Home | News    Thursday 22 August 2013

WHO puts number of Sudan flood victims at 320,000

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

August 21, 2013 (KHARTOUM) - The World Health Organisation (WHO) has put the number of people affected by the recent Sudan flood crisis at 320,000 – significantly higher than official figures released so far.

JPEG - 49 kb
Family members rest in the remains of their house destroyed by floods caused by heavy rains in Khartoum on 6 August 2013 (Photo: Reuters/Mohamed Nureldin Abdallah)

According to its Sudan health sector bulletin released on Wednesday, rising malaria rates and the collapse of some 52,856 emergency latrines, along with the growing swarms of flies and mosquitoes, are posing a significant public health threat in affected areas.

WHO says Sudan’s ministry of health had reported huge gaps related to water chlorination, water quality testing and environmental sanitation.

It recommended that damaged or collapsed latrines be closed with soil to prevent further contamination – an activity not currently being implemented.

Morbidity reports received from Khartoum and Jazira states have also indicated an increase in malaria cases over the past two weeks.

Heavy rains and floods hit large areas of the country earlier this month, leaving a trail of destruction and displacing thousands of people.

According to official figures provided by Sudan’s the interior minister, Ibrahim Mahmoud Hamid, last Thursday, 40,578 families or about 200,000 people have been affected by the floods.

He said 20,207 homes had completely collapsed and 21,999 had been partially damaged, while 3,000 heads of livestock perished and 251 public buildings were impacted.

Initial estimates released by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) put the number of affected people at 150,000, with 84,000 in the area around the capital Khartoum.

Poor drainage and urban planning makes Khartoum particularly vulnerable to flash flooding, but even so this year’s surge was unusually severe.

WHO said 48 people had died in the heavy floodwaters, while 70 were injured. Property damage has been reported in 48 localities across 14 states.

Despite the large-scale impact of the floodwaters, Hamid said the situation did not warrant declaring Sudan a “disaster area” which could potentially help solicit more external aid, stressing the situation is under control.

The government has faced increasing public backlash amid claims its flood preparations and response was grossly inadequate.

WHO says it is working to implement a range of health activities in cooperation with other international relief agencies operating in flood affected areas.

Emergency support is currently being mobilised, particularly food, shelter, water, sanitation, hygiene and health services.

MORE FLOOD RELIEF

The Korean government announced on Tuesday it would provide $50,000 in humanitarian aid through WHO to help Sudan recover from floods, including the distribution of hygiene items and disease control.

The German government also pledged 450,000 euros on Tuesday to help with emergency relief, bringing the total humanitarian aid for Sudan this year to about 3.1 million euros.

Similar flood relief was earlier provided by Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Qatar, UAE, Egypt, US, Japan and Ethiopia.

As aid continues to flow from international donors, there have been claims that relief supplies destined for flood victims have been stolen and funds mismanaged.

Meanwhile, the EU said it plans to dispatch humanitarian aid experts to urgently assess the needs on the ground.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 22 August 2013 05:43, by South South

    Aid which suppose to go these victims of flood was stolen by NCP members. All the items given to the victims of the flood in Sudan were seen in the market. Who stole them ? Brother Muslims. Shame on them. They use Islam to robe poor people in Sudan.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Sudan can not give what it does not have 2018-10-16 14:36:47 The Sudanese Regime Tends to Order Righteousness to others while ignoring doing so for itself By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Heads of Failed States in the African Continent are trying to save other (...)

Ethiopia’s PM should review policies 2018-10-14 20:42:05 Ethiopian Prime Minister Dr Abiy Ahmed needs to change course in some of the policies he introduced in Ethiopia before history that brought him to leadership repeat itself. By Lul Gatkuoth (...)

Evaluating the IGAD-led peace mediation in South Sudan 2018-10-09 13:19:50 Lako Jada Kwajok September 12, 2018, marked the signing in Addis Ababa of the revitalised peace agreement also known as Revitalised Agreement on the Resolution of Conflict in the Republic of (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


4th Annual Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Forum Announced for 25th October 2018 2018-10-15 12:38:14 PRESS RELEASE OCTOBER 14, 2018 Africa’s leading entrepreneurship-focused philanthropic organisation, the Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF), has announced October 25, 2018, as the date for its (...)

Unity State community in Kenya supports Khartoum peace agreement 2018-08-17 08:33:21 PRESS STATMENT 14th Aug, 2018 Re: We shall Rally behind Khartoum Peace Agreement The Unity State Community Association in Kenya was established in 2010 to organize and mobilize the people of (...)

The Suspension of Hurriyat Online Newspaper 2018-04-29 07:04:37 Sudan Democracy First Group 28 April 2018 The Sudanese civil and political circles and those concerned with Sudan were shocked by the news that the management of Hurriyat online newspaper has (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.