October 16, 2013 (ADDIS ABABA) – Ethiopia has arrested three suspects in connection with Sunday’s bomb blast in which two people were killed.
A police source told Sudan Tribune that the bomb went off while the two were making it to carry out a terror attack against soccer fans gathered to watch a world cup qualifier football match.
“The victims were Somali nationals who entered the country illegally” the police said on Tuesday.
The incident happened in Bole district near the country’s international Airport.
It is not clear if the incident and the arrested suspects are linked with Al-Qaida allied militant group, Al Shabaab.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the bomb blast.
After Al- shabbab carried out an attack on Kenya last month, Ethiopian opposition groups cautioned that Ethiopia could come under similar attack by the group unless it pulls its troops out of Somalia.
Earlier this month, Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Deslaegn said that Ethiopia won’t pull out of Somalia until peace and security is secured in the country.
Last month a Spokesperson for the ministry of Foreign affairs, Dina Mufti told Sudan Tribune that Al shabaab does not pose any imminent threat to the country.
“Our defense force and intelligence is excellent enough to defend their country and there is no reason the public should be worried” he said.
Al shabaab has been threatening to attack Ethiopia.
Ethiopia withdrew its troops from Somalia in 2009 but redeployed in 2011 and has since then been fighting al Shabaab alongside African Union forces.