Home | News    Tuesday 19 November 2013

Two children killed in bomb attack in S. Kordofan: SPLM-N

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

November 18, 2013 (KHARTOUM) - Two children were killed and another injured following a bomb attack by the Sudanese army (SAF) on South Kordofan’s Buram county in the Nuba Mountains on Sunday.

The attack comes as negotiations between Sudan’s ruling National Congress Party (NCP) and the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) over the terms of a planned polio vaccination campaign for children in rebel-held areas remains deadlocked.

The SPLM-N, which is leading an insurgency against the Khartoum regime, said the latest attack showed children were at more immediate risk of bomb attacks than the threat of polio.

The attack was captured on video and shows a Mig-24 aircraft approaching the village prior to the attack. In disturbing footage of the aftermath villagers are shown weeping inconsolably on the ground, while their homes burn around them.

At one point villagers lift a pink cloth from a stretcher to reveal the bloodied bodies of the children lying side by side.

The video also includes footage of a huge crater where the bomb landed.

The SPLM-N said the incident was further testament that the military is systematically targeting civilian populations.

“The bombs destroyed farms and caused terror to civilians. [The] SPLM/A-N and other SRF (Sudan Revolutionary Forces) forces will not keep quiet while the NCP is continuing its atrocities against the civilians, specially the children. Our response will be strong and severe against the genocidal and ethnic-cleansing regime”, said SPLM/A-N spokesperson Arnu Ngutulu Lodi.

The two victims have been named as 10-year-old Alnur Tromba al-Tijani and seven-year-old Tia Nihaya.

Lodi said the bombs had also destroyed homes and food stocks for a number of families.

In a statement issued on Monday, SPLM-N secretary-general Yasir Arman said Sudan has denied access of humanitarian assistance for civilian populations inside rebel-held areas for two years, where aerial bombardments have displaced thousands of people.

He accused the international community of continuing to turn a “blind eye” to the humanitarian situation on the ground, saying its complacency was providing Sudanese president Omer Hassan al-Bashir with a “blank check” to kill Sudanese people.

“This is a fact that many in Africa and in international community circles are deliberately ignoring [the situation] because admitting it would require them to provide civilian protection as per international humanitarian law, and for them, it is better to keep a blind eye”, he said.

“The silence of some circles in the international community is providing the environment for General Bashir to continue killing and targeting the civilian populations in the rural and urban areas of Sudan without being questioned by anyone, even by some of those who indicted him [for alleged war crimes in Darfur]”, he adds.

He called for unhindered access for humanitarian assistance in the Nuba Mountains, Blue Nile and Darfur, as well as a humanitarian cessation of hostilities that addresses the civilian humanitarian needs, and is not pre-conditioned by a political agenda.

“Civilian populations should not be punished for political purposes or gain. The right for humanitarian aid and protection is guaranteed by international humanitarian law”, said Arman.

South Kordofan and neighbouring Blue Nile state has been the scene of violent conflict between the SPLM-N and SAF since 2011.

The Sudanese government has consistently accused South Sudan of backing the rebels – which fought alongside the South during its struggle for independence from the north – although Juba denies the claims.

Last month, aid agencies said more than 2,600 Sudanese refugees fled rebel-held areas in South Kordofan amid ongoing conflict and worsening food shortages in the region, with most crossing into South Sudan.

UN humanitarian agencies are hoping to reach some 165,000 children under the age of five in rebel-held areas in Blue Nile and South Kordofan states as part of a national vaccination campaign launched on 5 November.

However, the UN says it has been unable to proceed with the vaccination campaign due to the failure of the two parties to reach a deal on technical issues. Both sides have accused the other of hindering the campaign’s implementation.

Earlier this month, the Sudanese government announced a unilateral cessation of hostilities following discussions with members of the tripartite initiative, but refused to meet with rebels to discuss the implementation of the operation.

The SPLM-N has insisted that the NCP engage in direct negotiations, saying that only the African Union was mandated to negotiate a truce deal.

Last week, Khartoum changed its stance, saying it was ready to hold discussions with the SPLM-N in order to facilitate the vaccination campaign.

However, Sudan’s chief negotiator, Ibrahim Gandour, said his government was not invited to a 4 November meeting in Addis Ababa organised by the AU mediation team for the two parties to discuss the technical issues

Sudan’s apparent change of heart followed calls by UN emergency coordinator John Ging for the UN Security Council (UNSC) to intervene to ensure the vaccination campaign goes ahead.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 19 November 2013 10:25, by Kalo

    Jalaby and his criminals should watch this video properly,final they will paid the high price for that,struggle continues.
    The son of Nuba.

    repondre message

    • 19 November 2013 11:07, by Jalaby

      Ya Wad Al-Nuba,
      Nothing in this video could prove this fire here and there and the killed children were due to jet fighter attack, actually, this is a cheap and silly drama and show by SPLA-N terrorists who attack unattended army and police cities, kill,loot and terrorize civilians and then run and hide in villages and take

      repondre message

      • 19 November 2013 11:22, by Jalaby

        villagers as abductees and make them as human shields when SAF attack them, coward people!
        Did you forget what SPLA-N did to civilians when they attacked Abu Karshola, Um Rawaba, Al-Rahad and Allah Kareem city?
        Did you forget when they attacked and abducted Chinese workers who are developing the infrastructure in S Kordofan for the benefit of S Kordofan citizen who

        repondre message

        • 19 November 2013 11:29, by Jalaby

          Al-Hilo hypocritically claims and brags that he is fighting for their right while he kills any type of development in the area which could benefit the poor people overthere,ironically,Chinese authorities went to Salva Kiir in Juba and demanded from him the release of the Chinese abductees by terrorist Al-Hilo and Kiir issued his order to his agent Al-Hilo to release

          repondre message

          • 19 November 2013 11:40, by Jalaby

            them and just few hours later the Chinese abductees were released, what other mercenary than that you need!!
            Who killed Ibrahim Balandia and put more than 17 pullets in his dead body? who put Telefone Kuku in Juba jail without indictment and prevented him from running S Kordofan governor election because he knows very well if Kuku got released then he will divide

            repondre message

            • 19 November 2013 11:45, by Jalaby

              Nuba Mountains people ballots and the prevalence for sure will go to NCP candidate if not Kuku himself!
              The list is really long if we want to count Al-Hilo crimes and this is not the right place to count them!
              BTW, what Nuba Mountains branch are you belonging to my friend? what is the meaning of "JAL BO DAWEILK" in Nuba "ROTANA" LOOOL

              repondre message

  • 19 November 2013 20:11, by Kalo

    Jalabay abojabad,video show nothing i know that fine but Jalal Tawir Justify after SPLM/N retaliation shelling the town of Kadugli today,why are you and governor cried,shout up your mouth.
    Wad-Alnuba

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The looming crisis of constitutional legitimacy in South Sudan 2015-01-27 09:27:20 By Luka Biong Deng The way government gets legitimacy has been at the centre of political inquiry. As political legitimacy is seen as individuals’ voluntary consent to be governed by the (...)

Stocktaking the path of the 59th anniversary of Sudan’s independence 2015-01-25 08:33:41 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman January 24, 2014 - The primary purpose of this article, besides highlighting on the Sudanese Independence Day, is the following up the events that accompanied the years (...)

Critique of SPLM reunification agreement in Arusha 2015-01-23 06:33:49 By James Okuk January 23, 2014 - The Agreement on the Reunification of the SPLM that was signed in January 21, 2015 in Arusha, Tanzania, suggests three problematic tends despite the fact that it (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s Security Services raid and order closure of Mahmoud Mohamed Taha Cultural Centre 2015-01-24 03:41:41 African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies (23 January 2015) At 11am on 18 January, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) of Omdurman, Khartoum state, raided the Mahmoud (...)

Women groups announce their support for Sudan Call 2015-01-17 08:34:07 Position Statement from the Women’s Political Forces and Civil Society organizations and Groups on the Sudan Call To the People of Sudan We, the undersigned women, are fully motivated by our (...)

Norway grants US $1.9 million for humanitarian needs in Darfur 2014-12-16 06:47:08 The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - KHARTOUM Norway helps provide nutritious food to malnourished families in Sudan 14 December 2014 KHARTOUM – The United Nations World Food Programme (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.