August 15, 2013 (BOR) - The Commissioner for Bor County in Jonglie State, Agot Alier, said that he expects no food shortages in his county next year as locals can now work and get food under a programme called Jonglei Food Security Program (JFSP).
The programme is being implemented by the Catholic Relief Service (CRS), Save the Children International (SCI) and Jonglei’s ministry of Agriculture, forestry, Livestock & Fisheries.
Under this scheme, community members carry out such work as clearing roads and are in return given food.
In an interview with Sudan Tribune on Tuesday, Agot Alier said the project is registering achievements.
“In all Payams of Bor County, food security programme has been going on well, the population has been engaged in clearance feeder roads exception of two Bomas of Werkok and of Kapaat due to local disputes,” he said.
The Commissioner said the project had also stabilised food prices in his county.
“I think this year with the policy of food for assets which has contributed actually in stabilizing the food situation, there was excellent farming this year in all the Payams and Bomas.”
Beneficiaries of the programme in Pariak told Sudan Tribune that they have received food since March this year.
Pandek Mac, one of the Chiefs in Bor said one road had been cleared under the project.
“We selected people to go for work on the road between Cueikeer and Pariak and at the end of some days, they come back and receive their food” said Pandek Mac.
The food security programme aims at benefiting 149,661 food insecure households in Jonglei by 2014.