Home | News    Friday 27 September 2013

Sudan insists that Bashir’s visa request to US remains pending despite missing meetings

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

September 26, 2013 (KHARTOUM) - The Sudanese foreign minister Ali Karti criticized the United States for dragging its feet on approving the visa request of president Omer Hassan al-Bashir to attend the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) meetings this week.

JPEG - 25.5 kb
Sudanese President Omer Hassan al-Bashir speaks during a press conference in Khartoum late on September 22, 2013 (ASHRAF SHAZLY/AFP/Getty Images)

Karti, who is currently in New York, said that Bashir now missed the African Union Peace and Security Council (AUPSC) that took place on the sidelines of the UNGA meetings.

The Sudanese foreign ministry said in a statement carried by state media today that reports on Bashir cancelling his US trip are "false". It criticized the delay in the visa approval process by the US despite the 1947 UN headquarters agreement saying it is a breach of its obligations.

Bashir was placed on the speakers list for the UNGA session on Thursday but on Wednesday the UN said that the Sudanese leader will not be coming.

"Protocol has now confirmed that Sudan has cancelled President Bashir’s appearance at the General Assembly," a UN spokesman, Jerome Bernard, told Agence France Presse (AFP) yesterday.

The spokesman said that Karti would now address the assembly on Friday.

“We understand he is not coming and we’re glad he’s not coming,” Christian Wenaweser, the U.N. ambassador of Liechtenstein and former president of the Assembly of ICC States Parties told the Washington Post.

“We think it would have been bad for the United Nations to host someone who has been issued and international arrest warrant" Wenaweser added.

The Washington Post said the cancellation followed several days of diplomatic efforts by the US to convince Bashir not to come to the United States, warning that it could not guarantee he would not be subject to arrest, according to UN based diplomats.

It is not clear if Bashir will end up receiving the visa despite this year’s UNGA session coming to a close.

For the first time since the International Criminal Court (ICC) charged him with war crimes and genocide four years ago in connection with Darfur conflict, Bashir said he wishes to attend the UNGA meeting this year.

The US swiftly decried Bashir’s visa application but declined to say whether it will reject it. Under the UN headquarters agreement, the US is obligated to promptly issue visas for officials seeking to participate in UN events except under very limited circumstances related to national security.

But the US State department said that the ICC arrest warrant will be considered when assessing Bashir’s visa request.

The US is not a member of the ICC and as such has no legal obligation to execute the warrants and under the UN headquarters agreement is required to promptly grant visas to world officials seeking to participate in events at the world body.

The ICC Pre-Trial chamber, in a decision issued last week, said it had ‘‘… invited the competent US authorities to arrest Omar Al Bashir and surrender him to the Court, in the event he enters their territory.’’

But Bashir at a press conference on Sunday night challenged the US to deny him entry or arrest him adding that his flight and lodging plans for New York have already been made.

"Those people [US government] we put them in a corner….We [can] go to the US and no one can do anything to us because there is no law in America that affords US authorities the right to take any action against me because it is not a member of the Rome Statute. "Attending the [UN] General Assembly [meeting] is our right" the Sudanese president told reporters.

Since the arrest warrants. Bashir was forced to cancel appearances in several regional and international events. In some cases his plane was denied passage through airspace of Turkmenistan, Saudi Arabia and Tajikistan.

Last July, Bashir’s reportedly “fled” Nigeria where he was scheduled to take part in a regional summit over a case filed in a local court by the Nigeria Coalition on the International Criminal Court (NCICC) to compel the government to arrest him.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Arms transfers to South Sudan ensure a violent future for a people desperate for peace 2015-01-28 14:06:46 By Geoffrey L. Duke Peace advocates around the world were shocked by news of China’s shipment of arms to the Government of South Sudan in June 2014. The shipment reportedly included $38 million (...)

A reading of the Arusha intra-SPLM agreement 2015-01-28 09:39:38 By: Dr Lam Akol On the 21st of January 2015, the three factions of the SPLM (now calling themselves ‘Groups’) inked in Arusha, Tanzania, an agreement dubbed “Agreement on the Reunification of the (...)

The looming crisis of constitutional legitimacy in South Sudan 2015-01-27 09:27:20 By Luka Biong Deng The way government gets legitimacy has been at the centre of political inquiry. As political legitimacy is seen as individuals’ voluntary consent to be governed by the (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s Security Services raid and order closure of Mahmoud Mohamed Taha Cultural Centre 2015-01-24 03:41:41 African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies (23 January 2015) At 11am on 18 January, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) of Omdurman, Khartoum state, raided the Mahmoud (...)

Women groups announce their support for Sudan Call 2015-01-17 08:34:07 Position Statement from the Women’s Political Forces and Civil Society organizations and Groups on the Sudan Call To the People of Sudan We, the undersigned women, are fully motivated by our (...)

Norway grants US $1.9 million for humanitarian needs in Darfur 2014-12-16 06:47:08 The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - KHARTOUM Norway helps provide nutritious food to malnourished families in Sudan 14 December 2014 KHARTOUM – The United Nations World Food Programme (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.