Home | News    Tuesday 24 December 2013

South Sudan oil production continues despite crisis

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

December 23, 2013 (JUBA) - South Sudan’s oil minister Stephen Dhieu Dau said on Monday that oil-production has continued despite the violence that has swept through the country over the last week, since a clash within the presidential guards on 15 December.

JPEG - 42.7 kb
Stephen Dhieu Dau (Getty/file)

The number of workers at oil fields in Unity and Upper Nile states has been reduced, minister Dau told reporters.

"Oil continues to flow normally in Upper Nile state. There is no problem there. It is only in Unity state where there are some issues but it has not stopped flowing. We only reduced the number of workers in Unity state to minimal level because of security reasons", he said.

Dau did not comment on whether the reduction in workforce would affect normal production levels and the amount of oil that is exported to international markets through neighbouring Sudan.

The commander of the South Sudanese army in Unity state defected over the weekend and has appointed himself as the state’s new governor, siding with South Sudan’s former vice president Riek Machar who is leading a rebellion against president Salva Kiir.

Machar has denied Kiir’s allegation that he attempted to staged a coup a week ago but now says that he wants the president to stand down. South Sudan’s army is preparing for an offensive in Jonglei to retake the state capital Bor.

Following reports that Nuer civilians were targetted during the violence in Juba General Peter Gadet led a mutiny in Bor that has displaced thousands of civilians and forced government officials to shelter at the UN compound there.

An official at the ministry of petroleum and mining, who preferred to remain anonymous, told Sudan Tribune that as well as all foreign staff, workers from the Dinka ethnic group and others who asked to leave have been removed from Unity state.

Clashes between oil workers from rival clans at the Unity and Tharjath oil fields on last week killed 16 people with over 200 people forced to seek refuge in the UN compound in Bentiu town.

Oil company employees from the Nuer ethnic group attacked their Dinka colleagues - reportedly using spears, sticks and knives - as revenge for the alleged targetting of Nuer civilians in Juba since in the fighting broke out on a week ago.

Tensions have been building in the Nuer community in Bentiu after the clashes in Juba left around 500 people dead. Human Rights Watch and others have reported that some civilians were targetted on the basis of their ethnicity.

The ministry official said that what Dau said was "correct in the sense that oil production in Unity state has not been fully closed down at the moment. What happened is that the ministry decided to remove foreign and those local workers who are not from [the] Nuer [tribe], together with those who have expressed deep concern about their safety, even though they were not being targeted."

He says the ministry was forced to scale-down operations because the current unrest in the country had taken on an "ethnic dimension", between Nuer and Dinka after the clashes between the Presidential Guard began in Juba over a week ago.

"The ministry was forced to take these measures because you may have heard what happened last week in Tharjath between the workers themselves and the events in Parieng and Bentiu respectively. Workers turned against their own colleagues and killed. The same way soldiers did in Parieng Bentiu. The incident in Juba was misinterpreted by the politicians to appeal tribal sentiments", he said.

The ministry source said he could not provide the total number of the workers the ministry had approved to remain at the oil fields or the numbers that have been removed as they were still assembling details from the oil companies working at the Unity and Upper Nile state.

(ST)

Read all Sudan Tribune’s coverage of the crisis in South Sudan here:

The latest tweets on the crisis in South Sudan:

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 24 December 2013 08:45, by Paul Chadrack

    Riek just close down the oil and we will see where those greedy bhar el gazel go. It is a God mistake to place such people with us in s sudan.

    repondre message

    • 24 December 2013 08:57, by Gat Gan Kiir

      I am tired for the word that" South Sudan government said that the army is preparing to retake Bor" how long it take you to retake Bor and how long you are going to finish preparing yourself? Come on guys, don’t made things up, no more talk only action is needed. Doot Bany will never face the Mighty Nuer, they only know how to slaughter unarmed civilian. We call for war for only four weeks. Kormid

      repondre message

      • 24 December 2013 11:06, by mathem jech amer

        Gat Gan Kiir
        Yes, I believe Kiir forces got resistance.These forces moved from Juba since last Friday going to Bor, today is Fifth Day and Bor is just 3 hours drive from Juba. What hell going on with them nobody knows, surrendered to Gadet or face resistance?

        repondre message

      • 24 December 2013 13:50, by Darkangel

        !!!! PAGAN NEXT PRESIDENT OF SOUTH SUDAN !!!!!
        They fooled you Southerners in leaving the North, now they will fool you to give power to a non dinka or nuer. But a Zionist - Israeli/American worshiper.

        repondre message

    • 24 December 2013 09:14, by Joseph Canada

      PAUL CHADRAK DON’T LIE. THE OIL FIELDA ARE WORKING. YOU ARE THE PROPAGANDIST WHO IS KIIR’S DIE HARD. YOU ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE STILLING OUR NATIONAL RESOURCES, BUY THE BEST CARS AND YET LIVING UNDER THE COW-DANK UNDER THE TREE THAT HAVE NO LEAVES. WAKE UP STUPID!

      repondre message

  • 24 December 2013 13:44, by Mohammed Ali 2

    Oil production from SS now is only 60k bpd.SS has to pay the $ 5 Billions which it borrowed at a very high interest rate.If the oil is shut down again, we have to forget about oil for the next 20 years.Companies were’nt investing such a choatic atmosphere.Oil industry needs continious investment to keep it rununing.Nobody will put his money deep in a well if he is not sure he is getting more out !

    repondre message

  • 24 December 2013 14:45, by Konan

    To find an amicable solution to the current crisis in SS. nor Dinka neither Nuer should assume power. A man from Shulk ethnic group, which is the 3rd largest tribe in SS, should be the interim president of SS for next year to prepare for the coming election in 2015. Surely Dr. Lam Akol Ajawin, and not Pagan Amum Okech, is the best choice and acceptable to all Southerners.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Al-Bashir’s decree fell short of Sudan’s demands 2014-04-17 09:57:38 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Ampril 16, 2014 - This article comes against the backdrop of the Decree number 158 of 2014 passed by the National Congress Party (NCP) president Marshal Omer Hassan Ahmed (...)

Why hiring a lawyer if you can buy a judge 2014-04-17 09:11:43 By Dong Samuel Luak April 16, 2014 - Many people in South Sudan are asking, how long did it take President Salva Kiir to plan all this tragedy befalling our young country now? Recruitment, (...)

Abyei: Peace cannot be achieved through partial solutions 2014-04-16 06:23:14 By Maiwen Dot Phoet April 15, 2014 - Over the past month, reports received from sources on the ground in Abyei confirm the withdrawal of soldiers affiliated with South Sudan’s army and police (...)


MORE




VIDEOS



Latest Press Releases


Letter to the South Sudanese government on the ratification of the African Charter 2014-04-16 06:24:18 Letter to the Government of South Sudan on the ratification of the African Charter H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit President of the Republic of South Sudan Juba, South Sudan CC: Dr. Barnaba Benjamin (...)

In Sudan, at least 26,000 primary school children risk repeating an entire school year 2014-03-21 08:42:00 UNICEF SUDAN PRESS RELEASE In Sudan, at least 26,000 primary school children risk repeating an entire school year Khartoum, 20 March 2014 --- Primary school-aged children in Sudan are in (...)

Civil society groups call on AUPSC to support holistic peace in Sudan 2014-03-11 07:22:46 An Open Letter from Sudanese Civil Society Addressing the Meeting of the African Union Peace and Security Council (PSC) on the Humanitarian and Political Crises in Sudan H.E. President Thabo (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.