August 15, 2013 (JUBA) - The United Nations has approved $ 6 million for aid agencies in South Sudan to deliver assistance to communities affected by conflict in Jonglei State, according to a statement released on Wednesday by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs(UNOCHA).
The money from the United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) is meant to provide food, nutrition supplements, and water and sanitation supplies to persons affected by violence in Jonglei.
Toby Lanzer, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator in South Sudan welcomed the approval of the funding saying it will help aid organisations to reach 60,000 people in need of assistance in the state.
‘‘This new funding will allow us to boost our response and with continued funding we hope to reach 60,000 people who have been severely affected by violence in Jonglei during recent months,” said Toby Lanzer.
For the aid to reach those in need, Lazer asked the authorities to ensure that civilians have freedom of movement.
“I count on all parties to ensure that civilians can move around freely and in safety to access basic services and humanitarian aid where they are available,” he said.
Despite the funding boost for humanitarian organisations, OCHA says they are still in need of about $420 million to provide critical assistance through the end of 2013.
Last week OCHA said in its weekly humanitarian bulletin on South Sudan that organisations operating in the country were in needs of $1.05 billion to feed three million vulnerable people across the country.