January 6, 2014 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudanese foreign ministry disclosed on Monday that a plane sent by Khartoum to evacuate its citizens from the Central African Republic (CAR) has aborted its mission over the deteriorating security situation.
- A FOMAC regional peacekeeper screams for a ceasefire as troops fire their guns to secure the evacuation of Muslim clerics from the St Jacques Church in Bangui, Central African Republic, Thursday Dec. 12, 2013 (AP Photo/Jerome Delay)
Kamal al-Deen Ismail, state minister for foreign affairs, told parliament that they planned to move out 350 Sudanese from Bangui including some of the diplomatic staff.
The Sudanese diplomat revealed that an ambush was created by armed groups in Bangui to members of the embassy outside their offices.
Ismail urged the pertinent authorities to provide money and rent planes to bring Sudanese citizens in CAR back home.
He stressed that Sudan is not backing any party to the conflict in CAR and has no reason to adding that Khartoum wants to solve the crisis away from foreign meddling.
MP Ahmad Adam al-Tijani from Darfur said that danger threatens large numbers of Sudanese working in CAR in the sectors of diamond-mining and grazing.
Al-Tijani reported the death of a Sudanese citizen named al-Samani last week on his way to Bangui and had his car burned by unknown assailants.