September 18, 2013 (BOR) - A task force from the central government in Juba led by the national minister of Gender, Child and Social Welfare Awut Deng Achuil on Wednesday visited Jonglei state to assess the damage caused by recent flooding in the state.
- Truck drivers and passengers remain stranded along a flooded section of road while driving from the Ugandan border to Nimule in South Sudan on 27 August 2013 (Photo: Reuters/Andreea Campeanu)
The task force which was formed by the President Salva Kiir in the aftermath of the floods held meetings with Jonglei state officials.
Peter Lam Both, Chairman of South Sudan Relief and Rehabilitation Commission (SSRRC) and Rachael Nyadak Paul, Deputy Minister of Information and Broadcasting are some of its members.
Bor county and Twic East were the most affected by the flooding.
Duop Lam, the state minister of Law enforcement said thousands of families had been displaced by the floods.
“In Bor town we have more than 45,000 families that have been affected by the flood," said Lam who chairs the committee formed to collect data on the affected population.
The affected communities in Bor town were accommodated in Malek secondary school after the government ordered that schools close for two weeks.
But with end of the two-week period and with students resuming studies, over 200 displaced people were being forced to leave.
But Awuok Malaak, one of the women living at Malek said they have nowhere to go as their homes are still flooded.
“We are not ready to leave without instruction from the commissioner of Bor county and acting governor. We have nowhere to go because our residential areas are still covered with water," Malaak said.
The flooding has made many parts of Jonglei difficult to access as some of the roads are still inaccessible.