which erupted in the capital on 15 December before spreading to other regions.

At a UN press briefing in Geneva on Tuesday, the WFP’s Elisabeth Byrs said the agency was also assisting tens of thousands of people who had fled across South Sudan’s borders into neighbouring countries.

Food distributions began on 26 January in Nimule, near the Ugandan border, where some 35,000 internally displaced persons have taken refuge.

Byrs said Nimule was among a number of food distribution points a across the country, including and Juba, Bentiu, Bor, Malakal, Leer, Mingkaman, Yirol East and Yirol West, Mabior, Aweng, Adjuong Thok and Maban county.

She said the agency was also continuing to provide regular food rations to Sudanese refugees living in camps in Unity and Upper Nile states.

The agency is set to provide emergency food assistance to up to 400,000 displaced people, including specialised nutritional support for new mothers and young children as part of a three-month-long $57.8 million operation.

Ongoing fighting in the country has caused widespread disruption to annual plantings and harvests, while mass displacement and insecurity has severely affected people’s ability to sustain their livelihoods.

Earlier this month, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) said the conflict had left the agricultural sector into turmoil, leading to an increased risk of food insecurity and malnutrition.

The WFP estimates that 10 percent of its food stocks in the country have been looted – enough to feed some 180,000 people for a month.

The Rome-headquartered FAO, estimated that some 4.4 million people were already facing food insecurity in South Sudan in 2014 prior to the outbreak of conflict, with 830,000 of those expected to face acute food insecurity.

Over 770,000 people have been forced to flee their homes, including 650,000 people within South Sudan and 123,000 people who have fled to neighboring countries, according to the latest estimates from the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 29 January 2014 07:19, by Johndumo14

    LEAVE SOUTH SUDAN ALONE!!!!
    When Nelson mandela was imprisoned for 27 years. The world powers like, USA,Russia,China,EU,Security council,Why did they not call for his early release???????????
    It it because black VS white ??? And why the world powers like the African Union ,the security council want the 11 S.Sudan politicians to be released ,is it because blacks VS Blacks???? Plse shut ur mouth!

    repondre message

    • 29 January 2014 10:31, by Johndumo14

      Arest warat for Dr Riek machar and his generals.
      East African countries have issued an arest warant for Dr Riek Machar,for the theft of more than $6 billions dollars of their money in KBC
      in 3 states,Bor;bentiu,Malakal,including the stollen of 400 trucks belongs to a Somalis Business man plus worth of millions of goodsstollen by Riek forces,the case is filed in East African Cof Justice

      repondre message

    • 29 January 2014 20:21, by Johndumo14

      Ex-VP Dr Riek Machar and six others are to face treason charges including Rebeka Nyandeng,she is among those opposed to President Salva Kiir rule,But Salva Kiir and his advisers ignore,her because she is the widow of late John Grang.
      Otherwise she is supposed to be imprisoned together with the 11 detained political prisoners,she even behaves like ilitrate,if her husband was a leader,so what???

      repondre message

  • 29 January 2014 07:39, by Johndumo14

    BREAKING NEWS!!!
    This massage is to all those soldiers who defected from Juba,Yei,Kaya,Kajokeji,torit,and othe states like Bentiu,Bor Malakal,who havejoined rebellion please you are kindly asked to surrender to the nearest SPLA UNIT in the area,you will be pardoned by the S.Sudan president,you are welcomed back to your unit with your full pay.This is not the time,to fight,think twice!!

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


On the need to redefine Pan-Africanism from Nkrumah to Museveni 2015-05-21 07:11:10 By Trayo A. Ali “It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change”- Charles Darwin May 25th is African Day. On May 25-2015 the (...)

Will Sudan allow rights experts to do their job? 2015-05-14 06:50:04 By Jehanne Henry Sudan is set to receive not just one, but three visits from international human rights experts this month: the United Nations special rapporteur on violence against women and (...)

Chaos in Libya poses big threat to Sudan and Egypt 2015-05-13 05:56:16 By Amira Khair Speaking to journalists after briefing the Security Council Mr. Bernardo Leon, special representative of the secretary general to Libya, said "chaos in Libya is a huge problem not (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


HRW calls to stop arbitrary detention in Sudan 2015-04-30 21:53:00 Sudan: Surge in Detention, Beatings, Around Elections Free Those Held Arbitrarily; Investigate Abuses (Nairobi, April 29, 2015) – Security forces in Sudan<https://www.hrw.org/africa/sudan> (...)

Sudan’s 2015 Elections: A huge step in democratic consolidation 2015-04-22 13:12:25 EMBASSY OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE SUDAN 3 CLEVELAND ROW, ST.JAMES'S LONDON SW1A 1DD TEL: 020-7839 8080 PRESS AND INFORMATION RELEASE (2/2015) Sudan’s 2015 Elections: A Huge Step in Democratic (...)

Sudanese security arrest rights defender Adil Bakheit 2015-04-18 08:04:21 FRONT-LINE DEFENDRSPress StatementSudan Human rights defender Adil Bakheit arrested Human rights defender Mr Adil Bakheit was arrested on 16 April 2015 by the National Intelligence and Security (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.