Home | News    Saturday 21 December 2013

Eight people from the same family killed in S. Kordofan bombing: SPLM-N

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

December 20, 2013 (KHARTOUM) – Eight members of the same family were killed this week as Sudan continues its sustained bombing campaign across South Kordofan state in the Nuba Mountains, the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) said on Thursday.

JPEG - 22.6 kb
Children sit in front of their shelter in Bram village in the Nuba Mountains in South Kordofan on 28 April 2012 (Photo: Reuters)

SPLM-N spokesperson Arnu Ngutulu Lodi said the incident occurred on Wednesday at about 2 pm (local time) when an Antonov plane dropped a series of bombs on Tirno village.

Five children from the same family were among the dead, including an eight-month-old baby boy who burned to death after his mother left him inside the house when she went to fetch water. A six-year-old boy was also injured in the attack.

Lodi said the Sudanese air force has been carrying out sustained aerial attacks on villages in South Kordofan’s Rashad county on a daily basis since 26 November.
He said the attacks routinely occurred between 7am and 7pm (local time), with up to 50 bombs dropped each day.

He said the attacks had caused deaths and massive displacements, particularly in the Shamshaka, kaliny, Ardeba, Dien and Farsha villages, with the latter completely destroyed on Monday.

According to Lodi, more than 20,000 people don’t have access to food, shelter or medicines and remain in desperate need of humanitarian assistant.

The SPLM-N said attacks on the Kega-Alkhail area earlier this month had displaced 2,000 people from Jigeba, Torlet and Kuldang villages, which were completely destroyed, while 287 families fled to caves, riverbeds and the bush in Korongo area after separate attacks on Kanga and Lima villages.

The border states of South Kordofan and Blue Nile state has been the scene of violent conflict since 2011 when the SPLM-N launched an insurgency against the Khartoum regime.

Advocacy groups have long accused the Sudanese government of applying a scorched earth policy in the region as a military strategy, with hundreds of thousands of refugees fleeing to South Sudan and Ethiopia to escape the bomb attacks.

Peace talks between the two parties remain deadlocked after they failed to reach a common ground for negotiations. While the government says it is only willing to discuss the conflict in the Two Areas, the SPLM-N is demanding a comprehensive peace process.

Last month, SAF announced the beginning of extensive military operations to end rebellion in the country, pledging to eliminate all rebel groups by 2014.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Al-Bashir’s decree fell short of Sudan’s demands 2014-04-17 09:57:38 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Ampril 16, 2014 - This article comes against the backdrop of the Decree number 158 of 2014 passed by the National Congress Party (NCP) president Marshal Omer Hassan Ahmed (...)

Why hiring a lawyer if you can buy a judge 2014-04-17 09:11:43 By Dong Samuel Luak April 16, 2014 - Many people in South Sudan are asking, how long did it take President Salva Kiir to plan all this tragedy befalling our young country now? Recruitment, (...)

Abyei: Peace cannot be achieved through partial solutions 2014-04-16 06:23:14 By Maiwen Dot Phoet April 15, 2014 - Over the past month, reports received from sources on the ground in Abyei confirm the withdrawal of soldiers affiliated with South Sudan’s army and police (...)


MORE




VIDEOS



Latest Press Releases


Letter to the South Sudanese government on the ratification of the African Charter 2014-04-16 06:24:18 Letter to the Government of South Sudan on the ratification of the African Charter H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit President of the Republic of South Sudan Juba, South Sudan CC: Dr. Barnaba Benjamin (...)

In Sudan, at least 26,000 primary school children risk repeating an entire school year 2014-03-21 08:42:00 UNICEF SUDAN PRESS RELEASE In Sudan, at least 26,000 primary school children risk repeating an entire school year Khartoum, 20 March 2014 --- Primary school-aged children in Sudan are in (...)

Civil society groups call on AUPSC to support holistic peace in Sudan 2014-03-11 07:22:46 An Open Letter from Sudanese Civil Society Addressing the Meeting of the African Union Peace and Security Council (PSC) on the Humanitarian and Political Crises in Sudan H.E. President Thabo (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.