Home | News    Sunday 12 January 2014

Second group of Sudanese evacuees back home from CAR

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

January 11, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – A second group of Sudanese consisting of 149 people who had been evacuated from Central Africa (CAR) arrived at Khartoum airport late on Friday night as part of government’s efforts to get its citizens out of the war-gripped nation.

JPEG - 21.5 kb
FILE - In this Monday, Dec. 9, 2013 file photo, a suspected member of a Christian militia Sincere Banyodi, 32, lays wounded by machete blows in the Kokoro neighborhood of Bangui, Central African Republic (AP Photo/Jerome Delay, File)

Sudan official news agency (SUNA) reported that a third and final group of 120 people will be flown out of Bangui in the next couple of days.

"The process of evacuating Sudanese from CAR comes as part of the government’s concern with its citizens," Ambassador Abdulaziz Hassan Saleh, the director of Consulates and Expatriates department at the Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, told SUNA.

Saleh said that 205 nationals returned home last week putting the number of total evacuees at 354.

Last week the Sudanese government said that one evacuation mission was aborted over the deteriorating security situation. It also disclosed that its diplomatic staff was under threat of armed militias stationed outside the embassy.

Reuters said that governments of other African countries have evacuated nearly 30,000 of their citizens caught up in the violence.

CAR President Michel Djotodia and his Prime Minister Nicolas Tiangaye agreed to quit on Friday under intense international pressure after they failed to halt months of inter-religious violence that has driven a million people, a quarter of the country’s population, from their homes.

Thousands of people took to the streets of Banguito celebrate the departure of Djotodia, who was swept to power by mainly Muslim rebels, known as Seleka, last March.

Abuses by Seleka forces had led to the creation of Christian self-defense militia and killings that evoked memories of Rwanda’s genocide 20 years ago.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 12 January 14:29, by Black Africa

    As long lslam comes from the ruling party , there will be no peace.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Who was behind the killing of civilians in Bor? 2014-04-22 06:50:43 By Peter Gai Manyuon "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death", from unknown author. (...)

Embracing victimhood to celebrate victimisation 2014-04-22 06:28:12 By Juliana Bol April 21, 2014 - It was a bit disturbing to hear news of our citizens in the IDP camps (where they are seeking protection and shelter) celebrating the recapture of Bentiu -in (...)

South Sudan: Revenge Killings is not the basis for building a modern nation 2014-04-21 05:39:31 By Steve Paterno April 20, 2014 - The theme of this article develops as a result of my extensive research and writings on a culture of revenge killings among South Sudanese communities, (...)


MORE




VIDEOS



Latest Press Releases


Sudan: No justice for protest killings 2014-04-23 21:06:10 Human Rights WatchRelease Detainees and Punish Abusive Forces (Nairobi, April 21, 2014) – Sudanese authorities have failed to provide justice for scores of civilians killed in anti-government (...)

SDFG mourn the loss of a Sudanese activist 2014-04-20 09:02:39 The Sudan Democracy First Group mourns the loss of Osman Hummaida, a towering figure of the human rights movement in Sudan, and a tireless campaigner for democracy and peace in the country. Osman (...)

UNICEF supports emergency response for children in Sudan with 89 tons of life-saving supplies 2014-04-19 09:47:06 Khartoum, 18 April 2014 --- Today in Khartoum airport, UNICEF received 89 tons of life-saving supplies to support the humanitarian response to children affected by emergencies in various hot (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.