Home | News    Saturday 25 January 2014

AU urges South Sudan rivals to implement peace pact

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

By Tesfa-Alem Tekle

January 24 2014 (ADDIS ABABA) – The African Union (AU) has welcomed a ceasefire agreement signed on Thursday between the South Sudanese government of and the rebel movement aligned with former vice-president Riek Machar, calling on both sides to fully implement the terms of the ceasefire deal.

JPEG - 20.8 kb
The AU said implementation of the ceasefire agreement was necessary to help improve the humanitarian situation for thousands of people displaced by fighting (Photo: UNHCR/F. Noy)

While commending the breakthrough, the continental bloc has reminded the two rival parties to adhere to the conditions of the truce agreement, which is aimed at ending more than a month of bitter fighting between forces loyal to president Salva Kiir and those backing Machar.

In a statement issued by the AU peace and Security Council (AUPSC), the chairperson of the AU Commission, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, called on both parties to “faithfully and fully implement” their commitments under the ceasefire deal in order to “rapidly improve the humanitarian situation on the ground”.

East African regional bloc, the Inter-Govermental Authority on Development (IGAD), said it will monitor the ceasefire agreement, adding that no decision had been made as yet on whether peace forces would be deployed to South Sudan.

Regional leaders are expected to discuss the matter at the upcoming AU summit.

The AU chief underscored the need to urgently establish the monitoring and verification mechanism, further urging the South Sudanese government and rebels to fully cooperate with IGAD.

The agreement comes after South Sudan’s government agreed to release 11 pro-Machar political figures who were detained in connection to their links to an alleged failed coup attempt last month to overthrow the Kiir-led government, and followed three weeks of IGAD-led negotiations in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa.

Only a few hours after the agreement was signed, rebels accused government forces of attacking their positions. The government denies the allegations.

The two factions were given 24 hours to implement arrangements for the ceasefire, although some political analysts doubt the two sides will stick to the terms of the agreement, amid an ongoing ethnic-based power struggle.

The fighting, which broke out in the capital, Juba, on 15 December following clashes between rival tribe members of the presidential guards, has killed thousands and forced half a million people to flee their homes.

The UN has accused both sides of committing atrocities and serious human rights violations during the conflict.

Dlamini-Zuma said the AU plans to launch an inquiry to investigate “human rights violations committed in the course of the conflict, with the view to ensuring accountability and promoting reconciliation and healing”.

She urged both parties to quickly engage in all-inclusive political dialogue to bring an end to conflict in the impoverished new nation.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 25 January 05:24, by omoni jr.

    Salva kiir feel humiliated by the world powers for calling him,"liar" about failed coup attempt. I never see primitive and incompetent president that tried to dig his own grave like salva kiir. I heard that his wife is regretting a lot in extend of calling for devorce ,because she knows everything about kiir lies,

    repondre message

    • 25 January 05:47, by Mi diit

      This lazy AU leadership should tell the Ugandan soldiers to immediately withdraw from South Sudan and sanction that mad dog called Museveni for that foolish intervention which will fuel the war and deny Ugandans good relations with South Sudanese in the near future.

      repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Who was behind the killing of civilians in Bor? 2014-04-22 06:50:43 By Peter Gai Manyuon "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death", from unknown author. (...)

Embracing victimhood to celebrate victimisation 2014-04-22 06:28:12 By Juliana Bol April 21, 2014 - It was a bit disturbing to hear news of our citizens in the IDP camps (where they are seeking protection and shelter) celebrating the recapture of Bentiu -in (...)

South Sudan: Revenge Killings is not the basis for building a modern nation 2014-04-21 05:39:31 By Steve Paterno April 20, 2014 - The theme of this article develops as a result of my extensive research and writings on a culture of revenge killings among South Sudanese communities, (...)


MORE




VIDEOS



Latest Press Releases


Sudan: No justice for protest killings 2014-04-23 21:06:10 Human Rights WatchRelease Detainees and Punish Abusive Forces (Nairobi, April 21, 2014) – Sudanese authorities have failed to provide justice for scores of civilians killed in anti-government (...)

SDFG mourn the loss of a Sudanese activist 2014-04-20 09:02:39 The Sudan Democracy First Group mourns the loss of Osman Hummaida, a towering figure of the human rights movement in Sudan, and a tireless campaigner for democracy and peace in the country. Osman (...)

UNICEF supports emergency response for children in Sudan with 89 tons of life-saving supplies 2014-04-19 09:47:06 Khartoum, 18 April 2014 --- Today in Khartoum airport, UNICEF received 89 tons of life-saving supplies to support the humanitarian response to children affected by emergencies in various hot (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.