December 12, 2013 (KHARTOUM) - The head of the committee for voluntary return in Abu Kershola, South Kordofan state, Mohamed Al-Gaili, has said that the state authorities failed to facilitate the return of 41.271 people who fled the town and its surrounding villages during the attack of the rebel Sudan Revolutionary Front (SRF) last April.
Abu-Kershola which is located in north east of South Kordofan state and on the border with North Kordofan, had been seized by the SRF fighters on 27 April, but the Sudanese army was able to recapture the town a month later.
As a result, 19.000 people had fled the area to Al-Rahad in North Kordofan state.
Al-Gaili, who also heads Abu Kershola organisation for peace and development, told the pro-government Ashorooq TV that 35.800 representing 4318 family were registered for return to Abu Kershola.
He pointed that 5.741 people representing 1513 family wish to return to their villages in Um Brimbita, Al-Faid, and Khor Al-Dalaib.
Al-Gaili said that they contacted the voluntary return official in South Kordofan state capital city of Kadougli, Khalifa Ibrahim, several times and filled out the required forms to determine the numbers of displaced persons who wish to return to Abu Kershola.
"If the Humanitarian Aid Commission (HAC) is unable to return Abu Kershola residents to their homes, the government must interfere and carry out the mission", he added.
He asserted the improvement of security situation in the area which encouraged several displaced people to return on their own, disclosing that he will meet with the HAC officials in Khartoum this week.
Al-Gaili further pointed that he is planning to meet with president Omer Hassan Al-Bashir to brief him on the true situation in Abu Kershola, mentioning that his organisation would conduct workshops to discuss the mental state of women and children in the area.