January 8, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs disclosed that it is coordinating with the International Organization for Migration (IOM) to evacuate Sudanese citizens stranded in conflict areas of South Sudan.
- Displaced people prepare their meals at Tomping camp in Juba, where some 15,000 displaced people who fled their homes are sheltered by the United Nations, January 7, 2014 (REUTERS/James Akena)
The director of the Consulates and Expatriates Department at the ministry Ambassador Abdel-Aziz Hassan Saleh said in press statements on Wednesday that the embassy in Juba in coordination with a special ministry committee is working to determine the whereabouts of its citizens in preparation for including them in the upcoming evacuation operations.
Saleh pointed out that there are more than 1,200 citizens in Juba awaiting evacuation in the next stage. He noted that 6,608 including children were moved out of South Sudan’s capital so far.
The diplomat stressed that an emergency room in the ministry is following the situation continuously to check on the situation of Sudanese citizens in all areas of South Sudan.
But Saleh said that the escalation of the situation in Upper Nile State and some other cities have impeded access to Sudanese nationals due to their presence in United Nations camps there.