Home | News    Friday 4 October 2013

Amnesty International says more than 200 killed in Sudan protests

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

October 3, 2013 (KHARTOUM) - More than 200 people were killed in the protests that erupted across Sudan last week, Amnesty International said on Wednesday.

JPEG - 31.8 kb
FILE - In this Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2013 file photo, Sudanese men look at damage to of a police check point office after protesters burnt it Tuesday night, amid a wave of unrest over the lifting of fuel subsidies by the Sudanese government, in Kadro, 15 miles (24.14 kilometers) north of downtown Khartoum (AP Photo/Abd Raouf)

"The number of deaths of protesters is estimated at 210 people in Khartoum alone, according to the Sudanese Doctors’ Union. Amnesty International has spoken to doctors who report that the majority of deaths in hospital were due to gunshot wounds to the chest and head. The death toll estimate does not include people killed in other towns and cities in Sudan where protests continue, or those who were not taken to hospital," the UK-based rights watchdog said yesterday.

The demonstrations were directly linked to the government’s decision to scale back fuel subsidies which almost doubled the prices of gasoline and diesel.

Khartoum denied that its security forces have used live ammunition and suggested that rebels from the Sudan Revolutionary Front (SRF) infiltrated the protests and carried out the killings. The government insists that only 34 people were killed including policemen contrary to higher figures offered by activists and opposition.

Around 700 people were arrested in connections with the riots which saw vandalizing to gas stations and public transportation buses.

Today, a group of 35 people appeared before a judge in Khartoum’s Haj Youssef district, defense lawyer Muatassim al-Haj told Reuters. Among the defendants were five people from South Sudan, three women and eight teenagers, he said.

"None of them was actually arrested during the demonstrations but only on the following day," Haj added.

The judge offered to release the group on a bail of 20,000 Sudanese pounds ($2,500) but they could not raise the funds, he said.

In today’s weekly cabinet meeting chaired by Sudanese president Omer Hassan al-Bashir, the interior minister Ibrahim Mahmoud Hamed briefed his peers on last week’s demonstrations and emphasized the right to peacefully protest but he pointed out that some protestors resorted to violence and vandalism which required deploying troops to protect strategic facilities.

According to cabinet spokesman Omar Mohamed Saleh, some individuals and groups used firearm against innocent citizens in areas in the outskirts of the capital that had no demonstrations or vandalism incidents. He added that some arrests were made in connection with these instances while others are still being sought.

Saleh said that the report also mentioned that vandalism covered large parts of the capital including 42 gas station, 9 pharmacies, 40 public vehicles, 2 companies, eight police stations, 81 comprehensive security sites, 35 police vehicles, 5 banks and 23 governmental buildings.

The interior minister asserted that what happened is not a protest against the economic measures , but organized operations for the purpose of sabotage and looting.

The governor of Khartoum state Abdulrahman al-Khidir told the cabinet during the meeting that the police never used live ammunition and that all the deaths occurred as a result of "sinful hands" meant to ignite sedition in the country.

Al-Khidir said they releases all those who participated in the demonstrations but took no part in any subversive activities or infringement on the lives or properties of citizens.

The cabinet meeting hailed the police that avoided using force and exercised maximum restraint.

In a related issue, Sudanese authorities detained 9 female students from University of Khartoum (UoK) who demonstrated to protest against the crackdown on protestors.

Activists said that dozens of UoK carried signs calling on Bashir to step down and releasing detainees
"A security patrol came and took 9 of them," they said.

On social networking sites, activists have circulated invitation for demonstration tomorrow across Sudan following Friday prayers.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 4 October 2013 09:25, by Observer

    Shame, shame, shame!
    For those who have buried our dead we know what killed them - live ammunition shot from the guns of police and security- not rebels.
    When will the Governor of Khartoum and the government stop their lying??

    repondre message

  • 4 October 2013 09:31, by Observer

    The Qatar and Chinese governments should be feeling ashamed of supporting this regime but of course they wont be as they see that the Sudan government is doing nothing wrong. Shame on you too. You have blood on your hands as well.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


A new approach to peace 2018-04-23 06:16:35 By Miroslav Laják When the United Nations was created, its founders envisioned a different kind of world. A world in which disputes were resolved in meeting rooms and not battlefields. A world (...)

Bring Sudanese troops home now 2018-04-21 15:25:57 By Salah Shuaib The Sudanese troops fighting hard now in Yemen, who were sent there by order of al-Bashir, should return home. The process of implementing this task is much challenging. But, we (...)

Dissolution and formation of the Cabinet - 2013 2018-04-20 08:00:00 Amb Telar Deng The events that led to the 2013 dissolution of cabinet can be traced back to the deep mistrust that fermented back in 1991 when leaders failed to close ranks. After the 1991 (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan 2018-04-22 10:01:20 UN Secretary-General, New York African Union Commission, Addis Ababa UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan (...)

Abyei celebrates Mine Awareness Day 2018-04-05 08:52:03 4 April 2018 | Abyei - The United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) commemorated the International Day for Mine Awareness and (...)

Appeal for forgiveness and pardon of John Agou Wuoi 2018-03-07 08:28:08 H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit, President and Commander-in-Chief, of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), Republic of South Sudan (RSS), 5th February, 2018. Through: Hon. Michael Makuei Lueth (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.