Home | News    Thursday 20 June 2013

Sudanese president meets China’s special envoy

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 19, 2013, (KHARTOUM) - The Sudanese president Omer Hassan al-Bashir met on Wednesday with Chinese special envoy to Africa Zhong Jianhua to discuss the former’s decision this month to shut down pipelines that carries oil from landlocked South Sudan for exporting into the international market.

JPEG - 31.2 kb
President Omer Al-Bashir (Reuters)

Jianhua, who arrived in Khartoum last week, has previously met with foreign minister Ali Karti and oil minister Awad al-Jaz.

According to state media, Bashir explained to the Chinese envoy in details the reasons that prompted the Khartoum to order the closure but he nonetheless renewed Sudan’s commitment to the cooperation agreements signed with Juba last year.

The Sudanese leader also expressed support to African Union (AU) efforts to defuse the fresh crisis between the two countries.

Jianhua on his end said that Beijing backs the AU and international mediators plan to end the row and normalize ties between Khartoum and Juba.

The Chinese official is expected to stop in both Juba and Addis Ababa for discussions on the same issue.

He later met with Bashir’s assistant Nafie Ali Nafie and said that China will work to bridge gap between Khartoum and Juba.

Sudan, aggravated by what it claims is Juba’s continued support to anti-Khartoum rebels, left the door open for reversing the decision if South Sudan gives up its backing to the insurgents operating in border states.

The suspension of oil flow is scheduled to take place within 60 days of Bashir’s directive but last week Khartoum said it accepted proposals of the head of the African Union High-level Implementation Panel (AUHIP) Thabo Mbeki.

It is unclear if that means a suspension of measures taken to start shutting down the pipelines. Sudan has formally notified Juba and the oil companies of the order and asked the latter to provide a plan and schedule to implement it.

That row threatens to hit supplies to Asian buyers such as China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC), India’s ONCG Videsh and Malaysia’s Petronas, which run the oilfields in both countries.

Reuters said that diplomats doubt Sudan will actually close the two cross-border export pipelines because its economy has been suffering without South Sudan’s pipeline fees.

Oil used to be the main source for Sudan’s budget until southern secession in July 2011, when Khartoum lost 75 percent of its oil production and its status as oil exporter overnight.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 20 June 2013 08:40, by SPLA

    THE ONLY SOLUTION TO SUCH BULLYING BY OMER IS CONSTRUCTIN AN ALTERNATIVE PIPELINE FOR EXPORTING GOSS. OIL. STOP WASTING TIME THIS HYPOCRITE BASHIRE.

    repondre message

    • 20 June 2013 11:26, by jacob mayen ajuoi

      for our President,always crying to African Union. peace...peace!! these will not solve our problem with Khartoum, southern should leave, Bashair alone and look for the alternative way. we are even tries with Khartoum, opening..closing opening closing.

      repondre message

  • 20 June 2013 17:46, by cbuongdit cholkua

    Put your hands down Bashir, you are not clean!!!

    repondre message

  • 21 June 2013 09:40, by martin duna

    the only solution to all what happening between sudan and south sudan will not come to an end. otherwise let them solve the ongoing issues and the problem of SPLMN.

    repondre message

  • 21 June 2013 10:23, by martin duna

    the only solution to all what happening between sudan and south sudan will not come to an end. otherwise let them solve the ongoing issues and the problem of SPLMN.ha ha ha , politician open your eye. you are going to ADDIS ABBA TO DISCUSS THE STANDING ISSUES BUT THEIR IS ONE THING WHICH IS VERY IMPORTANT TO INCLUDED IN YOUR DISCUSSION.LIKE I SAID ABOVE, WITHOUT SOLVING THIS STANDING HOT FIRE.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The leak AU’s report and IGAD’s threat of sanctions 2015-03-06 20:15:39 By James Okuk On March 7, 2014 and based on decision of the AU Peace and Security Council (PSC) and after consultations with different parties involved in the outbreak of the mid-December 2013 (...)

Doubts remain over South Sudan peace talks 2015-03-04 21:22:01 By John A. Akec News of a possible end to South Sudan’s 11-month-old conflict was received with guarded optimism at the start of February, and there were good reasons for this. On January 21, (...)

What do we expect from the final South Sudan Peace Talks? 2015-02-27 08:41:32 By Luka Biong Deng As the alleged final and last round of peace talks on South Sudan commenced in Addis Ababa, the people of South Sudan attach little hope and expect nothing as they have been (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Archbishop Taban calls for reconciliation and forgiveness 2015-02-23 09:30:38 February 2015 Greetings from Peace Village, Kuron. It is really a Peace Village. I had my peaceful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year in Kuron. God really blessed the area with Peace. You can (...)

WFP appreciates US additional support for S. Sudan’s hungry 2015-02-19 08:20:15 17 February 2015 (JUBA)- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of US$165.5 million from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to feed (...)

Press Release from the SPLM/A (IO) in Uganda 2015-02-11 09:39:09 February 10, 2015 1. The office of the SPLM/A (IO) and the presence of its diplomatic representation that was established under the Kampala outcome of the 21st August 2014 is operational and has (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.