Home | News    Thursday 7 November 2013

AU, UN ask LRA fighters to abandon rebellion

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

October 06, 2013 (KAMPALA) - The African Union (AU) and the United Nations (UN) have asked fighters of the rebel Lords Resistance Army (LRA) to abandon rebellion for peace and stability in Central African Republic(CAR).

The AU Special Envoy for the LRA, Francisco Madeira and Abou Moussa, the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General and Head of the United Nations Regional Office in CAR , made the call in a joint statement issued at the end of a recent mission to Bangui, Central Africa and Juba, South Sudan.

‘‘We ask them to be receptive to the messages they receive through various channels on the need to contribute to the creation of favourable conditions for a return to peace and security in the CAR,’’ said Abou Moussa, according to a statement from the United Nations Regional Office for Central Africa (UNOCA).

The American advocacy group, Invisible Children, has been at the forefront of disseminating ‘‘Come Home’’ messages targeting LRA fighters in CAR using local radios and leaflets dropped by air.

Moussa also urged LRA fighters to abandon their leader, Joseph Kony, who for decades has been at the helm of the rebel outfit.

‘‘For this, they should just abandon Joseph Kony, the LRA leader, who we invite also, once again, to lay down his arms,” said the AU Envoy for the LRA.

The LRA is originally a Ugandan rebel group. For two decades the rebels were involved in a vicious fight with the Ugandan government. Most of the fighting was in northern Uganda.

At the peak of the conflict nearly two million people in the region, Joseph Kony’s home area, and where most of his fighters also come from, were forced from their homes and villages into internally displaced persons camp.

The rebel group has been accused of mass murder and forceful abduction of civilian population to swell their ranks.

Francisco Madeira, the UN Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General and Head of the United Nations Regional Office for Central Africa said they are aware that most of the LRA fighters were abducted but he asked them not to fear abandoning rebellion.

“We know that women and children were forcibly recruited by the LRA commanders. We tell them not to be afraid of anything either. In case of withdrawal from the LRA, they will be welcomed, their security will be guaranteed and discussions will be initiated to organize their social reintegration or their resettlement,’’ said the UN Special Envoy.

In 2005, the International Criminal Court indicted the top LRA leaders including its leader Joseph Kony for crimes against humanity.

None of the rebel leaders’ has been apprehended and taken to the ICC so far.

The LRA was flushed out of Uganda in 2006 into South Sudan then Democratic Republic of Congo, and finally CAR where it continues to be active.

The rebel group is designated as a terrorist organisation by the US state department and is considered a security threat to the stability of the Great Lakes region.

In 2011, US President Barrack Obama sent to the Great Lakes region 100 military advisers to help the armies of Uganda, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan and Central Africa Republic to fight the rebels.

The regional effort against the LRA was disrupted in March this year when rebel forces took over power from President Francois Bozize Bozize. The rebels then ordered Ugandan troops and other foreign armies hunting for Kony to get out of CAR.

Consequently the Ugandan army suspended the fight against the rebels raising concern it would provide the brutal rebel group with a vital opportunity to re-group, abduct civilians, swell their ranks and cause more mayhem.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 7 November 2013 07:32, by Kurnyel

    No that will not happen atless Uganda drop supports Southerners.

    repondre message

  • 7 November 2013 19:35, by Gat-khir

    LRA is regrouping itself again in south sudan. It has killed and abducted people in the last two days in Tambura and Ezo counties. Central African Republic must be held accountable for this. I have send my commando boys to the area and they are chasing and crushing these cannibals inside CAR. Good news will follow soon.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Problems facing South Sudan must be told 2019-08-25 22:50:20 By Dak Buoth The issues pertaining to our country have always been emotive for they are things to do with war. Over the last seven or so years, South Sudan has dominated the international (...)

Sudan’s Constitutional Declaration was reduced to absurdity 2019-08-13 20:31:25 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman After paying tributes to the martyrs and hoping healing for wounded and offer sincere greetings to the rebellious Sudanese people who are inevitably victorious, having (...)

Options and opportunities for SPLM-N al-Hilu to join Sudan’s transition 2019-08-13 20:06:06 By Ibrahim B. Musa Despite the initial signing of the political on July, 17th, 2019 and constitutional declaration on August 4th, 2019, as well as the previous exhausting efforts made in (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.