Home | News    Friday 22 November 2013

Sudan’s rights body admits existence of human rights violations

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

November 22, 2013 (KHARTOUM) - Sudan’s National Commission for Human Rights (NCHR) has admitted the existence of human rights violations in the country including restrictions on freedoms and civil and political rights.

The NCHR’s complaints committee disclosed that it received 83 complaints in 2013 and 42 complaint in 2012 relating to human rights abuses.

The NCHR deputy chairperson, Joseph Khalil, said in press conference on Thursday that most of the complaints involve cases of security and freedoms abuses while some complaints are related to land disputes, pointing that few cases relate to violations committed by the police.

He acknowledged that the NCHR receives foreign funding, saying that several countries financed NCHR’s workshops in Sudan.

The government by the end of last year closed down different civil society and rights groups, accusing it of receiving foreign funds and collaborating with the opposition groups to overthrow the regime.

The NCHR member, Mohamed Ahmed Al-Shayeb, said that they face numerous problems including lack of a specific budget and experienced cadres, adding that they examined all complaints and submitted recommendations to the presidency, parliament, and the minister of justice to take the necessary action.

He pointed that the NCHR carry out executive and policymaking work which is not part of its mandate and acknowledged underperformance, saying that they use personal resources to carry out their duties due to lack of funding.

Last month, the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) agreed to renew the mandate of the independent expert on the situation of human rights in Sudan for a further 12 months.

Earlier this month, a group of 11 international and African organisations called on the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR) to order a fact-finding mission to investigate the deaths and detention of hundreds of protesters during recent demonstrations in Sudan.

Protests erupted on September 23 in Sudan’s major towns, following an announcement by the government the previous day that it was lifting subsidies on fuel and other basic commodities, leading to calls for regime change.

At least 200 protesters died, 15 of them children, and more than 800 others have been detained.

Sudanese authorities continue to crackdown hard on national and international media outlets ordering some to shut down.

Sudanese journalists work under tight daily censorship controls exercised by the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS).

The NISS recently intensified its crackdown on press in the country, introducing tough new measures to prevent media outlets from covering recent anti-government protests which erupted following the lifting of subsidies on fuel and other basic commodities.

Several journalists were arrested amid accusations of “disturbing the public” and several daily newspapers were shut down, including Al-Intibabha and Al-Mejhar, while others such as Al-Ayam decided to stop working, saying the current conditions do not allow them to exercise their profession.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 22 November 2013 07:20, by Observer

    Oh what hypocrisy and double standards from our Government.
    The government department NCHR is allowed to receive foreign funding but civil society and rights groups are closed down by the Government due to them allegedly receiving foreign funding!!!!
    Just shakes my head in amazement.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Economic woes compel a shift in Khartoum’s “strategic alliance with Iran” 2015-03-30 21:04:12 By Eric Reeves Sudan Tribune reports today a remarkable declaration by the Khartoum regime’s foreign minister, Ali Karti: “We were never allies with Iran: Sudan Foreign Minister” The Sudanese (...)

What is wrong with the IGAD peace process? 2015-03-29 22:39:56 By Alfred Ladu Gore 1. The Effects of Flawed Methodological Approach on the Fundamental Issues Arising from the Crisis Situation in South Sudan In the methodological context of this paper, it (...)

Creating peace in South Sudan requires extraordinary precautions 2015-03-29 11:55:31 By Panther Alier On March 6, 2015, South Sudanese were hit again with grim news, the failure of the government and rebels led by Riek Machar to agree on almost everything that was on negotiation (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Seventy-six organizations call for publication of AU Inquiry Report as deadline for peace passes 2015-03-07 05:04:51 6 March 2015: FOR Immediate Release SOUTH SUDAN: The African Union (AU) Peace and Security Council (PSC) should immediately consider, publish and disseminate the final report of the Commission (...)

Archbishop Taban calls for reconciliation and forgiveness 2015-02-23 09:30:38 February 2015 Greetings from Peace Village, Kuron. It is really a Peace Village. I had my peaceful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year in Kuron. God really blessed the area with Peace. You can (...)

WFP appreciates US additional support for S. Sudan’s hungry 2015-02-19 08:20:15 17 February 2015 (JUBA)- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of US$165.5 million from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to feed (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.