January 10, 2014 (RUMBEK) - South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir issued a decree on Thursday re-structuring his 27-member Crisis Management Committee (CMC), which is tasked with assessing the political, social, economic, security and diplomatic of conlfict which began on December 15.
Kiir’s government accuses the former Vice President Riek Machar of staging an attempted coup. Machar denies but is now leading a rebellion, which has spread to Unity and Jonglei state.
Machar and the rest of the cabinet was sacked by Kiir in July. Many leaders of the ruling SPLM have accused Kiir of using the current crisis to try and silence his increasingly vocal critics.
President Kiir has appointed Machar’s replacement James Wani Igga as the Chairman of the committee with the national parliament’s former deputy speaker Daniel Awet Akot.
The decree also appointed Kiir’s presidential advisor for legal affairs Telar Ring Deng as well as the chairman of SPLM youth league Akol Paul Kordit.
The group will provide daily updates to the SPLM leadership.
The committee is tasked with provide strategies for mitigating the consequences of the conflict and formulate an awareness raising strategy, targeting the population, region and international community about the government’s version of events.
Below is the full list of the committee members:
- James Wani Igga, South Sudan Vice President, Chairman of CMC
- Daniel Awet Akot, Deputy Chairman of CMC
- Telar Ring Deng, Presidential Advisor on Legal Affair
- Tut Gatluak eniem, Advisor, Office of the President
- Dr. Martin Elia Lomuro, Minister of Cabinet Affairs
- Kuol Manyang Juuk, minister of Defence and Veteran Affairs
- Paulino Wanawilla Onango, minister of Justice
- Barnaba Marial Benjamin, minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation
- Awan Guol Riak, minister, Office of the President
- Obuto Mamur Mete, minister in the Office of the President for National Security Services
- Aleu Ayieny Aleu, minist of Interior and Wildlife Conservation
- Aggrey Tisa Sabuni, minister of Finance Commerce, Industry and Economic Planning
- Dr. Riek Gai Kok, minister of Health
- Michael Makuei Lueth, minister of Information and Broadcasting
- Awut Deng Acuil, minister of Gender, Child, Social Welfare and Humanitarian Affairs
- Stephen Dhieu Dau, minister of Petroleum and mining
- Prof. Samson Wassara, Lecturer, Juba University
- Maj-Gen Thomas Duoth Guet, Director General, General Intelligence Bureau
- Maj-Gen Akol Koor Kuc, Director General, Internal Security Bureau
- Dr. Lual Acuek Lual, member of NLA
- Prof. Lokulenge Lole, member of the SPLM Liberation Council
- Stephen Wondu, Auditor General, RSS
- Tulio Odong, Government Chief Whip NLA
- Martin Majut Yak, SPLM secretariat
- James Kok Ruea
- Machok Majong Jong
- Akol Paul Kordit